How to connect all the eletronics properly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Hi folks,

as Im still new to this hobby I am still trying to get a deeper understanding of how this poop all works together.
Today I came across these "Glitch busters", and also had a heatsink with Fan in the post which I want to install on the weekend.
Do I need a glitchbuster? can you help me with that decision?
Here I need some advise in order to make it right...

First of all, here is my current setup electronic wise: (Yes I start a build treat soon ;)

ARRMA KRATON EXB

Hobbywing Max8 combo with EZRUN 4274 motor
Absima R3WP receiver
SkyRC GC-401 gyro
Some 25kg servo (dunno which one exactly)
6 LED Lights (2x Red in the Back, 4 lights (white and Blue) in the front.

All that stuff is connected to the receiver:

Ch1: ESC
CH2:servo
CH3:gyro
Bind: LEDs

The fan of the ESC is connected to the BEC outlet.

My Hobbywing Heatsink came with a Y-cable which I actually wanted to connect to the BEC and then connect both fans (ESC and Motor) to it.

Now I came across this glitch buster and considering getting one, but got no free slot on the receiver to connect it in the current setup.

Now my concern is, is it ok to put the LEDs in the bind slot of the receiver anyway? And if yes, how is it connected (it got only 2wires, the socket has three, so the LED only connected either to the middle and right pin or the middle and left pin. It works either way but what the difference…?

Or should I connect them also to the BEC output of the ESC along with both fans? That would either require some soldering or another Y-cable)

Which is the proper way to do it, that’s the question?!

Thank you guys

Andy

Last edited:
Bind port is normally fine for fans so should be fine for leds. 2 wires for led carry positive and negative so you just need to hook up to those on the receiver port. Normally it goes s(signal)|+|- but look on the receiver port and it will say somewhere nearby.

If you really need a glitch buster, you could always put it on a y cable with the lights or just solder it to the plus and minus of your led line. Glitch buster is only a capacitor anyway.

No I would worry bout glitch buster on kraton for basic bashing.only foe HIGH voltage draw applications,BUT YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOUR SERVO,FANS,RECIEVER ARE ALL HIGH VOLTAGE (7.4) OR YOU WILL BURN THE ONES THAT ARE NOT UP.MAX8 HAS 6VOLT LOW VOLT AND 7.4VOLT HIGH VOLT option on programming. If not sure just set it at 6 volts.

Thank you guys.
Two more qs occured, what are high voltage applications and what would be the benefit going on 7,4v? Brighter leds, quicker steering, more range of the receiver ?
Im still on6v.
Just need to check what servo i have 2moro...

Thank you guys.
Two more qs occured, what are high voltage applications and what would be the benefit going on 7,4v? Brighter leds, quicker steering, more range of the receiver ?
Im still on6v.

Your ESC is one big glitchbuster, no need to occupy a receiver slot.
Receiver range wont change on higher voltage

Thank you guys.
Im still on6v.
Presuming it is rated for 7.4v, no difference to your receiver (check though, as some won't take this much voltage and you might cook them). "HV" servos are quicker and more powerful at higher voltages. Depending on what voltage they are rated for you might fry your lights and (less likely) fans.

Damn i got this heatsink and the fan only can do 5V. Do you think it can handle the 6 or even 7.4v?

Screenshot_20210128-231336_Samsung Internet.jpg

Damn i got this heatsink and the fan only can do 5V. Do you think it can handle the 6 or even 7.4v?

View attachment 123018
How deep are your pockets? Give 'em a bash if you are prepared to lose the fan! I run a bunch of my fans rated to 6v at 7.4v and they are fine.

Servo, get the DS32325kg 180 degree, Annimos(?) is ok but they are all out of the same factory. Suggest going to the 3235kg, has a bit more power. These servos run on 7.4V as well even though they are spec'd at 6V.

Glitchbuster is useless, they did make sense on older gas engines and anywhere where a BEC is not capable enough (10+ years ago). They still sell these to noobs but utter snakeoil for Arrma type RCs.

The 5V fan above will not survive 7.4V, it' ok on 6V but useless, I found out myself. Do NOT get that heat-sink, get the dual heat-sink from Yeah or Powerhobby (all the same except the brandname). You can upgrade those fans later to 7.4V turbo etc.

I already have this Hobbywing heatsink here.
I was also eyeballing with the powerhobby dual fan one but it is simply not available here in germany.
So I will stuck with this one for now...
Find it just weird that the hobbywing Max8 ESC delivers 6V and 7,4V but their Fan only can do 5V...?!
Seems like their product designer justs don't collaborate ;)

Jkfolw, why do you say its useless? I reckon even a crappy heatsink it better than none... altough it makes a solid impression to me...
I will stick it to the motor with Heat-Transferring-Paste with is acutally used in PCs to stick Heatsinks onto CPUs...
Hope that´ll do the trick becauce the EZRUN 4274 has those rips on it which prevent a full contact between motor and heatsink..

Lets see how it goes, it was only 8€ so if its not working it just chuck it at the bin.

If you run at 7.4v get two 30mm Surpass Rocket fans. I ran them on that HW heatsink you have with thermal paste👍, even tried running them from a separate 2s lipo at 8.4v For max power fan.
Now I run that HW heatsink on my DR8 buggy with the original 50mm fan and added a second 50mm fan because I have two HW heatsinks (why not😄).
The Kraton now has a Yeah Racing heatsink (with thermal pad) with the two Rocket fans. Only had to make the screw holes on the fans a little bit larger for perfect fit. Looks rock solid, see my build thread.
I‘m curious how you like the gyro, I turned it off, but then again I ran in loose sand.

I have the same heatsink, The 30 mm fans did not fit side by side on mine. The 50mm didn't have enough cooling and broke when jumping. The 25mm do not have enough airflow.
I tried the heat paste, worst mistake I ever made. It's greasy and collects dirt, very messy. I ended up using a thermal pad, sold on Amazon.
I had the same line of thinking as you did and went down the exact path, just sharing my opinion.
In retrospect, find a mount that allows the fan to blow directly onto the can. Heatsinks do not add any cooling.

Last edited:
The YR heatsink has little openings allowing airflow directly to the motor, so should work better than the HW heatsink. I agree heatsink don’t do cooling, they are just there to transfer heat from motor to heatsink. Fans help to get rid of that heat. I only use thermal pads, but as you stated most users of thermal paste quickly change to pads.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I'll keep this in mind but will make my own opinion on that as I already have everthing here exept the new motor.
This will hopefully arrive 2moro.
I´m off to the garage now with a friend doing some wrenching and killing a couple of beers while doing so.
Will take some pictures as well for my build thread I still owe you guys, so stay tuned!

@jkflow @Evoandy great exchange of opinions here chaps. Have to say I agree with @jkflow on this one.

I have a yeahracing double blower on my mojave and the first proper bash I broke both plastic fans. It now has a 40mm metal framed fan on a 30-40 mm 3d printed adaptor designed by @suchtragedy

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I'll keep this in mind but will make my own opinion on that as I already have everthing here exept the new motor.
This will hopefully arrive 2moro.
I´m off to the garage now with a friend doing some wrenching and killing a couple of beers while doing so.
Will take some pictures as well for my build thread I still owe you guys, so stay tuned!
You'll also encounter different expierences.
I've been running that HW heatsink for years, with thermal pads, and for me it works really well.
My motor definitely stays cooler.
You can buy the fans in bulk on Aliexpress: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32815660620.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dI2IIUU

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back