Outcast How long does a 16t pinion last?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindazzle

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
i have an outcast exb which ive been running on 16t with over 30 runs. it finally chipped and was wondering if this is a normal life span of the pinion? the pinion is made by robinson racing and running the stock spur. tia.

i have an outcast exb which ive been running on 16t with over 30 runs. it finally chipped and was wondering if this is a normal life span of the pinion? the pinion is made by robinson racing and running the stock spur. tia.
I doubt it.. unless that's just 30 straight up sends.. post a pic

Heres a pic.

PXL_20220711_000400991.jpg

Is it me or does that look like a slightly loose mesh? I have never understood why the 6s line has such a narrow spur... The contact area is :oops:

Hard to say - if you can get a better photo facing where the spur and pinion mesh (move the motor wires away off the retaining clip) that would show the mesh better.

Really depends on the dirt and dust egress.. what kind of conditions are you running in?

On paved road mostly but I did recently ran it once on a gravel road. Could a stuck rock may have caused this? The spur seems to have all the teeth intact.
Hard to say - if you can get a better photo facing where the spur and pinion mesh (move the motor wires away off the retaining clip) that would show the mesh better.

Alright, I'll get a picture by tomorrow. Thanks.

There is significant wear on that gear set.. it just gave up the ghost with the tooth being so thin, It was inevitable...

Here's another angle...

1657632976316.png

There is significant wear on that gear set.. it just gave up the ghost with the tooth being so thin, It was inevitable...

So is it normal wear or is my mesh set incorrectly? i've adjusted the mesh based on youtube advise and all is well until now.

Here's another angle...

View attachment 229301

So is it normal wear or is my mesh set incorrectly? i've adjusted the mesh based on youtube advise and all is well until now.

The only way to know if the mesh was correct is for you to set up a new gear set, (pinion and spur)... Set it up how you did before mesh wise and show us pictures and a video..

When properly setup you should be able to rock the spur back and forth just enough to get a tick tick noise throughout the circumference of the spur..

If what you say about the 30 runs is accurate your roughly around 8 hrs of run time on that gear set.. which probably isn't that far off with dirt egress..

If your mesh is correct, then it is what it is, and that's the time you can expect out of a gear set...👍

The only way to know if the mesh was correct is for you to set up a new gear set, (pinion and spur)... Set it up how you did before mesh wise and show us pictures and a video..

When properly setup you should be able to rock the spur back and forth just enough to get a tick tick noise throughout the circumference of the spur..

If what you say about the 30 runs is accurate your roughly around 8 hrs of run time on that gear set.. which probably isn't that far off with dirt egress..

If your mesh is correct, then it is what it is, and that's the time you can expect out of a gear set...👍

Thanks for the great feedback. I had watched that pinion/spur "tick tock" youtube vid several times and made sure everything was set. i've ordered a replacement and backup opinion gear and i'm actually due for a full tear down maintenance for diff and shock oil and i'll inspect the spur as well.

fyi, i found a picture when i first installed the pinion and i think i had never adjusted the mesh since then.

1657661015347.png

fyi, i found a picture when i first installed the pinion and i think i had never adjusted the mesh since then.

View attachment 229375
Mesh is too loose unless you just got unlucky with an extra oblong gear/s.

You want them just far enough apart that you can feel the "click" all the way around when you rock them back and forth, but no more than that.

Mesh is too loose unless you just got unlucky with an extra oblong gear/s.

You want them just far enough apart that you can feel the "click" all the way around when you rock them back and forth, but no more than that.
Oh yeah neither the spur nor the pinion are ever truly round, but the pinions usually aren't noticeable, the spurs on the other hand you can tell heck a lot of times the spurs aren't even flat, like if you spin the diff and look at it from the top and watch you can see that the spur actually moves off the center line a few mm in either direction. The crown gears on the front and rear diffs are the same way. I'm yet to find a spur that has ever been round and flat they all have a high spot and aren't flat.

Oh yeah neither the spur nor the pinion are ever truly round, but the pinions usually aren't noticeable, the spurs on the other hand you can tell heck a lot of times the spurs aren't even flat, like if you spin the diff and look at it from the top and watch you can see that the spur actually moves off the center line a few mm in either direction. The crown gears on the front and rear diffs are the same way. I'm yet to find a spur that has ever been round and flat they all have a high spot and aren't flat.
Could the gear "wobble" not also be caused by uneven tightening of the four diff gear screws though? I've noticed variation in the amount of wobble of the center diff gear from time to time and sometimes (like now) none at all. Perhaps it's not seating properly, issues with the diff seal, etc.? Just a thought.

Could the gear "wobble" not also be caused by uneven tightening of the four diff gear screws though? I've noticed variation in the amount of wobble of the center diff gear from time to time and sometimes (like now) none at all. Perhaps it's not seating properly, issues with the diff seal, etc.? Just a thought.
I've noticed it on cars with slippers too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back