How to get stripped screws out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the room for it, try slotting it with a Dremel with a cutting wheel then use a flathead screw driver to unscrew it.
Ok I don’t have a Dremel lol but maybe I have something else that can cut a little slot

heat it up after cutting a groove in it more chance of getting it out (y)

Anyone have good tips and/or tricks for getting stripped screws out?

After using a slotted driver to back some of it out, use a pair of vise grips, grab the head to back out the rest. If that doesn't work, you could Dremel off the screw head, remove the part so you have enough exposure of the threads to get a vise grip in there and twist it out.

Should ask.. What kind of screw? Is it a regular one or those tiny grub screws that you rounded out?

Last edited:
If you are good with a drill you can try reverse drill bits.

That’s funny I used a hand tool to strip many screws lol I use the dynamite ones
Are the stripped screws in plastic or metal? You did not say.
Metal to metal ( usually with TL) needs to be heated first to soften/release the TL. And despite using a decent Hex hand driver, if your Hex heads (socket heads) are Rusty from wet running or dirty they will strip out. I believe the 4x4 line of rigs use 10.9 grade hardware , and are softer metal. Try replacing with harder 12.9 grade screws ( 6s line rigs have these ). One alternative.
I only use MIP or VP hex drivers. And only use Dynamite brand Hex Nut drivers for my nuts.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back