How to do fishing line on tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonphelps

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So, I am about to put fishing line on my tires because I got new hyrax 2.8 and they are ballon.

Are there any good videos that explain exactly how to tie the fishing line and how it all works?

Also, it seems logical to me that I only need to do the front tires as they only seem to be the ones ballooning. Rear tires seems good.

How many times do I need to wrap the line around the tire?

What a few types of glue I can use and how many spots do I glue the line down.

I have looked for videos to answers these questions but I thought this was the best place to ask

So, I am about to put fishing line on my tires because I got new hyrax 2.8 and they are ballon.

Are there any good videos that explain exactly how to tie the fishing line and how it all works?

Also, it seems logical to me that I only need to do the front tires as they only seem to be the ones ballooning. Rear tires seems good.

How many times do I need to wrap the line around the tire?

What a few types of glue I can use and how many spots do I glue the line down.

I have looked for videos to answers these questions but I thought this was the best place to ask
Not sure on the fishing line fix. But alot of folks use Kevlar chord. Wrap 1 time and use really powerful CA glue. Should be same process but id wrap multiple time with the fishing line. But I've also never done it. Just tryin to help

I uses braided fishing line (like spider wire) I added a drop of CA (superglue - used the gel type) at the start of the wrap, then just wrapped the line around the tire snug (not pulling tight, just not leaving slack) about 4 or 5 times. You can see it in the pic below with the dabs of CA glue. Then just added a drop of glue after cutting the line and looping it under itself to finish. Went around and added a few drops around the loop for good measure.
1642993256238.png

if I use Kevlar cord instead of braided fishing line do I still wrap it 4 to 5 times around the tire ? does braided fishing line require more wraps?
What type of wheels are you running?? Like on my badlands there are 2 big grooves. So I would run a single piece in each groove. Just end to end

What type of wheels are you running?? Like on my badlands there are 2 big grooves. So I would run a single piece in each groove. Just end to end
I’m using hyrax I think it might end up being best with their grooves to only do one in the middle.
Also do I only need to do the front tires?

As you can see the center groove is smooth all the way around and the outside has studs sticking up in the grooves

4F70CA65-FDEC-4018-917B-BE355A331959.jpeg

I’m using hyrax I think it might end up being best with their grooves to only do one in the middle.
Also do I only need to do the front tires?

As you can see the center groove is smooth all the way around and the outside has studs sticking up in the grooves

View attachment 194912
Yea just weave 1 thru the smooth path. If they are ballooning also then go ahead. Esp to the point of loss of traction or maneuverability

Braid/Kevlar/Mono is just a Band-Aid fix.
Don’t be scared to open that Centre Diff up and throw some thicker fluid in there.

Braid/Kevlar/Mono is just a Band-Aid fix.
Don’t be scared to open that Centre Diff up and throw some thicker fluid in there.
It's actually a very good fix if done correctly. Thicker fluid in my opinion has never done enough but of course does help. The line really stops the tires from expanding
if I use Kevlar cord instead of braided fishing line do I still wrap it 4 to 5 times around the tire ? does braided fishing line require more wraps?
I just did my backflip LP tires and I just did 2 wraps, don't really have a reason for it but it's held up to a lot of runs so far. I did 1 wrap on my dad's tires and that has been fine so far as well. I used braided fishing line in the past and maybe I just didn't have the right one but it ended up shredding. The Kevlar has been beautiful. I got 200 lb cord from Amazon. Yes you can start with just running it down the center and then if you feel like you need more then you can run it down the sides (I did that on my hyrax)

It's actually a very good fix if done correctly. Thicker fluid in my opinion has never done enough but of course does help. The line really stops the tires from expanding
I just did my backflip LP tires and I just did 2 wraps, don't really have a reason for it but it's held up to a lot of runs so far. I did 1 wrap on my dad's tires and that has been fine so far as well. I used braided fishing line in the past and maybe I just didn't have the right one but it ended up shredding. The Kevlar has been beautiful. I got 200 lb cord from Amazon. Yes you can start with just running it down the center and then if you feel like you need more then you can run it down the sides (I did that on my hyrax)
Nothing wrong with extra mechanical protection. I have tied Braid around Katars before when speed running the Kraton.
When bashing in my experience there hasn’t been a need for it. Iv always run vented tyres and thick fluid in the middle. Haven’t had any issues with blowing tyres.
If you’re hitting a ramp a little ballooning will assist in rotation of the car.

Nothing wrong with extra mechanical protection. I have tied Braid around Katars before when speed running the Kraton.
When bashing in my experience there hasn’t been a need for it. Iv always run vented tyres and thick fluid in the middle. Haven’t had any issues with blowing tyres.
If you’re hitting a ramp a little ballooning will assist in rotation of the car.
Well it just depends on your bashing type. I do a lot of speed along with bashing so I have my tires vented and run at least 200k in the center and wrap the tires. My tires weren't blowing off I just wanted to reduce the risk and reduce wheelies

Just to clarify it appears there are two techniques to fastening the kevlar.

Technique #1: Wrap around the tire and tie. After tying cut loose ends and glue the knot down.
Technique #2. place one end of Kevlar on tire and glue down. wrap it around the tire and place the other end down on tire and glue that end down. No knots needed?

Obviously in both techniques you glue parts of the line down in several spots around the tire?

I lean towards the second technique if that is indeed an option. Reason being the kevlar seems somewhat thick to tie.

I uses braided fishing line (like spider wire) I added a drop of CA (superglue - used the gel type) at the start of the wrap, then just wrapped the line around the tire snug (not pulling tight, just not leaving slack) about 4 or 5 times. You can see it in the pic below with the dabs of CA glue. Then just added a drop of glue after cutting the line and looping it under itself to finish. Went around and added a few drops around the loop for good measure.
View attachment 194878
Did this solve the ballooning problem? Have never seen it done so simple, I love it.

Almost a 2 year old thread.

To answer your question yes it wouldnt help but not eliminate the problem. If you are having problems with tires blowing out on 6s electronics geared properly I would check your tire glue and center diff fluid.
Check this thread out.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/braided-fishing-line-anti-ballooning.8459/

Why is it every time some really old thread comes back, it is always a new member? Lol.

It is a simple way to solve the issue if you have tires that are a bit soft/flexible. Yes, center diff fluid to stop the front from over spinning will help, but not with all tires.

Why is it every time some really old thread comes back, it is always a new member? Lol.

It is a simple way to solve the issue if you have tires that are a bit soft/flexible. Yes, center diff fluid to stop the front from over spinning will help, but not with all tires.
Because we search for specific topics or questions and they come up regardless the age of them, and we seek assistance.

Because we search for specific topics or questions and they come up regardless the age of them, and we seek assistance.
There is no problem man we are here to help. The mods recently made a yellow banner which states if the threads are 90 days old you shouldnt reply or something. Again no problem but again listen to what I said in the above post. Hope it helps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back