How many here vents their tires through the rubber ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally seal my tires and rim completely. That way no water or dirt get in. I hot glue the two holes on the rim works like a champ. Never have a issue again with water and dirt getting in to the tires.
I also wondered about doing that, but this will happen: "Besides the use of foam inserts in place of compressed air, RC tires are vented and not sealed. The difference is extremely important. If RC tires were sealed, they wouldn’t be able to form around and grip obstacles such as rocks, but even worse, especially with high-speed vehicles, the tires would act like inflated basket balls and bounce when a vehicle landed. Vent holes allow air to escape and return when a tire impacts the ground. Without breather holes, a sealed tire would bounce like a pogo jumps off."

Since i blowed up one of my tires after driving through water, i do vent all tires of my trucks except my flat racers.
After some problems how to do that, i find a simple way.
I use a cheap soldering iron which is modified with a small sharpened metal tube.
On the edge of the hole, the rubber is like vulcanized with the soldering iron.

The actual situation is that i use 1:5 beadlock wheels on the Big Rock without any holes.

I also wondered about doing that, but this will happen: "Besides the use of foam inserts in place of compressed air, RC tires are vented and not sealed. The difference is extremely important. If RC tires were sealed, they wouldn’t be able to form around and grip obstacles such as rocks, but even worse, especially with high-speed vehicles, the tires would act like inflated basket balls and bounce when a vehicle landed. Vent holes allow air to escape and return when a tire impacts the ground. Without breather holes, a sealed tire would bounce like a pogo jumps off."
You’re thinking of a tire that has air pressure in it. There’s no air pressure in a sealed tire that has no valve stem to air up the tire to create that pressure that you’re talking about. Take a basketball put the air filler in it and let it become equal with atmospheric pressure (like our tires are) and when you drop it, it’s going to hit the floor like a sack of potatoes and not bounce. Plus on another note the foam act like a filter not all the dirt that goes in that tire with the water comes back out. That foam will hold onto it.

True, I did seal the rim holes only on a couple of tires, kinda like the text says, running with a couple of basketballs :)
However the rest of the text, on Axial's page also says,
"Two holes using the smallest option are usually perfect for RC use. One of the believed benefits of venting the tires is that dirt can get flung out the hole as the tire spins. If you notice your vehicle bouncing when landing or that the tires don’t conform around obstacles, you should try increasing the venting"
One of the believed benefits............ !?

Since i blowed up one of my tires after driving through water, i do vent all tires of my trucks except my flat racers.
I use a cheap soldering iron which is modified with a small sharpened metal tube.

The actual situation is that i use 1:5 beadlock wheels on the Big Rock without any holes.

I like the idea of a small sharpened metal tube on the soldering iron, guess I will give the soldering iron another shot.

So is good to vent tires?
And from hobbyking what the best glue you ppl advise me for the tires?

I have been doing this for years to get the sand and dirt out of my tires. I also use a soldering iron

So is good to vent tires?
And from hobbyking what the best glue you ppl advise me for the tires?
In my opinion If your a true basher no. The foam in the tires will hold dirt (like a filter)and the hole in the tire will never get it all out. None of my cars bounce when jumping there’s no basketball problem at all. Cause there’s no pressure in the tire. Matter of fact if u push down on the tire the little bit of air in the tire just goes to the top. Making no effect on the tire or the way the car handles. Been sealing my tire for years making them maintenance free!!! Another note to add the foam also holds water just like a sponge. Even with holes in the tire there will always be a little bit of water in there until it drys with heat/over time

Last edited:
In my opinion If your a true basher no. The foam in the tires will hold dirt (like a filter)and the hole in the tire will never get it all out. None of my cars bounce when jumping there’s no basketball problem at all. Cause there’s no pressure in the tire. Matter of fact if u push down on the tire the little bit of air in the tire just goes to the top. Making no effect on the tire or the way the car handles. Been sealing my tire for years making them maintenance free!!!
This^

I've test sealed and vented and prefer sealed, which is all I run. The best way to get water and dirt from the inside is to never let any in. The internet "sealed tire bounce effect theory" makes me facepalm every time I see it repeated

The internet "sealed tire bounce effect theory" makes me facepalm every time I see it repeated
That would probably only be an issue on huge tires like the imex jumbo kongs.

