How many here vents their tires through the rubber ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There you go

Attachments

• 17C6EC56-F22B-4877-B3D5-2626FEB662FB.png
    17C6EC56-F22B-4877-B3D5-2626FEB662FB.png
    682 KB · Views: 56
So I wanna address the “theory” that air (that weighs nothing) has a factor in increasing ballooning in a sealed tire with 0psi? How is that possible? The mass of the rubber tire is the only factor. Besides if there’s dirt, water etc in the tire.

So I wanna address the “theory” that air (that weighs nothing) has a factor in increasing ballooning in a sealed tire with 0psi? How is that possible? The mass of the rubber tire is the only factor. Besides if there’s dirt, water etc in the tire.
Air doesn’t weigh nothing. That’s the flaw in your theory.

Not that I think it make a measurable difference in this particular application, but at sea level the amount of air in each tire weighs approximately 0.6 grams.
I always assumed that piece of knowledge would be complete useless.....until now, but air actually does have a measurable weight.
@ sea level 1 cubic meter weighs 1.225kg.

Not that I think it make a measurable difference in this particular application, but at sea level the amount of air in each tire weighs approximately 0.6 grams.
I always assumed that piece of knowledge would be complete useless.....until now, but air actually does have a measurable weight.
Yep and then spin that at high speeds and a few grams adds up quickly.

So is there 1 cubic meter of air in are tires?
Air doesn’t weigh nothing. That’s the flaw in your theory.
Not my theory. I was questioning the sealed vs vented theory that is has a factor in ballooning. I believe there no noticeable different in my sealed tires

So is there 1 cubic meter of air in are tires?
No, I come up with about 0.45 liters of air within each tire, +/- 0.6 grams worth.

@bicketybam posted a video of the affects of ballooning in a vented tire vs sealed that has me reevaluating my thought process regarding this subject. His video demonstrated to me an area that I had not figured into my reasoning behind running sealed tires. Tire surface profile while under a vacuum.
When a tire is sealed and the rubber tries to expand away from the center line, it creates a vacuum within the inside of the tire that causes it to peak in the middle of the tread pattern almost to the point of severe deformation, whereas the vented tire equalized pressure from volume expansion that gave the tire surface a more rounded and uniform presentation. At high speed this more rounded profile from venting the tire appears to be an advantage over a sealed but deformed tread surface profile.
Something to think about when choosing between the two, imo.

Last edited:
No, I come up with about 0.45 liters of air within each tire, +/- 0.6 grams worth.

@bicketybam posted a video of the affects of ballooning in a vented tire vs sealed that has me reevaluating my thought process regarding this subject. His video demonstrated to me an area that I had not figured into my reasoning behind running sealed tires. Tire surface profile while under a vacuum.
When a tire is sealed and the rubber tries to expand away from the center line, it creates a vacuum within the inside of the tire that causes it to peak in the middle of the tread pattern almost to the point of severe deformation, whereas the vented tire equalized pressure from volume expansion that gave the tire surface a more rounded and uniform presentation. At high speed this more rounded profile from venting the tire appears to be an advantage over a sealed but deformed tread surface profile.
So basically if you race you definitely want to vent your tires, but if you want a less maintenance basher experience you want it sealed, because no matter what foam is a filter and it holds dirt no matter what you do is what I’m guessing?

My head hurts...?????

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back