Outcast how to adjust wheel bearings (I think?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike k

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
This seems a basic question, but my googling skills are failing me.

My Outcast 6s has a ton of slop in the wheels. The rear bearings in particular have a ton of play. I'm assuming it's lack of tension on the bearings - with the wheels off I can hold the red 17mm lug and wiggle it around like crazy in all directions. Can anyone point me to a good source for how to adjust these?

The front wheels are sloppy also steering, but looks like I can get that tightened up based on this - we'll see:

Thanks for deciphering, and answering, this basic question. At some point I'll develop vocabulary for all this :)

Uhhh, you don't tighten bearings. You replace them. You can shim wherever you can (shims = thin washers), e.g. I have a shim between my hex hubs and outer bearings to fix some in-n-out play. You can also replace the hub carriers, plastic wears and stretches with thime and adds to the slop.

Ha, great. Glad to know I'm way off.
Here's the symptoms - the first one is clearly the worst. Play in the others may be normal?
video of the play
thanks for any thoughts!

fixed it for ya...

Whoa, looks like you have a missing/busted bearing on #1, the rest look pretty much fine

As @nino stated for nr. 1 something is wrong.
The rest is normal but the play is not only in the bearing. It's also all the ball joints, pivot balls and axle connections combined.

Fyi once i've shimmed all the play out and didn't notice a single difference bashing on 6s.

Last edited:
Oh man. Not what I wanted to hear, but thank you.
Feels like I'm perpetually a week's shipping away from driving this car. Rarely do I feel like I want to live in an urban area anymore, but man would it be nice to have a LHS

I will try to
  • I will try to find at the hardware store - I'm assuming the manual has the spec on these.
  • recommendations would be welcome for what to replace bearings with (wheels and otherwise?) I think I would prioritize 1) durability 2) efficiency 3) cost not a big deal for me unless there are major differences
  • If you have seen good instructions on bearing replacement, I'd appreciate a pointer
As @nino stated for nr. 1 something is wrong.
The rest is normal but the play is not only in the bearing. It's also all the ball joints, pivot balls and axle connections combined.

Fyi once i've shimmed all the play out and didn't notice a single difference bashing on 6s.

Could you please clarify what you mean by this?
1) is there a good instructional video on how to maintain the axle connections? I think the video I linked above shows about the ball joints, which I've snugged up.
2) When you say "shimmed the play out", do you mean something other than snugging down the cups that hold the ball joints? I only ask because shim to me implies inserting some physical object to take up space...

Thanks much for your help. I so love driving this rig, with wild abandon over rough terrain, and man does this hobby force a crash course in maintenance.

I have a couple of bearing shops around me, and I live in Croatia... so you should be able to get hold of some. :D
Usually it's more expensive than buying online, so I suggest you just get that one and order a full set of bearings for the future.
Take the one from the other side as a sample or measure it. I think that's a 8x16x5 bearing. That's inner diameter, outer diameter, thickness.

Yes, I'm just in a rural area, so we have a hardware store, but it's a bit of a trip to get to a bearing shop :)

I started opening the hub (?) and found ... the outside bearing had apparently blown up, leaving just the outer race and a shredded lug nut.

Looks easy to replace... if I had a bearing and another wheel hex on hand. Another project, I guess...
IMG_2317.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back