how much oil should you put in the diff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spook

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have seen countless posts about their not being enough oil in the diffs... so watching various videos on youtube where it is just referenced to top it up, and then there are different opionions top it right up / don't top it right up / top to the top of the upper gears - so, what is the correct amount / what level should I top the oil up to?

Is it ok to mix new with old, or do I have to clean it all out first ?

Thanks all.

in my opinion, i would clean out the diffs, and fill roughly to this line (a little bit less than completely full) (y)
granite diff.JPG

hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
On my kraton 8's front/rear I have topped em off I have mixed old with new not much though. I just hurried up and swaped out to GPM diff cups.

You really want to look over the gears when you do top off, so at least pull the gears and look over em before a top off. I mix 1mill & 200,000 because I'm out off 500,000

And I do fill top a little bellow full like the red circle

What rigs are we talking about here?

6s should be filled just enough to leave head space for the planetary.. so the height of that gear..

3s should be mid top output gear..

Or fill them to the top and let them ooze when you assemble if you like, but there should be some head space as fluid that heats up and is whipped constantly will build pressure..

What rigs are we talking about here?

6s should be filled just enough to leave head space for the planetary.. so the height of that gear..

3s should be mid top output gear..

Or fill them to the top and let them ooze when you assemble if you like, but there should be some head space as fluid that heats up and is whipped constantly will build pressure..
I'm assuming a Granite since that's whats in his profile but could be wrong lol Good info regardless

Mine on my 6s oozed a little. Filled em up too much my first time doing them. Just made sure to clean up all the excess.

Yes, it is a granite, thanks for the info. One of the YouTube videos I watched suggested that if you over filled and then ran it it would cause a heat and pressure buildup that could even split the diff case.... seems I didn’t need to worry about that...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back