How many here vents their tires through the rubber ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I accidentally added another vent hole to my of my trenchers on my outcast the other day. Was pulling a long long wheelie and ended up at a pretty high rate of speed, then just before hitting a fence, I mashed the brake. Was too late, the truck nose came down just in time to get jammed under the heavy gauge chain link fence and got the tire stuck on the fence. Luckily, I didn't get too mad and make it worse when removing it. Patched the hole with a bicycle inner tube and CA. Did that in the past on a sidewall tear for one of my nitro's and it held up for a long long time.

2018-0802-Outcast-TrencherTireTear.jpg

2018-0802-Outcast-TrencherTireTearRepair.jpg

Just got a kraton and decided to vent the tires. I use a drumel tool, it worked out great. Had to wash the truck with water once already and after I got done I ran it up and down the street and water was flying out so it must work pretty good.

After reading this thread im confused as to what works best... sealed or not.
My concern is keeping a balanced tire and it makes sense that the foam would act like a filter. Any new information on this?

After reading this thread im confused as to what works best... sealed or not.
My concern is keeping a balanced tire and it makes sense that the foam would act like a filter. Any new information on this?
I've found that when I had sealed tyres they eventually got dirt into them through the side where they started to un-glue themselves, which definitely makes them unbalanced. I've had far fewer issues with tyres since I covered the wheel holes and vented the tyres. I use a brass tube in my drill sharpened with a hobby knife to make the holes. If you ever get water into your tyres this seems to work well at getting it out.

Last edited:
I've found that when I had sealed tyres they eventually got dirt into them through the side, where they started to un-glue themselves, which definitely makes them unbalanced. I've had far fewer issues with tyres since I covered the wheel holes and vented the tyres. I use a brass tube in my drill sharpened with a hobby knife to make the holes. If you ever get water into your tyres this seems to work well at getting it out.
Whats the exact size hole?
2 holes at 6 and 12 or 4 holes?

Whats the exact size hole?
2 holes at 6 and 12 or 4 holes?
I used a 1/8 on my losi buggy's, but 3/16 on the Kraton with Backflip tyres. Start with 2 or 4 equally spaced and careful to make a neat hole as you don't want the tyres to tear at that point. Here is a great video on the method I used.

I used a 1/8 on my losi buggy's, but 3/16 on the Kraton with Backflip tyres. Start with 2 or 4 equally spaced and careful to make a neat hole as you don't want the tyres to tear at that point. Here is a great video on the method I used.
Why a bigger hole with backflips?

The "group think" on this topic kills me, as I've yet to see one single purpose this serves.
I run all my tires completely sealed and never had any failure of any kind or had dirt or debris make its way inside the tire.

The "group think" on this topic kills me, as I've yet to see one single purpose this serves.
I run all my tires completely sealed and never had any failure of any kind or had dirt or debris make its way inside the tire.
It would be interesting to set up a vote.
I see theres good points on both ends of it is why im trying to get to the bottom of what to do with my new backflips

It would be interesting to set up a vote.
I see theres good points on both ends of it is why im trying to get to the bottom of what to do with my new backflips
If you don't vent them straight away, that's fine, but please cover the wheel holes, it will stop dirt and water getting in, these two things will kill your tyres(once the dirt is in you can't get it out without venting). I think that the vents help reduce tyre ballooning and will let any water that gets in, out. The main thing is to keep an eye on any part of the tyre coming unglued and fix it immediately, it will rip apart the tyre if left.

The brass tube can be bought at hobby stores and hardware stores.

Just had all 4 on my stampede, proline 2.8 trenchers, get saturated with water. I forgot to put holes in the tires. By the end of my first pack (25 minutes), it was totally undrivable at any speed over a walking pace.

That said, I didn't cover the holes in the wheels. But, unless your really diligent about gluing your tires before/during every run, you will end up with water in them if you drive in wet environments. Every one of my tires ends up with a spot or two unglued after every run. It just happens. Regardless of glue, prep, diligence, it happens over time. Even every preglued set I've bought have it happen.

So, to make it less of a constant point of maintenance, I put holes in the tires so the water can wring itself out and then I don't have to care about it until a tire comes half way unglued.

The very 1st thing I do to all new tires before they are ever put into service, is seal off each hole on the inside of the rim with a small piece of gorilla tape.
I inspect each tire after each run and usually only have to re-glue tiny areas about every 4-6 packs.
The simple fact of the matter is that, when you put holes into the face of a tire you are introducing dirt, sand, water and debris inside each tire. This increases ballooning, kills the foam and throws the tire off balance regardless of how fast you spin it trying to sling what's inside out. You'll never get it all out and it will only increase the weight of each wheel as time goes on.
The only way to remove ALL the dirt, water, sand and debris is to unmount, clean and reglue.

The very 1st thing I do to all new tires before they are ever put into service, is seal off each hole on the inside of the rim with a small piece of gorilla tape.
I inspect each tire after each run and usually only have to re-glue tiny areas about every 4-6 packs.
The simple fact of the matter is that, when you put holes into the face of a tire you are introducing dirt, sand, water and debris inside each tire. This increases ballooning, kills the foam and throws the tire off balance regardless of how fast you spin it trying to sling what's inside out. You'll never get it all out and it will only increase the weight of each wheel as time goes on.
The only way to remove ALL the dirt, water, sand and debris is to unmount, clean and reglue.
What exact glue are you using?

About every 4 or 5 months end up leaving the top off overnight and have to buy a new bottle. Problem is I'll go to buy a $8 bottle of CA and spend at least $100 every time I go in there.
The owner knows my weakness.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back