How hot is too hot for your RC motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willl

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Ran my car around for about 30 mins. and decided to see how hot my battery and motor were when I was done

Battery was warm but my motor was hotter than expected, my laser temperature gun read 97 degrees Fahrenheit on the motor case

What is there a safe range for RC motors and batteries in degrees?

My motto 180 degrees. I live in hell zone.
Nah this is hell zone :ROFLMAO:
eorN7cf.jpg

^^^ yeah 97F is not even breaking a sweat. Always compare motor temps and ESC temps. Need to know both. While you are there check the center diff temps and lipo temps. This way you will have an idea when things are heating up. They all can mean something different.
For me Motor temps at 160F and I question my gearing or other issues. But I am on the conservative side of things. A motor's armature will delaminate above 200F-212F. Not to mention the bearings take a beating. The magnets lose their flux, brakes start to fade....

^^^ yeah 97F is not even breaking a sweat. Always compare motor temps and ESC temps. Need to know both. While you are there check the center diff temps and lipo temps. This way you will have an idea when things are heating up. They all can mean something different.
For me Motor temps at 160F and I question my gearing or other issues. But I am on the conservative side of things. A motor's armature will delaminate above 200F-212F. Not to mention the bearings take a beating. The magnets lose their flux, brakes start to fade....
Center diff is one thing I never chk, it's like the only thing that doesn't give me issues. F an R diffs are another story. I wish I could run long enough to heat the motor, although my fans scream like jet turbines so the motor never really can get hot...

Yea, ever since my center diff meltdown at 200F +, cup blew out and all, I am always focused on the center for some reason. I felt it actually overheated my motor too from the heat transfer.

Yep. All those "data points" can give you very valuable insight as to what's going on.

^^^Good to have a baseline. You will know when things are are going south, before major issues crop up.:)

All good advice thanks

I got a temperature reading of 76 degrees on my ESC which I thought was too low but I was having a tough time getting a good angle to check with

Maybe 97 degrees on the motor and the 76 degrees on the ESC was correct?

What temperature readings are in the normal range for a differential?

Check your temp gun against other sources of heat. Just to verify. I have several temp guns. They are not all that equal sometimes. But An ESC as low as 76F is a dream for most of us. You cant be too low. Only too high. ?‍♂️
Its always good to know the actual ambient temp reads/outside temps when temping your rig. Running rig temps are usually relative to ambients.( air temps)
:cool:

I don't trust my temp gun, I'm sure it is off +/- 5 degrees on a good day

It's 45 degrees outside so I'm still working on getting a baseline for when I run it in the summer

Once I get use to the car it should all become 2nd nature :)

I hit 254F on an arrma blx2050kv motor once. My fans died and I didn't know it. Now I can spin the motor shaft with my fingers easily. I replaced it with a new one as it had very little torque after that.

I keep mine below 170F. Usually 140F-150F after a hard run.

I hit 254F on an arrma blx2050kv motor once. My fans died and I didn't know it. Now I can spin the motor shaft with my fingers easily. I replaced it with a new one as it had very little torque after that.

I keep mine below 170F. Usually 140F-150F after a hard run.

Sounds like you passed the "Curie Point" for the magnets, and they lost their magnetization.

Been there, TRX VXL motors get there fast.
KT got his velineon 3500 to 260 or 270 degrees in one of his videos running it on 6s. Lived through it too.

Imo keep it under 180. In all my trucks that I follow this rule with, I usually never go through a motor. On my revo with space restrictions, the motor is always gonna run hot, and on that I usually set my limit to 210 degrees. I go through a motor about every 100 packs so I can’t complain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back