Typhon How Problematic is Heat on the ESC and Motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddworld

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Here's my build and info:

- Arrma Typhon 6S v4 (2019)
- Replaced ESC with HobbyWing Max6
- Replaced motor with 4985 SL-1650KV
- Replaced tx/rx with DX5C and SR215
- Replaced Servo
- Why did I replace everything? Water damage...
- Experience Level: Built 10+ quadcopters from scratch, but this is my first RC car

Question: I had a few shutdowns on the stock ESC and motor. I've just swapped those for the HobbyWings. How problematic is heat, and should I be installing fans on the motor or adding air scoops to feed the ESC?

Picture attached for grins. All the orange crap is 3D printed.

Thanks for your time

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 79
Stock esc fan should always be in service and I like motor fans because they can never hurt. I feel they work well too.
If you can pick up a cheap lazer temp thing from Harbor Freight or wherever, it may help give an idea of whats up.

1593144604366.png

1593144795009.png

How are those fans mounted into the motor? Did you screw into the heatsink fins? Awesome shots by the way.

How are those fans mounted into the motor? Did you screw into the heatsink fins? Awesome shots by the way.
It's a fan mount that a friend was prototyping and I was a lucky guy to get the opportunity to test it out. They aren't available right now but hopefully in time we'll see availability.
Thank you for the compliments. ?
Here's the fans on the mount but not on the vehicle.

1593149406975.png

Last edited:
@oddworld The stock esc fan is pretty weak airflow wise and lots of folks report broken blades on them after a while from bashing. I see you have a lot of printed parts so if you want I have STLs I can share to adapt the stock 35mm fan mounting holes so you can add 30mm or 40mm high rpm/cfm fans on top of the esc without removing the plastic cover. Thingiverse has lots of 30 to 40mm adapter designs but not any 35mm sized ones so I had to design my own so if you want them just let me know.

35 to 30mm adapter example:
20200616_120902.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back