Infraction How to cool my Firma 150A ESC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HZRDOS

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Outcast EXB
  4. Talion EXB
How are you cooling your stock 150A ESC?

I upgraded to a better aluminum 35mm fan in place of the stock fan. Is there an easy way to add a 40mm fan? I know people make the adapters, but I am told they just thread the screws between heat sink fins? Don't really like that idea - any other typical ways? Do the screws in between the fins hold well?

I've made some Custom fan adapters 35 to 40mm for the ESC.
Let me pull up the design ,hold please.

Correction - it's for fan size 30mm to 40mm

(the center to center bolt distance for the 30mm Fan is 35mm)

Here you go..
1663769534792.png

1663769491664.png

Fitment test of 40mm fan -
1663769622596.png

1663769673864.png

Last edited:
I think the stock esc wasn't made for the infraction and I bet a good chunk of the ones that have caught fire happened in an infraction or felony.

I think the stock esc wasn't made for the infraction and I bet a good chunk of the ones that have caught fire happened in an infraction or felony.
Yeah well in that case, I'm gonna keep running it, burn this bish down, laugh at it and then upgrade.

Yeah well in that case, I'm gonna keep running it, burn this bish down, laugh at it and then upgrade.
Just get the rocket 35mm aluminum case fan then. When it does burn down, you'll at least have a working fan afterwards
EDIT: I finally correctly read your post that you already have one of these fans... disregard my stupid answers!!! :LOL:

Last edited:
How are you cooling your stock 150A ESC?

I upgraded to a better aluminum 35mm fan in place of the stock fan. Is there an easy way to add a 40mm fan? I know people make the adapters, but I am told they just thread the screws between heat sink fins? Don't really like that idea - any other typical ways? Do the screws in between the fins hold well?
Thats pretty much how all fans are mounted onto ESC's. Into the fins. Using all 4 screws. Is what it is.:)
Of course adding an alloy adapter and a larger 40x40mm fan will add much heft/weight. I prefer not going that route. Many do this however.
Spektrum ESC's normally over heat or run hotter, are less efficient than most upgrade ESC's. I would lower timing if that is an option. Find out if other variables are contributing to a hot ESC. What motor kv you using. Stock motor?
Are you hitting Thermal too often???
Is the motor also too hot, over 150F??
The replacement high RPM fan that you are using should do the trick well enough. Consider asking HH for a replacement ESC??? Your call.
I seen where the HS on these OE RTR ESC's are poorly mounted to the MosFETS with Thermal paste. Not aligned well. Gaps prevent thermal efficiency of the HS. So cooling is marginal in some cases. QC can be off in many cases. I've dissected many bricked OE ESC's and seen this. HS clearly not mated well enough to the Power MosFETS. Is what it is. See if you can screw in the upper case to the lower case better. Sometimes these small screws (4) are not snug. This might tighten up the HS to the Mosfets. Might be possible to do. The slightest .02 mm gap will make it hotter.
Some ideas.:cool:

Last edited:
Going out in a real blaze of glory. :ROFLMAO:

Thats pretty much how all fans are mounted onto ESC's. Into the fins. Using all 4 screws. Is what it is.:)
Of course adding an alloy adapter and a larger 40x40mm fan will add much heft/weight. I prefer not going that route. Many do this however.
Spektrum ESC's normally over heat or run hotter, are less efficient than most upgrade ESC's. I would lower timing if that is an option. Find out if other variables are contributing to a hot ESC. What motor kv you using. Stock motor?
Are you hitting Thermal too often???
Is the motor also too hot, over 150F??
The replacement high RPM fan that you are using should do the trick well enough. Consider asking HH for a replacement ESC??? Your call.
I seen where the HS on these OE RTR ESC's are poorly mounted to the MosFETS with Thermal paste. Not aligned well. Gaps prevent thermal efficiency of the HS. So cooling is marginal in some cases. QC can be off in many cases. I've dissected many bricked OE ESC's and seen this. HS clearly not mated well enough to the Power MosFETS. Is what it is. See if you can screw in the upper case to the lower case better. Sometimes these small screws (4) are not snug. This might tighten up the HS to the Mosfets. Might be possible to do. The slightest .02 mm gap will make it hotter.
Some ideas.:cool:
I have not hit thermal yet. Stock ESC and motor. Have a aluminum rocket fan on the motor and ESC now. ESC and motor have got up to about 170 degree when bashing. This was before upgrading the ESC fan.

