How to easily revive chewed wheel hexes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What fix is that? I'm not too familiar with their products.
They have a hex fix kit.
This is such a Brilliant simple repair or Preventative solution!
I Love it !!

Will try it on one of my Mojave wheels that doesn't have those tiny gaps around the hex (I will have to drill some pilot holes to get the grub screws in) and report back on how it turns out.
(Initially, I wasn't sure to toss the wheel or at least try to de-glue the tire since it was still decent and stick it on a new rim..)
Now I can just try this fix and see if I can salvage the whole thing.

Thank you again for sharing your idea!

I think he was referring to these >

M2C 3505 UNIVERSAL 6 LUG HEX ADAPTER KIT - $70.00​

LINK
View attachment 186642
Yep that one!
Do you have to put it in all 4 or could I just buy one for the one stripped wheel?
You can use just the one yep. No need to put on all 4.. unless your ocd like me. lol!

There’s always the m2c fix too… although expensive they are reusable ;)
Checked it out. Looks like a guarantee solution. Thanks!:)
You can use just the one yep. No need to put on all 4.. unless your ocd like me. lol!
I couldnt use just one it would drive me crazy...in fact if I hear of someone using just one it would mess me up. hahaha

Checked it out. Looks like a guarantee solution. Thanks!:)

I couldnt use just one it would drive me crazy...in fact if I hear of someone using just one it would mess me up. hahaha

Damn!
It's someone else's problem if they choose to use just one.. and it would still bother you That much...?

My friend, please let it go, you're Way too OCD.
Just take a deep breath. It's Okay.
Breath..

Damn!
It's someone else's problem if they choose to use just one.. and it would still bother you That much...?

My friend, please let it go, you're Way too OCD.
Just take a deep breath. It's Okay.
Breath..
I don't look at the person who's doing it or why he's doing it...just the thought of something not being symmetrical causes a little short in my brain.🤏

Yea I have learned to not let stuff dwell but yes for a moment it would mess with me. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have to agree with @N.Mango, Would drive me crazy also. :p
But hey, we all RC differently.
It's pretty much subjective as to what's best to do.
Me, I would just buy another Pair of wheels.
Spend crazy $coin$ to repair a wheel????:rolleyes:
Not for me.

I stripped my Mojave wheels recently thats on my Kraton. Its the rears that went so I swapped them to the front.
They still have some shape to them but I will have to check to see if they have enough space to add the screws.
Brilliant idea...I hope it work for me as these wheels/tires are brand new!:oops:
Yes it works. Stripped a wheel hex on the Mojave. Wheels were still like new, so took the aluminium wheel hex of the axle and put it in the wheel. Instead of drilling a hole for the grub screw I just one of my favorite tools: fire 🔥😜. Heated the grub screw and put it in the wheel. I actually put three in in a triangular pattern. Wheels are still going 👍.

Yes it works. Stripped a wheel hex on the Mojave. Wheels were still like new, so took the aluminium wheel hex of the axle and put it in the wheel. Instead of drilling a hole for the grub screw I just one of my favorite tools: fire 🔥😜. Heated the grub screw and put it in the wheel. I actually put three in in a triangular pattern. Wheels are still going 👍.
I guess at this point its worth a shot and I have no doubt that it works after all the positive feedback on it. Plus it will get me going in the meantime.(y):)
But for future uses I will probably still get that fix from M2c as they are reusable.

If you don’t have them already, have a look at M2C part no. 3160 and you probably won’t need the hex revive kit😉
https://m2cracing.net/arrma/495-m2c-3160-arrma-17mm-hub-extenders.html
+1
Now that makes more sense to me. What I have used before. Mojave.
Although, I never rounded out a hex on the Mojo or any other wheel for that matter, using just stock Hex adapters.
I think it could be a combination of user error installing the wheels, along with high power setups. (8s)
The perfect storm resulting a bricked wheel?

+1
Now that makes more sense to me. What I have used before. Mojave.
Although, I never rounded out a hex on the Mojo or any other wheel for that matter, using just stock Hex adapters.
I think it could be a combination of user error installing the wheels, along with high power setups. (8s)
The perfect storm resulting a bricked wheel?
Could be both. I will say those fortress tires have some serious grip on grass and yea 8s.

