Senton How much clearance is needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I’m new to the Arrma Lifestyle. And I recently purchased some 14mm Granite tires for my Senton 3s BLX 4x4. My question is what is the minimum amount of clearance needed between the body and the tires? I’ve seen a couple YouTube videos where the guys trimmed the bodies, but I’d like to keep the body as close to original as possible. Reason being, I got it as a gift a few weeks ago, and don’t want to want to make the purchaser feel like I didn’t like my gift. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 36E5EDCE-EDCE-4576-AF24-34EFFA62E4AB.jpeg
    36E5EDCE-EDCE-4576-AF24-34EFFA62E4AB.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 97
I’m new to the Arrma Lifestyle. And I recently purchased some 14mm Granite tires for my Senton 3s BLX 4x4. My question is what is the minimum amount of clearance needed between the body and the tires? I’ve seen a couple YouTube videos where the guys trimmed the bodies, but I’d like to keep the body as close to original as possible. Reason being, I got it as a gift a few weeks ago, and don’t want to want to make the purchaser feel like I didn’t like my gift. Thanks in advance.
I can’t answer your question directly, but wanted to encourage you to make a small trim and try it out. Trial and error is the way of the land.

Like said above, trim a little until you get the desired effect. If you wack too much off at once you can't get it back. You can try to see where the tire is hitting the most and dremel that area.

Interesting, so is that tire tear from hitting the body edge? My son ran his Senton full speed into the side of a wood ramp on Friday, and when we saw it gain, it had basically the same tire tear on the front left tire.

I am going to patch it up with Gorilla glue and a baseball stich using 12lb test fishing line, but we need to get at least a stock replacement tire in the near future.

Interesting, so is that tire tear from hitting the body edge? My son ran his Senton full speed into the side of a wood ramp on Friday, and when we saw it gain, it had basically the same tire tear on the front left tire.

I am going to patch it up with Gorilla glue and a baseball stich using 12lb test fishing line, but we need to get at least a stock replacement tire in the near future.
No, that came from me bashing at a local park. I’m not really sure what I hit, but it was either a tree stump or these fallen branches. Possibly I just landed bad after a couple of jumps. I was just so stoked at how fast it was going. I heard the rubbing noise for a good 5 minutes before I decided to investigate. ??‍♂️

When my son hit the ramp at RC Club on Friday, we still had like 25 minutes left until the end, so he just kept driving it. :) In that 25 minutes I don't think the tire condition got any worse.

When I sew/glue it I'll take some pictures.

Raise the body mount posts up to the higher level and put the Granite wheels on. Then compress the suspension and see where you are going to definitely want to do some trimming. If you don't have body scissors try manicure scissors if you have a pair. I trimmed the body on my Senton 3 times. I did the initial trim and then ran it to see if the body rubbed and when it did I would trim a little more in those areas. I have it dialed in now and frankly I think it's looks pretty cool with the wheels and the trimming. I wouldn't worry about people thinking you didn't like your gift. The fact that you are willing to upgrade and modify it means you like it. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth the time and money, right?

Cheers to you @Dulb_D, thanks for the advice & vote of confidence. If it’s not too much to ask can you post a pic? At this point I have no choice but to get crafty with it. ✂️ I don’t think my lady would appreciate me using her manicure scissors on my project. ? And I do have a pair of curved scissors. Good looking out, BASH ON BRO!

If it’s not too much to ask can you post a pic?

Here it is. I wish I had the right scissors or used a (spare ;)) manicure scissor right off the batt (I used a regular straight cutlery scissor at first) but I didn't so some of the trimmed edges are a little rougher than I'd like. After trimming I used a piece of very fine grit sandpaper (I think 400 grit) just to smooth out the sharp edges the scissors created. Hope this helps.

But your handy work doesn’t look bad at all.
Thanks, just don't look too close! This is going to be my bashing setup. I plan on getting a new body, thinking the Pro-Line Flotek Ford Raptor, and some decent SCT tires so I have the option of running it as a SCT again in the future but otherwise I don't want to get sucked into the endless upgrade cycle - maybe new shocks if JennysRC gets Typhon 6S shocks in stock again as those are the recommended upgrade to the stock Senton 3S shocks - but for now this truck is good enough for me.

The only upgrades I plan for mine would be the shocks, pinion and transmitter. I already have the DumboRC-6X and a 15T pinion gear. Just haven’t had any time to twist some screws w/ a newborn in the house. Hopefully this weekend ?

The only upgrades I plan for mine would be the shocks, pinion and transmitter. I already have the DumboRC-6X and a 15T pinion gear. Just haven’t had any time to twist some screws w/ a newborn in the house. Hopefully this weekend ?
Yeah I did the 15t pinion too. Ran into some overheating with the stock pinion. I actually like the way the truck performs much better with the 15t gear anyway. Good luck and congrats on the newborn!

Yeah I did the 15t pinion too. Ran into some overheating with the stock pinion. I actually like the way the truck performs much better with the 15t gear anyway. Good luck and congrats on the newborn!
Did a little bashing during lunch. Got a chance to trim the body last night. Doesn’t seem to be rubbing, but I’ll do a better check when I get home. If I’m lucky, I’ll be able to switch my pinion gear too.

Attachments

• E6357D6D-2934-4156-9798-6556347FBCF9.jpeg
    E6357D6D-2934-4156-9798-6556347FBCF9.jpeg
    861.7 KB · Views: 47
I finally had the time yesterday to change the pinion gear. I don’t know what kind of alien loctite Arrma uses, but I couldn’t get the damn screw that held the gear loose. I stripped my hex driver working on it. So I went to my hobby shop bought new drivers, while I watched the 2 guys there struggling like was. ? Which made me feel better, so I knew it wasn’t just me. One of then even tried using a soldering iron to get some heat to it, in hopes of getting somewhere. ? Then finally this dude that looked he just left LA Fitness comes by and offers a hand. ??‍♂️ And with a brief “ugh” he snapped it loose. Is the ? military grade loctite necessary for a RC hobby truck Arrma! lol

I finally had the time yesterday to change the pinion gear. I don’t know what kind of alien loctite Arrma uses, but I couldn’t get the damn screw that held the gear loose. I stripped my hex driver working on it. So I went to my hobby shop bought new drivers, while I watched the 2 guys there struggling like was. ? Which made me feel better, so I knew it wasn’t just me. One of then even tried using a soldering iron to get some heat to it, in hopes of getting somewhere. ? Then finally this dude that looked he just left LA Fitness comes by and offers a hand. ??‍♂️ And with a brief “ugh” he snapped it loose. Is the ? military grade loctite necessary for a RC hobby truck Arrma! lol
Haha, yeah I stripped the screw on mine and had to drill it out. Not sure what they were thinking there.

A 15T pinion seems about right given thats what the stock Big Rock CC comes with and they have basically the same structure and wheel size.

Looks pretty cool with the larger wheels I think...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back