Kraton How important is it to shim the diffs ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disregard my last response to this post. Just blew out my rear un shimmed diff.
;)

Again it's really not much a question of being necessary or not, but more of preventative maintenance and prolonging the life of the diff. Similar how you can run bushings perfectly fine but if you want better performance and durability a nice set of ball bearings would be idea - but in the same way bearings aren't "necessary".

On the flip side, shimming a diff doesn't mean you can expect to do 3 story jumps and landing full throttle and expect not to blow something. :D

My center diff in my V1 Kraton has never been shimmed but taken apart many times for diff oil changes, etc. I've never had a issue even though shimming is always on this list to do...and then last weekend the center diff started marking some horrific crunching noises and I was like "well, it finally caught up to me...". So I took it apart only to find the 4 screws holding the spur gear to the diff had come loose and the gear mesh was very loose. So I cleaned and inspected all the gears and no damage. So, even un-shimmed, these diff's are pretty tough!

IMG_0980.JPG
I like the large shim between the pin and the case mostly for this reason. Seems like a no brainer in my opinion. Nothing really has to be done with any rc if you are happy with the way it is. Sometimes that's the best way. Like I said.... it's a matter of taste and preference.

Last edited:
Wow, that pin did some work...:nailbiting:
BTW, who's Mr. Crankenstein??

Wow, that pin did some work...:nailbiting:
BTW, who's Mr. Crankenstein??
Lol... he's on another thread getting all mad about stuff. He wanted a part number and I posted it for him in the wrong place. Or in 2 places.

Out of box brand new I took all diffs apart an shimmed, also needed to add two more shims to outside diff at bearing,,rear had more play in it then front. Show me how well plastic parts are to duplicate an match up..Also went with HR housing all around, changed pinion to 15 right away when center diff was out. had to apply heat to break lotite at aluminum points.also added HR center stand. Another thing is if your running grass off road an can't see the high an low spots in the yard or field,drop the tbone bummper off,it's a flip scoop.
Lol flip scoop

Well, I got about 15 minutes into a good run and the crunching came back...and kept getting worse. I think this old diff has about had it. I can rotate the diff by holding up the front wheels and pushing the truck backwards and there's a spot where it binds and locks up. Guess I'll take it apart again!

Found the issue.
Just like Vannings photo above, the outdrive pin started to eat away at the metal in the diff cup. This caused a lot of side to side (not in and out) play and under load it bent enough that it destroyed the bearing and the gears bound up tight. Basically, I had a locked diff and the truck was an uncontrollable back flip machine for a few minutes...
Now this is the original V1 diff that has tons on runs on it but I will be shimming the diff gears for sure when I rebuild this.

So here is my personal take on this whole issue I had a v1 Talion and on 4s it was a diff eater but that's not why I'm here I bought a v2 kraton about 2weeks ago and I can say I drive my rc every day just today I started hearing that same crunching noise coming from the back if not shiming the actual gears itself then the one shim that goes on the bearing is a must a have gone thru so many input gears it's not even funny anymore on a side note the servo mount mod is also worth it and inexpensive to extend the life of your servo I'm currently waiting for my servo to come back and gonna be contacting early tomorrow for that gear

The Kraton was my first real RC car. Total noob. I was able to tear it down, change all the bearings, shim the diffs, add diff fluid of my choosing, and slap on a new esc and receiver just by watching you tube videos, forums and google searches. It was actually a great learning experience and very satisfying sense of accomplishment. I say shim them. You will eventually have to crack them open for diff fluid maintenance anyway. Might as well add the shims. No biggie.

Yep, I just built a brand new center diff for the Kraton and shimmed it up!

This is good information. I didn't realize shimming the diffs would be that beneficial. I will likely tackle this when my Kraton arrives.

I basically did it early on since I was changing the fluids in all my diffs, so since they were open why not? Had I left the stock fluids in them, I would have waited. I don't sail my trucks into orbit so really didn't need it. Then again, I enjoy wrenching on stuff so I may have done it anyway. Who am I kidding? Never mind! LOL

don't even get me started on this one.

Just do whatever the F... you want.

I have not done mine, and have never on any RC, always run factory shimming, and never EVER blown a diff.
BUT I also don't jump them 20 feet in the air.

Seeing that everyone in this FORUM, yes, because this shimming deal has gone viral, ridiculous is an understatement.

I will see if I go ahead and be a tool, and soon make a shimming diy to once put to rest such mysterious "upgrade" that many look for.

Factory shimming is .20mm, go baby steps, .25mm

I use them from the Sportwerks Mayhem/ Turmoil, if its good for nitro, it will do so for electric.
Part number SWK3080, spider gear shims .25mm: MAY
Part number SWK3090, differential shims: MAY

* I have three Sportwerks Mayhems/ Turmoils, thats the ones that work for me.

I care less about shimming, to me its silly, but seeing so much inquiry about it, there it is, TINKER ON!

sorry if this has been posted somewhere..i have tried looking eveywhere.
Can someone send me part numbers for shims that will work on v3 senton 6s? i would like to shim all 3 diffs and cant seem to figure out which parts to order. it would be much appreciated if someone that has done this for senton v3 6s cant chime in.

not sure of senton diffs are the same as kraton and typhon 6s ?

I'd say shim like Arrma did on the V4, with Arrma V4 parts.

Pretty sure they tested many variables before making the choices they did..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back