How many here vents their tires through the rubber ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you still have them and they're vented, please unmount one so that you can see just how much dirt, sand and grass clippings are still trapped inside. You'll be surprised at how much you find trapped in there.

never outside vented my first set... just the inside holes... i will def take them off just to see though...

What? no, tires have a huge role in the suspension, especially in big tires like the backfilps, which responsible probably for half of the suspension travel.
I'm not denying that, I'm saying there's no measurable difference between bounce between a vented tire and a sealed tire, to which I've shown clearly in the 2 previous videos. The sealed tire would need to be pressurized above atmospheric pressure to have any measurable effect.

Just got some new MX28's for my Senton, first time I've vented the tyre through the rubber I did the brass tubing way of venting with my holes 180 degrees apart.
I had a pair of 3.8 Badlands split on the seam from getting water inside..?
Thought I'd give it a go after reading on here and other places that it would solve the water problem.

I vent my tires through the rubber. I use the sharpened 3/16” brass tube in a drill trick. I make 4 holes per tire. Seal up the rim holes n go. I have a set of factory dboots that have lasted more than double the first set. They have no signs of future failure yet. Way less ballooning. When they get wet I just pick up the truck and hit the trigger till they stop spitting water and put it away.

Did this with a set of Lockup’s too. It took about 15 hard 6s runs to separate the bead on one tire.

I vent my tires through the rubber as well. My trucks are headed way too high to not do it, they blow apart instantly as soon as something gets inside.

So I've been reading up on venting quite a bit ( hoping to get my 1st RC in 12 years - Talion - this week) but can't seem to find the reason why people use the brass tubing method instead of a standard drill bit ? Just to keep from punching through the rim if you press too hard ?

So I've been reading up on venting quite a bit ( hoping to get my 1st RC in 12 years - Talion - this week) but can't seem to find the reason why people use the brass tubing method instead of a standard drill bit ? Just to keep from punching through the rim if you press too hard ?
A drill bit will rip the tire. It’s won’t smoothly drill a hole.

[/QUOTE

Also you will not rip apart your foam inside when present.

A drill bit will rip the tire. It’s won’t smoothly drill a hole.
Yeah, with a drill bit, if you use a dremel on a relatively high speed and very light pressure, it will more melt a hole than cut a hole. Then you don't end up with jagged edges.

Might as well not use a drill bit then. Just use a stone with a sharp tip. Or better yet, use a soldering iron. Or a piece of brass tubing.

Might as well not use a drill bit then. Just use a stone with a sharp tip. Or better yet, use a soldering iron. Or a piece of brass tubing.
Probably would have, but didn't want to muck up my soldering iron, don't have 1/8" brass tube laying around and I don't have any stones that small... so drill bit it is! :)

A drill bit will just create a crack your not driling into wood or metal we are talkimg about rubber here it just going to go trought and create a fee cracks to allow the drill bit to slip trought the tires. Bassicly ruining your tires...
If maybe you can make it work with a high speed drill but i have a weak drill so i used the end of a soldering iron tip and charpened it ???‍♂️?

A drill bit will just create a crack your not driling into wood or metal we are talkimg about rubber here it just going to go trought and create a fee cracks to allow the drill bit to slip trought the tires. Bassicly ruining your tires...
If maybe you can make it work with a high speed drill but i have a weak drill so i used the end of a soldering iron tip and charpened it ???‍♂️?
I've been using a 1/8" drill bit in my dremel for 15 years... I have yet to have a tire tear at the hole I make. Pretty sure I'm safe.

I've been using a 1/8" drill bit in my dremel for 15 years... I have yet to have a tire tear at the hole I make. Pretty sure I'm safe.
For others not quite as capable as you are with a dremel, I would at least get that bit hot with a torch or something before starting to drill.

Probably would have, but didn't want to muck up my soldering iron, don't have 1/8" brass tube laying around and I don't have any stones that small... so drill bit it is! :)
If you just bought your first RC in a while, you have lots if trips to the LHS ahead. Add the brass tube to a shopping list. Along with some tire glue. And some good hex wrenches. And, and, and.....
????

If you just bought your first RC in a while, you have lots if trips to the LHS ahead. Add the brass tube to a shopping list. Along with some tire glue. And some good hex wrenches. And, and, and.....
????
I never think about it when I'm there. My closest is an hour drive, think I've only been there twice this year. lol!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back