How to easily revive chewed wheel hexes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never stripped a wheel hex in five years
You’re doing it wrong ? The only ones I’ve spun are the Backflip LPs. They have voids that collapse under 6S/8S power.

Excellent fix. However I have had a notorious for 1.5 yrs and only yesterday changed the tyres. Never split or shredded the hex and I really push it to breaking a lot!! 🤘🏻

M3x4mm seems like a perfect fit. Got these on Amazon.

Glarks 450Pcs M3/M4/M5/M6/M8 Allen Head Socket Set Screw, 12.9 Class Black Alloy Steel Internal Hex Drive Grub Screw Assortment Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T7N2N3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_RtneUBa13wu37

View attachment 100532View attachment 100533

Needed to heat it up with a heat gun and press a hex in there. It wouldn’t go back on without this step.

View attachment 100537

So how is this fix holding up nearly 4 months on @jondilly1974?

You’re doing it wrong ? The only ones I’ve spun are the Backflip LPs. They have voids that collapse under 6S/8S power.
Old reply, but I also cant remember the last time I stripped a hex either. And I have all types of wheels here, bins full.

I thought of filling those voids around the hex with Hot glue or JB weld because I see others strip them. But never stripped mine and skipped that. Even my 3 sets of Backflips not one stripped. 🤷‍♂️ I only run on 6s ... maybe why? IDK.

I managed to strip a Backflip LP and week after a regular Backflip. It's still happening. I used both JBWeld and some grub screws to get it back under control.very annoying that we still don't have decent wheel hexes that cover 100% of the plastic and not just 2/3.

Brilliant... Simple fixes are the best...
Instead of ramping up sizes fitting csk machine screws would provide the added swelling required like the wood screw version, only less crude /more refined.

But thanks for the heads up ...v. cool

Maybe but I just figured that would capture the hex on the wheel and I wouldn't be able to reinstall it in the truck.

Not sure it would keep it's shape if I removed the hex after installing the screws. Maybe with the heat gun it would
Depends on the truck. Some trucks have floating hexes that press into the drive shaft using the wheel hex and bolt to tighten in. On my Arrma you need the hex installed on the drive shaft first, the. Push the wheel on.
I used the heat method, made the whole a little smaller, put the hex in then the screws until it was tight, but not too tight to fit the wheel onto the truck.
Nice fix.

Hello guys.
This is Kim from Korea.

I love Notorious & backflip.
I would like to recommend my experience that I fixed my chewed wheel hex in backflip.
It is usual thing that wheels chewed up in the standing backflip.
I have ground 6wheel hexes on my test in order to find best backflip.
After fixing it as shown in the picture below, there has been no problem at all for a month so far.

It is easy. You need just 6 screws as below.
Firstly recommended M2 or M3 and length 6mm screw (hex thickness is 6mm). If it were re-chewed you can use more bigger M3 or M4 screw.

View attachment 100210
View attachment 100211

The screw causes the pressed hex face to swell.

View attachment 100212
(before fixing)
Notorious’s hex has space for screw.

View attachment 100213
(after fixing)
View attachment 100214
(after fixing)

set screw or screw for wood anyone you can use.

If there is no space to put in set screw, you might need drilling.
View attachment 100225

After fixing of screw, hex got stronger than before. Because of metal screw.

I hope this description will be helpful for you.
I think you don’t have to buy new wheel any more in this case.
Thanks,
This works like a dream. Fixed my katars real well.

Absolutely genious!! I have same problem with my notorious I just gave my bavkflips to a friend said he was gonna try to fix the stripped one. Never thought of this, thank you for your wisdom!! Happy bashing!

Where does the new Hex come from 🤔
Sussed it 😉

Last edited:
Nice fix. Just wondering if it would be a good idea to place those grub screws precautionary in my still intact wheels to prevent this damage in future...
Do you think that would make sense...?
Sorry I am late !
No I don’t. Because normal hex is fit with hex nut. I think if you put screws in your wheel hex it would not fit wheel hex and hex nut.

I stripped my Mojave wheels recently thats on my Kraton. Its the rears that went so I swapped them to the front.
They still have some shape to them but I will have to check to see if they have enough space to add the screws.
Brilliant idea...I hope it work for me as these wheels/tires are brand new!:oops:

I stripped my Mojave wheels recently thats on my Kraton. Its the rears that went so I swapped them to the front.
They still have some shape to them but I will have to check to see if they have enough space to add the screws.
Brilliant idea...I hope it work for me as these wheels/tires are brand new!:oops:
There’s always the m2c fix too… although expensive they are reusable ;)

I don't bother fixing them. Or trying anymore.:rolleyes:

Hello guys.
This is Kim from Korea.

I love Notorious & backflip.
I would like to recommend my experience that I fixed my chewed wheel hex in backflip.
It is usual thing that wheels chewed up in the standing backflip.
I have ground 6wheel hexes on my test in order to find best backflip.
After fixing it as shown in the picture below, there has been no problem at all for a month so far.

It is easy. You need just 6 screws as below.
Firstly recommended M2 or M3 and length 6mm screw (hex thickness is 6mm). If it were re-chewed you can use more bigger M3 or M4 screw.

View attachment 100210
View attachment 100211

The screw causes the pressed hex face to swell.

View attachment 100212
(before fixing)
Notorious’s hex has space for screw.

View attachment 100213
(after fixing)
View attachment 100214
(after fixing)

set screw or screw for wood anyone you can use.

If there is no space to put in set screw, you might need drilling.
View attachment 100225

After fixing of screw, hex got stronger than before. Because of metal screw.

I hope this description will be helpful for you.
I think you don’t have to buy new wheel any more in this case.
Thanks,

This is such a Brilliant simple repair or Preventative solution!
I Love it !!

Will try it on one of my Mojave wheels that doesn't have those tiny gaps around the hex (I will have to drill some pilot holes to get the grub screws in) and report back on how it turns out.
(Initially, I wasn't sure to toss the wheel or at least try to de-glue the tire since it was still decent and stick it on a new rim..)
Now I can just try this fix and see if I can salvage the whole thing.

Thank you again for sharing your idea!

What fix is that? I'm not too familiar with their products.

I think he was referring to these >

M2C 3505 UNIVERSAL 6 LUG HEX ADAPTER KIT - $70.00​

LINK
m2c-3505-universal-6-lug-hex-adapter-kit.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back