How to easily revive chewed wheel hexes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use screws that are too large when you start, it may swell too much and could not fit into the Hex hub. I recommend using the smallest screw first.
Ahh I gotcha.

I'm actually going to source 2, 2.5 and 3mm set screws and try the 2 first. It pays to have a good mom and pop fastener shop in my hometown!

Hello guys.
This is Kim from Korea.

I love Notorious & backflip.
I would like to recommend my experience that I fixed my chewed wheel hex in backflip.
It is usual thing that wheels chewed up in the standing backflip.
I have ground 6wheel hexes on my test in order to find best backflip.
After fixing it as shown in the picture below, there has been no problem at all for a month so far.

It is easy. You need just 6 bolts as below.
Firstly recommended M2 or M3 and length 6mm screw (hex thickness is 6mm). If it were re-chewed you can use more bigger M3 or M4 screw.

View attachment 100210
View attachment 100211

The screw causes the pressed hex face to swell.

View attachment 100212
(before fixing)
Notorious’s hex has space for screw.

View attachment 100213
(after fixing)
View attachment 100214
(after fixing)

set screw or screw for wood which one you can use.

If there is no space to put in set screw, you might need drilling.
View attachment 100225

After fixing of screw, hex got stronger than before. Because of metal screw.

I hope this description will be helpful for you.
I think you don’t have to buy new wheel any more in this case.
Thanks,

gamsahabnida

M3x4mm seems like a perfect fit. Got these on Amazon.

Glarks 450Pcs M3/M4/M5/M6/M8 Allen Head Socket Set Screw, 12.9 Class Black Alloy Steel Internal Hex Drive Grub Screw Assortment Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T7N2N3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_RtneUBa13wu37

6F15EDD1-3CE9-43FB-9AF9-38E4D56E1A16.jpeg
7BFD0AAD-E5C9-4B5D-B2EF-BAC3C4A97071.jpeg

Needed to heat it up with a heat gun and press a hex in there. It wouldn’t go back on without this step.

283FE09A-96E5-4B88-A4E9-E7AB24539983.jpeg

Last edited:
M3x4mm seems like a perfect fit. Got these on Amazon.

Glarks 450Pcs M3/M4/M5/M6/M8 Allen Head Socket Set Screw, 12.9 Class Black Alloy Steel Internal Hex Drive Grub Screw Assortment Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T7N2N3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_RtneUBa13wu37

View attachment 100532View attachment 100533

Needed to heat it up with a heat gun and press a hex in there. It wouldn’t go back on without this step.

View attachment 100537
It is more improved idea.
and thank you for you feedback.

Last edited:
It is more improved idea.
and thank you for you feedback.
No thank you for the original idea. I had just stripped it that day and was trying to decide if I should buy a new wheel or a new set of tires. Hoping this fix holds up. ??

M3 too big for mine unless maybe the heat up idea will help. Once I put just one m3 in the hex looked too "swelled" to get a hub into.
Maybe put the hex in before the screws ???‍♂️

Hello guys.
This is Kim from Korea.

I love Notorious & backflip.
I would like to recommend my experience that I fixed my chewed wheel hex in backflip.
It is usual thing that wheels chewed up in the standing backflip.
I have ground 6wheel hexes on my test in order to find best backflip.
After fixing it as shown in the picture below, there has been no problem at all for a month so far.

It is easy. You need just 6 screws as below.
Firstly recommended M2 or M3 and length 6mm screw (hex thickness is 6mm). If it were re-chewed you can use more bigger M3 or M4 screw.

View attachment 100210
View attachment 100211

The screw causes the pressed hex face to swell.

View attachment 100212
(before fixing)
Notorious’s hex has space for screw.

View attachment 100213
(after fixing)
View attachment 100214
(after fixing)

set screw or screw for wood anyone you can use.

If there is no space to put in set screw, you might need drilling.
View attachment 100225

After fixing of screw, hex got stronger than before. Because of metal screw.

I hope this description will be helpful for you.
I think you don’t have to buy new wheel any more in this case.
Thanks,

Very nice Kim! I've found that with age I've lost any type of patients for that fix. My fix would have been a fast ball tire pitch at the garbage can and installing a brand new set. Probably comes with my racing habits of tossing out one use tires after the A-main.. None the less, great mod!

I wish I'd seen this sooner!! Up to now I use the "tin foil technique" which has always got me out of a pickle whilst bashing whereby u wrap it round your wheel nut tight superglue it in the hex which reinstates the hex so u can carry on bashing.

I have four wheels like this which are about to get "screwed".

Absolute genius idea ?

Very nice Kim! I've found that with age I've lost any type of patients for that fix. My fix would have been a fast ball tire pitch at the garbage can and installing a brand new set. Probably comes with my racing habits of tossing out one use tires after the A-main.. None the less, great mod!
Thank you for your attention.
I hope it will b helpful.
Really creative and clever fix.

I'm gonna store that in my grey matter.

Than you for sharing.
Thank you for your reply.
Just an update. I bashed my repaired wheel today pretty hard and it took it. Time will tell but I think this fix is legit. ????
Thank you.
I wish I'd seen this sooner!! Up to now I use the "tin foil technique" which has always got me out of a pickle whilst bashing whereby u wrap it round your wheel nut tight superglue it in the hex which reinstates the hex so u can carry on bashing.

I have four wheels like this which are about to get "screwed".

Absolute genius idea ?
Thank you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back