How to choose the correct size ring and pinion gears.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senton

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Senton 6s
What is the difference in larger ring and pinion gears, compared to smaller one's.

Your question contradicts itself but, if the number of teeth on the ring is constant, a 10 tooth pinion will create more acceleration/torque/less speed vs a 12 tooth pinion which gives more speed/less torque/acceleration. If the pinion is a constant a ring gear with 20 teeth would create more speed/less torque/acceleration vs a 30 tooth which would create more acceleration/torque/less speed. You divide the number of teeth on the ring (driven) gear by the number of teeth on the pinion (drive) gear to get a numerical ratio. A higher numerical ratio is a lower gear ratio (quicker acceleration/slower speed) A lower numerical ratio is a higher gear ratio (slower acceleration/faster speed). Confused yet ?

Your question contradicts itself but, if the number of teeth on the ring is constant, a 10 tooth pinion will create more acceleration/torque/less speed vs a 12 tooth pinion which gives more speed/less torque/acceleration. If the pinion is a constant a ring gear with 20 teeth would create more speed/less torque/acceleration vs a 30 tooth which would create more acceleration/torque/less speed. You divide the number of teeth on the ring (driven) gear by the number of teeth on the pinion (drive) gear to get a numerical ratio. A higher numerical ratio is a lower gear ratio (quicker acceleration/slower speed) A lower numerical ratio is a higher gear ratio (slower acceleration/faster speed). Confused yet ?

Perfect explanation right there sir..
Do you mean spur? You can't change the size of the ring and pinion gears on the diff.
Well you kind of can right? The typhon and senton, then outcast kraton notorious.. ? I'm not positive that's what the o.p is thinking but that's what came to my mind when I saw the post

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back