Granite How tight should diff input gear and diff gear mesh?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraniteAndy88

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I'm installing a new bearing set in my granite 4x4 and it seems like when I tighten the front diff cases together the whole assembly is hard to turn. When I loosen the screws it gets smoother...the car is fairly new still do the gears need more time to run in?

You shouldnt set the correct mesh by loosening the screws, do you have a shim installed? stock it comes installed on the ring side, move it to the bearing on the other side of the diff, this will loosen the mesh, the assembly should rotate freely with the screws tightened.

On some future service, after the gears will wear a bit, move that shim back to the ring side to restore the correct mesh.

I did that once and it seemed too loose. I'm just gonna run it with the screws a bit loose then tighten them up. It shouldnt matter.

I did that once and it seemed too loose. I'm just gonna run it with the screws a bit loose then tighten them up. It shouldnt matter.
I just rebuilt my 3s Typhon difs and noticed the same thing. Since it's all plastic, I decided to let physics take its course, and hopefully it loosens up after a few short bursts. Don't reccomend leaving those screws loose though. The bearings in the carriers will move around and melt the plastic. A little extra grease on the spur and input gear should help break it in until everything seats properly.

Reviving this thread as I'm having the same issue installing new diff parts because I somehow keep stripping input gears (I think from big hard lands). What shim are you all talking about? I've busted open all my diff on both my V3 Granite and Typhon and there were no shims in there in either the front or rear.

Also, I keep seeing people say "Ring Gear". What is ring gear to you all? Is it the diff gear?

Reviving this thread as I'm having the same issue installing new diff parts because I somehow keep stripping input gears (I think from big hard lands). What shim are you all talking about? I've busted open all my diff on both my V3 Granite and Typhon and there were no shims in there in either the front or rear.

Also, I keep seeing people say "Ring Gear". What is ring gear to you all? Is it the diff gear?

Ring gear is the big gear on the outside of the diff. At least with the K6S shimming the diff means putting a shim between the gear housing and the bearing on the differential out drive. Shimming helps eliminate left and right movement in the gear box and correctly set the mesh on the input gear and ring gear.

I've had this issue with my Big Rock. Been through 2 crown gears and 1 input HD gear. I've always found the diff housing to be a very snug fit. I'm still a newbie and learning as I go. It's a fairly cheap and straightforward fix so I'm not that worried about it. Do wonder about the shim though.

Ring gear is the big gear on the outside of the diff. At least with the K6S shimming the diff means putting a shim between the gear housing and the bearing on the differential out drive. Shimming helps eliminate left and right movement in the gear box and correctly set the mesh on the input gear and ring gear.
Ok cool (ring gear).

I know what shimming is (Have a 6s Kraton and Notorious) but what I'm saying is people say that there is a stock shim in there from the factory but I have yet to find one on my Granite or my Typhon lol Is the shim the same size as for the kraton? I don't imagine it is?

I leave the two screws fairly loose. Tighten it down to snug then back it off 1 turn on each screw. Seems to be working well. I don’t like resistance in the gearing. I’ll go back and check it once and a while to make sure it’s holding up.

Ok cool (ring gear).

I know what shimming is (Have a 6s Kraton and Notorious) but what I'm saying is people say that there is a stock shim in there from the factory but I have yet to find one on my Granite or my Typhon lol Is the shim the same size as for the kraton? I don't imagine it is?
Think it is. Same size as the diff shims for my Typhon 6s.
Both my Granite diffs had one.

Think it is. Same size as the diff shims for my Typhon 6s.
Both my Granite diffs had one.
So weird that mine didn't have any lol I mean maybe its there and stuck up against the bearing? I'll have to bust them open again and have a better look but when I tore them apart on both my rigs nothing fell out or came loose (shim).

Reviving this thread as I'm having the same issue installing new diff parts because I somehow keep stripping input gears (I think from big hard lands).
Big lands can indeed cause damage to input gears and ring gears. I got the Hot Racing differential housing for the rear diff. So far no damage.

But, if input gears keep stripping, I would also check the teeth on the ring gear. A worn/warped ring gear will quickly damage replacement input gears. Some say you should replace input gears and ring gears at the same time so an old worn out part doesn't improperly wear out the new part. Also use plenty of long lasting grease.
So weird that mine didn't have any lol I mean maybe its there and stuck up against the bearing? I'll have to bust them open again and have a better look but when I tore them apart on both my rigs nothing fell out or came loose (shim).
it's under the bearing on the ring gear side of the differential, easy to miss if you're not looking

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back