How many here vents their tires through the rubber ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 1/16" bit and drilled 3 holes in each of my Badlands MX38's. Sealed the vents in the wheels, works like a charm! Drill between, not through the lugs. Make the hole as small as you can because when you're spinning those tires the water will come out! the smaller the hole the less water that will get in in the first place.

I use a 1/16" bit and drilled 3 holes in each of my Badlands MX38's. Sealed the vents in the wheels, works like a charm! Drill between, not through the lugs. Make the hole as small as you can because when you're spinning those tires the water will come out! the smaller the hole the less water that will get in in the first place.
Last i saw people said to drill in the lug as it would be less likely to rip the tire when driving.

I found 1/8 tube at work and maybe the bit according to video. Still questioning whats best. I guess i can always seal the hole but that would only be after it is unbalanced.

Last i saw people said to drill in the lug as it would be less likely to rip the tire when driving.

I found 1/8 tube at work and maybe the bit according to video. Still questioning whats best. I guess i can always seal the hole but that would only be after it is unbalanced.
All I'd suggest is if you are unsure, tape up the holes in the rim, drive the car see how it handles. If you're happy leave it, if it doesn't seem to work, try the venting. That way you've not drilled the holes and then left wondering if having sealed wheels would have been better.

Last edited:
I covered the vents on the rims first without venting the tyres. Did the job of keeping stuff out, but tyres had too much bounce, handled poorly on uneven terrain. Finally got around to venting my tyres, what a difference that made. Used soldering iron, not a great result, but it works

I covered the vents on the rims first without venting the tyres. Did the job of keeping stuff out, but tyres had too much bounce, handled poorly on uneven terrain. Finally got around to venting my tyres, what a difference that made. Used soldering iron, not a great result, but it works

View attachment 31227
This is what I found to when I was running sealed tyres, the car would bounce around too much.

Good advice guys.
Ill run it grass and street for 2 packs , then seal the wheels and run another 2 packs and see if i notice the difference. If i do ill know what to do. I guess putting a hole not in the center of a lug is okay since your tires have yet to rip apart

Good advice guys.
Ill run it grass and street for 2 packs , then seal the wheels and run another 2 packs and see if i notice the difference. If i do ill know what to do. I guess putting a hole not in the center of a lug is okay since your tires have yet to rip apart
If they are brand new tyres maybe start with the holes covered, just so no dirt can get it in, then if you're still thinking of trying venting, remove the tape, run the car again, then try the vent holes last.

The simple fact of the matter is that, when you put holes into the face of a tire you are introducing dirt, sand, water and debris inside each tire. This increases ballooning
How does the dirt gets in if the centrifugal forces are the other way?
and if something did get while you were not rotating the wheel (locking the wheels while breaking?) then it's just there near the hole, it will flung out the moment you'll rotate the wheel again.

I've run this way on all my tires and the foams stays great.

I think it also helps with ballooning, as the air that want to expand due to the centrifugal forces, it can escape the tire and not push it to balloon.

How does the dirt gets in if the centrifugal forces are the other way?
and if something did get while you were not rotating the wheel (locking the wheels while breaking?) then it's just there near the hole, it will flung out the moment you'll rotate the wheel again.

I've run this way on all my tires and the foams stays great.

I think it also helps with ballooning, as the air that want to expand due to the centrifugal forces, it can escape the tire and not push it to balloon.
I think when riding through puddles , maybe slowly ... muddy water can get anywhere.
Water hopefully evaporates or gets pushed out but dirt will remain. This is just me guessing on why this question of which way is better.

I guess putting a hole not in the center of a lug is okay since your tires have yet to rip apart

I just normally put the hole in the center of a lug so there's more rubber around it to avoid having it tear in the future.

I very rarely run in dirt/mud/sand, so I don't think about that getting in my tires much. But I do run in wet grass, snow, grass with standing water (puddles at the skate park) quite a bit, so I do end up with water in the tires frequently, which is why I vent the tires. I don't really bother plugging the holes in the rims, but again, I rarely see dirt, so it's not a big concern to me.

So,
sealed tires bounce more than vented tires?

Interesting....

Can anyone explain why there's no measurable difference between a sealed tire with 0psi being dropped from 36" vs the same vented tire with 0psi being dropped from 36"?

Vented (maximum height of 1st bounce)

Sealed (maximum height of 1st bounce)

because the weight of the tire alone is not enough to compress it to the level that a significant amount of air needs to be exhaled and inhaled.

Interesting to see how it fares with the car connected to the wheel.

I think i take it back, you can see that the vented wheel compresses, while the sealed have almost no compresssion (hard to see with this amount of light).
if it does, then the sealed bounced back from the air pressure, and the vented from the elasticy of the wheel's plastic.
Again, hard to see with this light, but if it's true, then which wheel will absorb bumps better?

So,
sealed tires bounce more than vented tires?

Interesting....

Can anyone explain why there's no measurable difference between a sealed tire with 0psi being dropped from 36" vs the same vented tire with 0psi being dropped from 36"?

Vented (maximum height of 1st bounce)
View attachment 31272

Sealed (maximum height of 1st bounce)
View attachment 31273

the ballooning is why venting them on the outside is used... They hold more air when inside vented...

Ballooning increases when you run them vented, not when you run them sealed.

This is due to the fact that a dry clean inner foam that's never picked up any additional mass from dirt, sand and other debris getting trapped inside and behind the foam adds to the rotational mass within the tire. This in turn increases centrifugal force as rpm increases over that of a lighter sealed tire.

Last edited:
Ballooning increases when you run them vented, not when you run them sealed.

idk man... outside venting cuts the balloon in half in my experience... my badlands mx's got a pack ran on them and they were the worst... I almost ruined them... i vented them and they were so much better after that....

idk man... outside venting cuts the balloon in half in my experience... my badlands mx's got a pack ran on them and they were the worst... I almost ruined them... i vented them and they were so much better after that....
I fat fingered my previous post by hitting the post button before I could explain why. *Edited

I fat fingered my previous post by hitting the post button before I could explain why. *Edited

i agree that when dirt and especially water gets in them the theory of venting kind of goes out the door... if you run in wet areas then i would prob seal as well.... my first set of badlands got wet inside and it was a nightmare.... they never were right again...

I think i take it back, you can see that the vented wheel compresses, while the sealed have almost no compresssion (hard to see with this amount of light).
if it does, then the sealed bounced back from the air pressure, and the vented from the elasticy of the wheel's plastic.
Again, hard to see with this light, but if it's true, then which wheel will absorb bumps better?
That's what shocks are for, negating any difference between the 2

i agree that when dirt and especially water gets in them the theory of venting kind of goes out the door... if you run in wet areas then i would prob seal as well.... my first set of badlands got wet inside and it was a nightmare.... they never were right again...
If you still have them and they're vented, please unmount one so that you can see just how much dirt, sand and grass clippings are still trapped inside. You'll be surprised at how much you find trapped in there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back