Kraton How important is the front sway bar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Talion
I have a v3 kraton that I've been modifying over the past couple of months and bash daily. Yesterday I came down from a large jump and broke a wheel (mx38/f11) and one sway bar link. I've already ordered a replacement but don't want to stop bashing while I wait for parts. My question is will I do more damage to my truck somehow by removing the sway bar completely until parts arrive? Would it be better to use links from rear sway bar to keep front bar in place and remove rear while waiting? Only a year into rc and still a lot to learn. Thanks for your time in helping me with this question.

All a sway bar (anti-roll bar) does is lift the opposing wheel when a wheel is lifted.

It keeps the car/truck from leaning and therefore helps maintain composure.

You hurt nothing by removing it other than control when driving.

Some people on real world cars remove them and like the independent action of the wheels better.

Some people put on super large/stiff sway bars in an effort to keep their vehicles 'flat' in turns as to not interrupt tire contact patch or angle.

If you have a sway bar and hit a bump with one wheel- the opposing wheel is lifted as well.

On a smooth surface, and a fast turn this keeps the car level, limits weight transfer and disruption of tire hitting the road on both sides.

On a bumpy road- you can bounce one wheel- causing the other to lift quickly and needlessly- dropping the chassis ground clearance and loosing suspension travel.

So all depends on your preferences balanced with driving style and terrain.

Thanks! I now understand their purpose. I appreciate you explaining it the way you did to make it easy to understand. I think I'll remove both and see if I like the way it drives without them. I live in Kentucky and mainly bash construction sites and ramps in my side yard so the extra flexibility may suit my terrain better. Thanks again!

If memory serves, @Notorious J doesn't run his rig with the sway bars, but I could be wrong. They aren't as necessary when they main thing you do is bash but each to their own
I don't have one on the back, but not by choice. The little cover that holds it on the case had it's holes elongated, so it's hard to keep it on. Sway bars add some tension, depending on how you set them. Probably more important for running on a track or asphalt to improve handling. I don't think the average user would miss them if they weren't there.

I tried it last weekend because I also broke one of the sway bar links, didn't like the way it cornered. So I took the sway bar from the back and mounted this on the front, now it's no problem and cornering is good again.

Although it's a thread revival, I did remove the sway bars from my Talion because this time of year when the outdoor tracks are unkempt and get really bumpy I always find my rcs stay more composed without the sway bars. Too many one wheel hits developing in the track. If I ran on nice clay id leave them but for rowdy terrain I find them a detriment.

I took mine off my outcast because I was annoyed at dealing with them when I was first having diff issues... and now I've repurposed the screw holes on the rear one for the t-bone skid/wheelie bar, but I suppose I could try finding them and put the front one back on. Might help it be a bit less tippy at the grass skate park, although, it's not bad as the truck is so wide, it usually just slides with the wrapped trencher 3.8's. My ERBEv2 is very tippy as is my stampede 4x4.

Might be a bit difficult to see but...

20191016_140312.jpg
20191016_140255.jpg

This the rear sway bar of an Infraction. The Front Sway bar will look identical, just a bit to hidden on the Infraction.

Thanks a lot?...actually for what is it for?

Per @PowerDubs

"All a sway bar (anti-roll bar) does is lift the opposing wheel when a wheel is lifted.

It keeps the car/truck from leaning and therefore helps maintain composure.

You hurt nothing by removing it other than control when driving.

Some people on real world cars remove them and like the independent action of the wheels better.

Some people put on super large/stiff sway bars in an effort to keep their vehicles 'flat' in turns as to not interrupt tire contact patch or angle.

If you have a sway bar and hit a bump with one wheel- the opposing wheel is lifted as well.

On a smooth surface, and a fast turn this keeps the car level, limits weight transfer and disruption of tire hitting the road on both sides.

On a bumpy road- you can bounce one wheel- causing the other to lift quickly and needlessly- dropping the chassis ground clearance and loosing suspension travel.

So all depends on your preferences balanced with driving style and terrain."

I know it's an old thread but I noticed a HUGE difference running the car with no sway bar - it would just traction roll in the corners on any kind of high grip surface. I would say they are essential even for bashing but maybe just keep them quite loose by adjusting the end points out as far as possible.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back