Stock timing was 22.5°. Dropped it to 15° before first run.

I am running an 18t pinion. Stock was 15t.

Just would like them both to stay below 150° max temps.
I am more worried about when I get the scorched fenders in the added heat due to less airflow though the body of the rig.

@Tex Koder and I are working out a design that should work out well with the ESC for a larger fan. And it wont use the HS fins - using the stock mounting holes.

Last edited:
Will get started on the new sketch..
Give me a little bit and I'll post up a rough draft for your review.

I'll txt you if I have any questions.

Rough Draft

1663821891077.png

Mounts onto the stock fan shroud. (No need to remove the shroud.)
Utilizes stock heatsink bulkhead mounting hole locations. (Will need to get slightly longer M3 screws to secure down properly.)

Rough Draft

View attachment 245144

Mounts onto the stock fan shroud. (No need to remove the shroud.)
Utilizes stock heatsink bulkhead mounting hole locations. (Will need to get slightly longer M3 screws to secure down properly.)

Need to remove some material so the mounting screws can be installed.

1663852417033.png

Need to remove some material so the mounting screws can be installed.

View attachment 245172

Yes ,of course.
It's just a Rough draft.. Just to lay down the ideas, basic layout and how it might look overall..

The technical details -such as actual height, wall thickness, flange protrusion, bolt cut-outs ,accomodations for brass fittings or stainless steel nuts ,and final surface details etc etc will still need to be decided/designed.

Yes ,of course.
It's just a Rough draft.. Just to lay down the ideas, basic layout and how it might look overall..

The technical details -such as actual height, wall thickness, flange protrusion, bolt cut-outs ,accomodations for brass fittings or stainless steel nuts ,and final surface details etc etc will still need to be decided/designed.
Understood. Looks great!

I have not hit thermal yet. Stock ESC and motor. Have a aluminum rocket fan on the motor and ESC now. ESC and motor have got up to about 170 degree when bashing. This was before upgrading the ESC fan.

Stock timing was 22.5°. Dropped it to 15° before first run.

I am running an 18t pinion. Stock was 15t.

Just would like them both to stay below 150° max temps.
I am more worried about when I get the scorched fenders in the added heat due to less airflow though the body of the rig.

@Tex Koder and I are working out a design that should work out well with the ESC for a larger fan. And it wont use the HS fins - using the stock mounting holes.
If temps are still too much for your liking, keep dropping the Timing down. And/or drop a pinion tooth at a time. You will get it right where temps are acceptable for you.
I generally like my ESC no higher than 120F and my Motors no higher than 140-150F.
With changes in ambient temps, its hard to control precise enough sometimes. So I just allow for cooldowns on very hot days. Even running in the shade versus direct sunlight can make a difference.
Using my temp gun, I gage how long it takes to cool down. The better fan setups will always cool down rather fast. Slow cool downs are a sign of inadequate cooling/Fans.
I always feel without a Motor Heat sink in the equation, cool downs are faster.

Have Any of you with these huge fan set ups ever tried adding thermal paste to the heat sink motor interface? Sooner or later that heat transfer boundary will be the limit, so if your fan and heat sink is big enough it might make a decent difference. I doubt it would make much difference on the stock set up. The way to tell would be to check the temperature of the heat sink itself in operation. The hotter the heat sink actually is the less Useful adding paste would be. But if the heat sink is getting pretty cool with your gigantic fan I will definitely give it a try.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back