Let me start off at the top since I am bringing this 2021 post back up :)

I posted here that my hex has twisted in my Kraton EXB wheel so the first step is to try to get it off before I can even think about the following ask below:

M3x4mm seems like a perfect fit. Got these on Amazon.

Glarks 450Pcs M3/M4/M5/M6/M8 Allen Head Socket Set Screw, 12.9 Class Black Alloy Steel Internal Hex Drive Grub Screw Assortment Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T7N2N3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_RtneUBa13wu37

View attachment 100532View attachment 100533

Needed to heat it up with a heat gun and press a hex in there. It wouldn’t go back on without this step.

View attachment 100537

My Man. I read in the post you have not touched this in a while. I do not really want a full grub screw kit although it is cheap. Do you know the size off-hand that you used in your post? Thx

I managed to strip a Backflip LP and week after a regular Backflip. It's still happening. I used both JBWeld and some grub screws to get it back under control.very annoying that we still don't have decent wheel hexes that cover 100% of the plastic and not just 2/3.

Man how did you fix come out with the JBWed combination here? Thx

There’s always the m2c fix too… although expensive they are reusable ;)

I will look at this. I hate to make the Kraton any wider on the stance it sits nicely as it is. If you added those, did it make it too much wider? Thx

I don't bother fixing them. Or trying anymore.:rolleyes:

How I feel but at the same time I am cheap...at times...but I still have so much life left on this tire, :-(

I like how you did this process. So you did 3 grub screws. Do you remember the size M3x6mm for example? So you placed a hex in the tire....correct and heated the grub screw and drilled each one in with heat and of course little pressure with a drill/wrench? No pre-drilling? Thx

Let me start off at the top since I am bringing this 2021 post back up :)

I posted here that my hex has twisted in my Kraton EXB wheel so the first step is to try to get it off before I can even think about the following ask below:

My Man. I read in the post you have not touched this in a while. I do not really want a full grub screw kit although it is cheap. Do you know the size off-hand that you used in your post? Thx

Man how did you fix come out with the JBWed combination here? Thx

I will look at this. I hate to make the Kraton any wider on the stance it sits nicely as it is. If you added those, did it make it too much wider? Thx

How I feel but at the same time I am cheap...at times...but I still have so much life left on this tire, :-(

I like how you did this process. So you did 3 grub screws. Do you remember the size M3x6mm for example? So you placed a hex in the tire....correct and heated the grub screw and drilled each one in with heat and of course little pressure with a drill/wrench? No pre-drilling? Thx
Lol it says it in the post you quoted. M3x4mm

Lol it says it in the post you quoted. M3x4mm

Man....you know those times you pause and look at yourself and then picture a jackass! Damn, I read it but at the same time I did not read it. Thx for not blasting my too much....I opened myself up to it. See what the wife says now, thx!

@Engineer thx Boss that worked and got it off...

JD...this looks bad...your opinion think it is still fixable?

1643759694779.png

1643759723954.png

Grub screws:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/121076880272
M3x4, 5 or 6 doesn't really matter. They will all work.
I used an old wheel hex and covered it in clear tape to use as a mold.
Add some JBWeld to the mangled hex and press this old alu hex to get the form. Remove access and let it cure.
When done, knock out the alu hex from the other side, the taps should have prevented bonding. I used regular packing tape (clear).
@parcou, yes. Very fixable with JB and the mold.

Man....you know those times you pause and look at yourself and then picture a jackass! Damn, I read it but at the same time I did not read it. Thx for not blasting my too much....I opened myself up to it. See what the wife says now, thx!

@Engineer thx Boss that worked and got it off...

JD...this looks bad...your opinion think it is still fixable?

View attachment 197166
View attachment 197167
That ones cooked boss. 😢

Thx JD...

The way I am thinking right now I do not want to fix it...I agree as JD said it looks to be gone. I say that because this has now started on the other rear side so it is starting to pull out wheel hex and twist "slightly" like this one as I looked closer. One bad and another is about to start. I am on point when I tighten my nuts before bashing. I watched the video on 3 Sons RC on the M2C 3160 17mm hex adapter set with the two nuts on the outside of the wheel....for the Kraton 3500 part number The rear tires must be putting down a hell of a lot of torque with the 1650kv motor because the front tire-wheel hex is perfect in shape.

I am going to take a leap of faith and say this will be an issue so let me get a system that will protect the wheel hex for my K6S EXB.

Let me get to ordering...

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back