How long will this thing last? Bets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnowAir

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave EXB
I have this Tenshock 802L 2200kv motor that I bought about 10 years ago. It's been in quite a few different rigs over the years, most recently in my Mojave. Been running on 4 and 5s. Just a personal preference over 6s.
I had it apart to oil the bearings before installing in the Mojave last year and made an alarming discovery..there's no wrap on the rotor? I oiled the bearings and away it went..been fine, actually great. I recently swapped the stock tires out for Duratrax blinders to hopefully get better traction on clay. They're a bit taller and wider than the fortress but zero offset, so the tires are still tucked under the body nicely.
I have actually gotten enough traction to pull the front wheels down the straights on 5s with it!! Sweet!! Well, that is until my Hobao rtr 150a esc started hitting thermal shutdown.. motor is hitting around 130f, esc at the shroud is about 130 also. I'm sure I'm not getting a good read due to the shroud, but the esc is pumping some heat for sure..it even smells hot.
I have a 14t pinion on, but unfortunately don't have a 13t on hand.
I think I'm going to swap the Tenshock 2200 for a blx 2050kv from the mt410 and see if that's enough to keep things in check.. but yeah, take a look at this rotor..how long will it last? Apparently the wrap isn't the only thing that holds the magnets on the rotor?

20220927_181756.jpg

20220927_181748.jpg

Weird right? I mean, yeah, it's been hotter than recommended a time or 2, but why does it still live? I chalked it up when I put it in the Mojave..figured, it'll go till it doesn't right? LOL.
This is a 6 pole motor but that shouldn't mean anything?

Last edited:
I expected something like this..

20220927_182002.jpg

I expected something like this
I am guessing some parts of it are welded in place. I'd run it till it breaks for sure assuming it does not kill the ESC also.
Yeah, that would be my only concern..taking the esc out if the motor dead shorts..
The Tenshock is now installed in my mt410 behind a blx185..so if the blx takes an eternal brownout, no big deal.. I have the Hobao 150a on deck.. Installed an Xerun 150 in the mojave, definitely don't want to loose that one.

Last edited:
Maybe that's just how they did things 10 years ago?

Obviously in this case the wrap isn't what's been holding the rotor together, otherwise you would have already seen sparks 💥 I'm with others, I'd say run it!

All the magnets are glued in place with epoxy, Kevlar will give added strength. The epoxy is what typically fails due to heat.
Very odd that the last 1/3 is offset, it's either broken or by design. Probably an early attempt on getting a better angle and more speed. That motor must be from the pre-ESC days that have this done via settings. I could be way off, though, never seen this in real life.

Not sure either, but I seem to remember even when I bought it, Tenshock was bragging about the kevlar wrap. I bought this as a combo with an Xerun 150a from Funshobby. Came straight from China. Think it was 2011. Tenshock still sells the exact same motor today, literally looks identical.
I have a Turnigy trackstar 4068 6 pole 2560kv from Hobbyking that looks identical to this Tenshock. Can't remember if it had a wrap on the rotor or not. I had it apart about a year ago to oil bearings..my memory must be shot, or I have too many toys,LOL.
My experiment didn't work as intended.. the Tenshock is running a bit hot in the mt410 with an 18t pinion, and the mojave esc(Xerun) is getting hot still too. Unfortunately my mojave spit a rear dogbone out 5 minutes into testing tonight. Now, after dinner it's too dark to do anything. Soon even darker with the daylight savings bs..ain't saving any daylight for me? LOL
I guess it's time to pay the piper..the mojave is getting cranky..diffs are sloppy. Actually the front diff is acting like it has a locker in it, the rear is flopping around so bad it's spitting driveshafts out.. No complaints, it's just about 2 years old I believe, and never done any actual diff shimming or rebuilding. She owes me nothing, more the other way around actually.
I'll likely just buy complete new diffs with housings from JRC for it. IDK

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back