How to change center diff oil on Kraton/Typhon/Senton/Talion/... ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piecejointe

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I'd like to run a higher weight in the center diff of my Typhon. How do I actually get to the central diff?
Also: what kind of oil (or is it grease?) do I need? I see number being thrown but never units (and difference between brands with the "k" being omitted, probably) and I'm lost.
Looking at Hobbyking Trackstar range: https://hobbyking.com/fr_fr/cars-1/accessories/oils-grease-fluids/diff-gear-oil.html
Thanks!

To get into the center diff -

1 - on the bottom of the chassis - remove the three screws in the red motor / diff mount. You may need to heat them, as the factory uses lots of Loctite.
2 - On the bottom of the chassis - remove the two screws that hold the plastic diff mount. The motor/diff assembly should now be loose in the turck - remove it.
3- on the top of the diff mount - remove the 4 screws that hold the top plate on. Once this plate is off, you can remove the diff support and motor mount from the Center diff.
4 - 4 screws on the ring gear get removed, and the ring gear comes off the diff case. Clean, refill, and reassemble. 4,3,2,1 - be sure to use thread lock on the motor mount screws.

Ok, and those are the right oils. The K means thousand. So 10k is 10,000cst.

My Typhon, I am running 10k/100k/10k, Front/Center/Rear.

Also while you are in the diff, you should add the shims. Watch the youtube video by THOMAS P called something like HOW TO BULLETPROOF YOUR DIFF FOR a SENTON.

Two issues so far:
* The o-ring in the front diff will.not.fit. it's just way too long to go into the recessed part where i's supposed to fit. It won't stay in place, it pushes the gear out instantly, and hangs around.
I put it as well as I could and closed the diff back, hoping for the best. Pretty sure it's going to get shredded by that pin unless the gear somehow pushed it back in place.
In the back diff there's no problem at all, the o-ring fits easily, really weird problem.
* One of the two screws holding the sway bar to the bulkhead stripped a bit, let's hope that plastic threalock helps keeping it in place.

I still need to take care of the back diff. I don't think I want to do this everyday...

Ok, so I redid the front diff and managed to get the oring to fit long enough to lock it in place with the gear but what a PITA. It looks a bit lighter and larger, like if it absorbed some liquid or something. Anyway, we'll see.

On driving with 50/100/50 oils in the diffs: perfect for bashing, and it handles larger tires better too.

Another update: the cup of the rear diff (the one that connects the dogbone to the center diff) came loose today, not a big deal but annoying.
There was a tiny drop of blue threadlocker on it. For good measure I checked the front one, same minuscule amount.
C'mon Arrma, you drown the motor mount screws in super threadlocker that requires the fires of Mount Doom or Daenerys' dragons to remove, but there's not enough on other parts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back