Granite How important is ABEC rating in a motor bearing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rubber sealed is probably my #1 priority, at least at the pinion end. I'll dig into the Acer bearings now...

Defeats the purpose for me. Jim's Bearings has metal shielded motor bearings in stock. I don't know the specs. If rubber sealed is not your priority, you may want to check.
Send a private message to jim itself it made the kraton 4s bearing kit available when i asked
Rubber sealed is probably my #1 priority, at least at the pinion end. I'll dig into the Acer bearings now...
Yup
The bearing in the endcap is quite nice avoid to put rubber sealed bearing on there or when you want to take it out bread will flood your bearing like mine did?

Last edited:
I have, but they are out of stock and have been for quite some time.

I did contact Boca about these bearings. The speed limit is 25,600 rpm, so they do not recommend these bearings in these motors - the bearing in my original post is what Boca recommends, but they are ABEC 1.

abec357.com sells a very similar orange shield bearing for a little less, but they state that the speed limit is 26,500 rpm.

TRBRC bearings seem to top out at 35,000 rpm, which is again too low.

I have been running those in my Typhon for some time now and have not had any problems.

I have been running those in my Typhon for some time now and have not had any problems.
Can I ask how long you've been using them? Both Boca and abec357 are saying no to these bearings, but neither manufacture them so they're going off a manufacturer spec sheet. They may well be conservatively rated. Do you have the oiled or greased version?
The bearing in the endcap is quite nice avoid to put rubber sealed bearing on there or when you want to take it out bread will flood your bearing like mine did?
This is good to know - metal shield in the endcap it is.

Can I ask how long you've been using them? Both Boca and abec357 are saying no to these bearings, but neither manufacture them so they're going off a manufacturer spec sheet. They may well be conservatively rated. Do you have the oiled or greased version?

I have my acer racing bearings almost a year old still spin nice with oil in them has play but i think its normal for a motor bearing even the stock ones does it?‍♀️. They still spin like new and the seals do a killer job to keep crap out but idk about whats better oil or grease for the motor bearings

Like 3 months or so. Weird thing is those are the bearings that Boca recommended to me.

Like 3 months or so. Weird thing is those are the bearings that Boca recommended to me.

I think they recommended another bearing because I specifically I inquired about the low rpm limit specified for this bearing. Had I not asked for clarification on their own datasheet I'm sure they would have recommended the same bearing to me.

At this point I'm pretty sure that the 25600 rpm indicated on the data sheet for the orange seal 5x16x5 bearing is actually the rpm limit for the balls with respect to each race. The bearing rpm limit (inner race with respect to outer race) would then be double that, or 51200 rpm, which is more than enough. Boca is looking into it some more. Other than the (mis)information Boca has provided, I'm pretty sure these bearings are just fine in these motors. All other orange seal bearings on Boca's site that do specify bearing rpm limit with grease are between 59k and 70k. Granted they are all smaller bearings and so will have higher rpm limits, but they're not that much smaller.

I think they recommended another bearing because I specifically I inquired about the low rpm limit specified for this bearing. Had I not asked for clarification on their own datasheet I'm sure they would have recommended the same bearing to me.

At this point I'm pretty sure that the 25600 rpm indicated on the data sheet for the orange seal 5x16x5 bearing is actually the rpm limit for the balls with respect to each race. The bearing rpm limit (inner race with respect to outer race) would then be double that, or 51200 rpm, which is more than enough. Boca is looking into it some more. Other than the (mis)information Boca has provided, I'm pretty sure these bearings are just fine in these motors. All other orange seal bearings on Boca's site that do specify bearing rpm limit with grease are between 59k and 70k. Granted they are all smaller bearings and so will have higher rpm limits, but they're not that much smaller.
Even stranger is I found those particular bearings under the motor bearings category. ?‍♂️

Even stranger is I found those particular bearings under the motor bearings category. ?‍♂️
Yep. I had the same observation. The bearings Boca recommended are not even under the brushless motor bearings category. I'm pretty sure I've found a much cheaper source for this bearing than Boca, also out of Florida.

Do you guys swap out the motor bearings before they fail. I've done the repair and it wasnt fun getting the broken one out of the can. I've got a new stock (blx100) motor. Should I change bearing before use?

Do you guys swap out the motor bearings before they fail. I've done the repair and it wasnt fun getting the broken one out of the can. I've got a new stock (blx100) motor. Should I change bearing before use?
I was completely unable to get a broken one out, so yeah, I'm currently waiting for my bearings before I run the new motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back