Vorteks How to improve handling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honerbunch

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I've been visiting a nearby track with loose dirt. And my vorteks is all over the place. Can anyone suggest tasteful mods/upgrades and or tuning tips? Currently just running my vorteks on 2s since I'm fairly new to the hobby.

What I've done so far:
Changed pinion to 16T
Changed shock oil 60wt
Center brace and center driveshaft support
Installed GPM aluminum steering assembly
I have parts for 17mm hex conversion(planning on running 8th scale buggy wheels, but not now)
Integy shocks to arrive in hopefully 2 weeks

I'm not expecting the vorteks to be as nimble or as fast as racing buggies/truggies, i just want to get the most out of it :)

Vorteks comes with AVC which should help you out quite a bit while you’re learning how to control it. 30-40% Is enough typically. If it’s too high the ass end gets all squirrelly if it’s too low there’s no effect.

Change servo and servo saver is a good start.
Indeed, that's part of my future plans. Maybe a brushless SPT
Vorteks comes with AVC which should help you out quite a bit while you’re learning how to control it. 30-40% Is enough typically. If it’s too high the ass end gets all squirrelly if it’s too low there’s no effect.
Yeah, I'm playing around with avc. I usually leave it around 30% just to help me go all out on the straights. But on corners I feel that the vorteks is too "squirelly" with or without AVC. So I'm not really sure if it just tire grip or something else. On jumps I probably need to learn it more, mine always likes to nose dive

On jumps I probably need to learn it more, mine always likes to nose dive
Gotta practice throttle control mid-air. If your nose is goin down, more throttle will raise it. Tapping brakes will lower the nose. Just make sure to let off everything on landing! (y)

Have you changed the diff oil weights? That helps with control on the track too. My track is hard packed dirt with loose dirt on top.

I don't have a Vorteks (yet ;)), but my 3s Senton (30k cst-f/20k cst-r) & 3s Slash 2wd (60k cst) love the track!!

Last thing would be upgrading tires, better suited for loose gravel. I have the Pro Line Badlands SCT on my Slash and Duratrax Six Pack SC on my Senton. They both handle very well on my track.

Hope this helps! 😁✌️

Gotta practice throttle control mid-air. If your nose is goin down, more throttle will raise it. Tapping brakes will lower the nose. Just make sure to let off everything on landing! (y)

Have you changed the diff oil weights? That helps with control on the track too. My track is hard packed dirt with loose dirt on top.

I don't have a Vorteks (yet ;)), but my 3s Senton (30k cst-f/20k cst-r) & 3s Slash 2wd (60k cst) love the track!!

Last thing would be upgrading tires, better suited for loose gravel. I have the Pro Line Badlands SCT on my Slash and Duratrax Six Pack SC on my Senton. They both handle very well on my track.

Hope this helps! 😁✌️
Yeah, I figured the jumps was more skill/experience related. In theory I know what to do but not as easy to do in real life. I will take note of your tip regarding diff oil..

How about shock oil? I feel that the vorteks is too bouncy. Is that because of the spring or oil weight?

Indeed, that's part of my future plans. Maybe a brushless SPT

Yeah, I'm playing around with avc. I usually leave it around 30% just to help me go all out on the straights. But on corners I feel that the vorteks is too "squirelly" with or without AVC. So I'm not really sure if it just tire grip or something else. On jumps I probably need to learn it more, mine always likes to nose dive
The vorteks tires are not great for air control. They will work but you really have to nail it to pull the nose down or tap the brakes right off the jump to keep it up. Just make sure you’re not landing on power or brakes. I didn’t keep the stock tires on mine for very long. They were good for traction in light, loose dirt and so forth but I found I preferred rougher terrain and jumping. I have no idea how they would work on a track as I’ve never hit one of those.

Perhaps it feels squirrely in the corners because you’re oversteering, which is really easy to do. Unfortunately you can’t adjust the steering rate on the Vorteks (so it doesn’t turn as far). You can either have AVC or steering rate, not both with the dx3. It’ll take practice, just like air control while jumping you have to build the muscle memory for it to become natural.

Tires are the #1 thing that will help with handling. If you can’t get good traction the other stuff will suffer. The stock Vorteks tires are not good. They are very stiff and the treads get no bite. Truck just seems to slide around. Suggestions above are good. Something shortcouse style. Maybe even the Senton tires…..

I see I see.. so it basically comes down to learning more both the track and the car. As well as getting better tires and servo.. then probably next thing would be some tuning with diff oil weights.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back