I find that mine don't stay on the bead, regardless how meticulous I am with sanding, cleaning, gluing, the bead always lets go in spots at some point and I don't usually notice it until it's on my bench. So, if I ran "sealed", they would still get dirt/water in them at some point, so I just vent them to not have to worry about it and haven't had too many issues over the course of a couple years of tire life. Usually the bead of a tire gets cut up so bad from landing on concrete at the skate parks (which makes more cuts/holes for dirt/water to get in) that they only last a couple years for me anyway and I replace them all at the same time while keeping the old ones in case I tear one.

I agree, I don't spend big bucks on soldering station/gun either. This is what I'm using, as great features for the price.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/solderi...ge-us-warehouse.html?wrh_pdp=3&___store=en_us

This is the solder iron tip set that I also have (& why I asked what was the best tip to use):
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/soldering-iron-tip-set-10-pcs.html?wrh_pdp=3&___store=en_us

I agree, if tires are unmounted (like my Badlands), a tire or leather hole punch would be the best method, but unfortunately, too costly to buy a hole punch (especially for just 1 set of tires). These rest of my tires are mounted (2 sets of Backflip's, Katar's, Minokawa's, & a couple sets of Proline truggy tires), so I just want to extra careful with so many tires to vent.
I agree, I don't spend big bucks on soldering station/gun either. This is what I'm using, as great features for the price.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/solderi...ge-us-warehouse.html?wrh_pdp=3&___store=en_us

Nice with different opinions.

I've tried the sharpened metal tube tip on a soldering iron, light pressure and a couple of twists back and forth, worked great.
Tip.jpg

Done a couple of tires and it has worked great, but i really wonder how great. Got a set of new Badlands
that I'm thinking of venting, however I've wondered how much dirt and grit have collected over a year
in my other set of Badlands. This set has really seen it all, mud, dirt, sand, water, snow, 4S and 6S.
I decided to weigh the used and the new.

7.jpg

6.jpg

To my surprise the new wheel weighs 2 grams more. Now, how much dirt has the old wheel really collected
over a year ? I don't know, but I guess it should at least weigh more if it did. (the numbers were consistent on all the wheels)

I had my outcast on the beach and of course was covered in sand. So I took a hose to it and cleaned it up. Then let it dry and sprayed it with wd40 and now my wheels are so off balance. I have 4 vent holes in them so I know it’s not filled with water. I think the wd40 got In them through the vent hole on the rim. I spin them full throttle and not a drop comes out of the holes I put in them. Any suggestions other than unmounting them?

Mike - one thing I did on one of my smaller cars - After a run on the beach, I knew the tires were full of sand (newish car, had not vented the rubber yet). I did vent them, but the sand would not come out. My solution, put the truck in water deep enough to cover the rim vent (unsealed), drive slowly in the water - let water into the tires... Then drive out and WOT a few donuts - water everywhere! Three or four passes like this washed the sand out, and the tires were (mostly) balanced again.

Mike - one thing I did on one of my smaller cars - After a run on the beach, I knew the tires were full of sand (newish car, had not vented the rubber yet). I did vent them, but the sand would not come out. My solution, put the truck in water deep enough to cover the rim vent (unsealed), drive slowly in the water - let water into the tires... Then drive out and WOT a few donuts - water everywhere! Three or four passes like this washed the sand out, and the tires were (mostly) balanced again.
Thank you I will try that out

I run my Kraton sealed but, my MT410 the tires doubled in size from the pressure building. I now run my Tekno vented through the tire. 180 degrees apart drilled with a dremel. It burns the rubber when drilling.

I gently squeeze a little air out of the tire, as I am holding it, I use scotch tape to cover the vent hole. Just like airing down my jeep tires when offroad, the tires conform to the ground better. Now that I have been getting into Lipo's I use Spiderwire fishing line twice around the tire to keep from ballooning. So far works like a champ to keep them from stretching and tearing. Looking forward to see how well it works on whether I get 6s Kraton or Typhon, I can't make up my mind

Are the typhoon tires the same size as the kraton/ outcast? According to horizon the foam inserts replacement for the kraton is the typhoon inserts.

Are the typhoon tires the same size as the kraton/ outcast? According to horizon the foam inserts replacement for the kraton is the typhoon inserts.

Yeah, that is not right. The Typhon uses standard 1/8 buggy foams, the Kraton will need either truggy foams, or 3.8 MT foams or bigger, depending on the tires.

That’s what I figured

Attachments

• F3356BFF-29D4-4036-A478-D1D973C9D01E.png
    F3356BFF-29D4-4036-A478-D1D973C9D01E.png
    359.6 KB · Views: 75
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back