Notorious How to know if you have enough shims?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepiper

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
So I got my diff shims in (exterior diff shims). I have taken apart everything, removed the stock shim, which is thicker than the shims I got. How do I know how many shims to install? Even with just stock shim, I don't feel any clicking between the gears.

I feel very comfortable with the Armma metal diffs. As for bulkheads I'm on the fence. But most everyone uses the HR's. I would gamble in a set of Vitavons if I could just convince my wallet. And which of my 6S rigs should be the guinea pig. I already have the HR sway bar mounts on my stock bulkheads. The stock plastic ones would bend out of shape. They were$19 alone for FR/RR
It costs $200. to do each rig of mine. Ouch, thats aprox. $1K. ?‍♂️
Some guys say you don't need the bulkhead covers or sway bar mounts. But it's all or nothing IMHO.

I feel very comfortable with the Armma metal diffs. As for bulkheads I'm on the fence. But most everyone uses the HR's. I would gamble in a set of Vitavons if I could just convince my wallet. And which of my 6S rigs should be the guinea pig. I already have the HR sway bar mounts on my stock bulkheads. The stock plastic ones would bend out of shape. They were$19 alone for FR/RR
It costs $200. to do each rig of mine. Ouch, thats aprox. $1K. ?‍♂️
I have hr in the front and gpm in the back of my kraton. My noto has gpm front and back. For shimming my noto I got 1 in each so they were pretty consistent. My HR didn't take any. I wouldn't recomend metal diff cups in fr/rr diffs though I have noticed some pinion rubbage (just the coating really, no metal) on the cups so when they wear out I'm going back to plastic. I have rubbed enough away now to clear so they are good now lmao :ROFLMAO: ?‍♂️

Thanks for the heads up. I see what you mean. HR's no shims needed. I have not used the Arrma metal diffs in fr or rr. Yet. Only all my center diffs. (exposed spur is fine) Are the Gpm's less $$.

Thanks for the heads up. I see what you mean. HR's no shims needed. I have not used the Arrma metal diffs in fr or rr. Yet. Only all my center diffs. (exposed spur is fine) Are the Gpm's less $$.
yes. and so far with tekjo gaskets I have had no leaks. But I will be going back to plastic for fr/rr from now on.

I was doubling up my stock diff gaskets with good results. (y) I heard the Tekjo's are thicker?
I checked GPM . Its about $15 USD less than HR for one. Vitavon is the same price as HR.

The main reason I never went with metal diffs fr or rr wa to avoid rotating weight. Its always best to keep them light. And the Arrma metal ones are very heavy compared to plastic, but are very strong and run cooler. The track guys only go metal at the center if that. Light rotating mass is important. Maybe its splitting hairs in a basher. IDK.

Last edited:
What do you like best? The GPM's? regardless of price.

What do you like best? The GPM's? regardless of price.
I only have the experience with the HR bulkheads, I haven't tried their cups. But for bulkheads GPM for sure, they offer more colours, it comes complete and I will get a lot of flack for this but to me gpm,integy and HR are all the same cheap crap aluminum. M2C, JBI and scorched all the way for anything like towers chassis etc. even braces stick to m2c or similar they are just better quality and don't strip out like the other guys.

Yeah my HR braces stripped. I use longer screws and nuts now. My M2C's on my Mojave are solid. Way better alloy. same with the chassis. JBI makes decent towers I think. Have them on my Mojave.

Yeah my HR braces stripped. I use longer screws and nuts now. My M2C's on my Mojave are solid. Way better alloy. same with the chassis. JBI makes decent towers I think. Have them on my Mojave.
I have his chassis and soon his battery trays. No more fighting with batteries and no lawn dart ejections lol

Are there any aluminum upgrades that are more or less necessary? I'm seeing diff cases, but then some in this thread speak of going back to plastic.

I only have the experience with the HR bulkheads, I haven't tried their cups. But for bulkheads GPM for sure, they offer more colours, it comes complete and I will get a lot of flack for this but to me gpm,integy and HR are all the same cheap crap aluminum. M2C, JBI and scorched all the way for anything like towers chassis etc. even braces stick to m2c or similar they are just better quality and don't strip out like the other guys.
If you are in the US, where are you purchasing your scorched products from?

Back