How Important are the Looks of an RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just curious as to how important the looks of an RC are to you? I can say they play a fairly significant role in my purchases, for better or worse. Case in point. I bought a Senton Mega 4x4 (converted to brushless) because I thought it looked great. Turns out I hated SCT's, no matter how good they look. Another example would be the Tekno MT410. I've read nothing but great things about them but I find them beyond ugly. I can't stand the thin (width) chassis and the bodies are 10 pounds of ugly stuffed into a 5 pound bag ?. I don't think I could ever get past that.

Bonus question: Which Arrma is the best looking? For me it's the Notorious. While it is probably my least favorite Arrma to drive, I think it looks absolutely amazing ???

I for one have always hated SCTs. Just happened to watch a few mins of Vas’ review of the V3 6S Senton a few mins ago and it reinforced my hatred. Those things are pigs with little wheels. Hard pass.

I like buggies and monster trucks. Right now my Granite 3S is converted to a Typhon 3S running Road Rage 2.8s looking like an F1 racer. The small wheel size limits the speed however, so I just ordered some GRP S2 slicks ??

Going to look for some MT slicks for the rear to complete the race car look. Big fat slicks out back with thinner up front.

Racing fact #92: A sweet paint job makes your car go faster.
Especially in red.

I love the looks of short course trucks, and my Senton is a lot of fun to drive, but its not on the same level as a Kraton.
I currently have a really slow progressing project of a widened chassis monster truck with a short course body. Should be a riot with the planned 8s power too.

Looks are very important IMO. If it's fugly probably wouldn't buy. Best looking Arrma is a hard choice. Notorious is awesome looking. V4 Kraton in blue is also a looker. Granite blx in orange is cool looking and probably why I own it. Can't deny 4s Kraton is nice looking also.

I'm just curious as to how important the looks of an RC are to you? I can say they play a fairly significant role in my purchases, for better or worse. Case in point. I bought a Senton Mega 4x4 (converted to brushless) because I thought it looked great. Turns out I hated SCT's, no matter how good they look. Another example would be the Tekno MT410. I've read nothing but great things about them but I find them beyond ugly. I can't stand the thin (width) chassis and the bodies are 10 pounds of ugly stuffed into a 5 pound bag ?. I don't think I could ever get past that.

Bonus question: Which Arrma is the best looking? For me it's the Notorious. While it is probably my least favorite Arrma to drive, I think it looks absolutely amazing ???
Agreed!! The black Notorious is a sexy beast! Although I find it my favorite to drive...sweet sweet Black Betty is so good to me.
Those things are pigs with little wheels. Hard pass.
X2
Just watching them drive around makes me sleepy...no character or lines. Just a box zipping around.
Seeing the wheels and suspension bounce around is what makes the buggies and MTs fun to watch and funner to drive, IMO (which is as good as FACT!) ?

Attachments

• 15596151177664890306958889007281.jpg
    15596151177664890306958889007281.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Great question, and seeing as how I'm so shallow of a human being, I'm definitely on board that looks are very important. The most prime example of this is the day I bought my Notorious. The lhs guy did everything he could to get me to buy the Kraton, knowing the mess I'd made with my last rc. It would track better, jump straighter, and be far more forgiving to my twitchy trigger finger. He even showed me a video they had just made at a show, jumping it over 100 feet between two ramps. But the one they had in stock was the V3 camo green, and it was sitting right beside the blue Noto on a makeshift mountain display in their showroom. I went back three times that week while trying to choose my first Arrma. Well, we know how that story ended. I love taking pics of my rc's, and nothing beats look of the Notorious, except maybe an Outcast in the right lighting. I've seen a lot of real nice bodies of different rigs here on the forum and custom paint jobs to die for. The attention to detail that some of you put into your rigs, makes me believe that looks are an important part of the rc hobby. Keep it up, cause I know I can't do a tenth of the work I've seen here, so I'll just continue to drool over the hard work you pro bodymen keep putting into yours. Here's two of my favorite pics of my truck in different attire.
20190530_205754.jpg
20190507_205422.jpg

You say for the MT410 that "the bodies are 10 pounds of ugly stuffed into a 5 pound bag" but they don't come with a body, so if you wanted to put a Notorious body on it with Backflip rims and tires, you could. And then with the body on it, it would look almost identical to the Notorious without the wing. But yes, the painted bodies that Tekno shows all of their vehicles with are hideous in my opinion.

My most important things are durability, parts support and ease of working on. If I went off of looks, I probably wouldn't have gotten Arrma as I'm not a fan of the red and would have preferred blue, or green or pink or pretty much anything besides red. But it is what it is.

You say for the MT410 that "the bodies are 10 pounds of ugly stuffed into a 5 pound bag" but they don't come with a body, so if you wanted to put a Notorious body on it with Backflip rims and tires, you could. And then with the body on it, it would look almost identical to the Notorious without the wing. But yes, the painted bodies that Tekno shows all of their vehicles with are hideous in my opinion.

My most important things are durability, parts support and ease of working on. If I went off of looks, I probably wouldn't have gotten Arrma as I'm not a fan of the red and would have preferred blue, or green or pink or pretty much anything besides red. But it is what it is.
It's the skinny chassis that I dislike. Good point about the alternative bodies.

It's the skinny chassis that I dislike. Good point about the alternative bodies.
Yes, I don't care for the skinny compact chassis but when the body is on it, you don't really see it at all..........except when you are looking up at it off of a jump. It makes working on stuff more of a PITA in my opinion.

Yes, I don't care for the skinny compact chassis but when the body is on it, you don't really see it at all..........except when you are looking up at it off of a jump. It makes working on stuff more of a PITA in my opinion.
Doesn't M2C make a wide chassis for it?

Looks are definitely a deciding factor for me. There is a reason I don't have a single short course truck, I think the bodies they make for them are the most hideous things on the planet and no amount of paint and graphics could ever make me want one.
32nlrv.jpg

Looks are definitely a deciding factor for me. There is a reason I don't have a single short course truck, I think the bodies they make for them are the most hideous things on the planet and no amount of paint and graphics could ever make me want one.
View attachment 40058
Yasssssssss!!!

I like them. They resemble actual vehicles. Too bad they are poop to drive compared to big tired skinny bodied things.

Looks are very important to me, judging by my past few purchases including a senton 6s a year ago. I for one really like sct’s. Cut out the back part of the body and the parachuting is gone like it never happened.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back