How to properly treat lipos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsytaz

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
So I know about charging with a proper charger at the correct rate and all that, and that you should “storage charge” when not using for awhile. I have a protek rc prodigy charger which makes it easy. So my question is about charging a lipo when it’s not “dead” Say I properly charge up my 4s and go out for a run but I don’t have enough time to run the battery till the esc cuts off at low voltage. So the battery still has some life. Do I have to discharge on storing mode before re balance charging it to full capacity? Or can I just throw it on a balance charge as is the next day or 2 and be good to go?

I error on caution and put all my batteries in storage mode after running even if I’m planning on running the next day. I store my batteries in my garage - bag , ammo can - but still cautious about fire. Overkill ? Maybe. Sleep better ? definitely.

From storage mode to full charge (balanced) on my 3S batteries it takes 20mins a pair, so typically I’ll charge morning of day of use and then regardless of use even If all didn’t get used I’ll put them all back on storage mode.

Only downside is a pack on nearly full charge will take a good 1-1.5 hours to get the voltage down to storage level so typically if I know I’m not going to use both set I’ll swap out earlier to make sure all pairs have seen some discharge.

I do remember reading some testing that showed leaving a battery in full charge over night was more damaging then putting into storage that night and then back onto full charge the morning of (hope that makes sense)

As for storage it all depends on climate as some garages will see quite high temps!

I have all mine in their own Lipo bags and then in a metal tin and this is kept in the house (but out of the way)

Not like this...???

IMG_3135.jpg

No matter if I'm using my bashers ( Xmaxx + 6S Typhon ) or club racing with our indoor racers , if they went to LVC , or I finished the whole 5 min race , I wait til they cool down and send them into storage mode . If I break something , and the batteries had a pretty good amount of charge left in them , I discharge them from my charger to the storage voltage .
Agree DON'T leave a battery fully charged and sit , couple hours OK , but not overnight/days , had a hard case 2s swell and spilt the case .

From storage mode to full charge (balanced) on my 3S batteries it takes 20mins a pair, so typically I’ll charge morning of day of use and then regardless of use even If all didn’t get used I’ll put them all back on storage mode.

Only downside is a pack on nearly full charge will take a good 1-1.5 hours to get the voltage down to storage level so typically if I know I’m not going to use both set I’ll swap out earlier to make sure all pairs have seen some discharge.

I do remember reading some testing that showed leaving a battery in full charge over night was more damaging then putting into storage that night and then back onto full charge the morning of (hope that makes sense)

As for storage it all depends on climate as some garages will see quite high temps!

I have all mine in their own Lipo bags and then in a metal tin and this is kept in the house (but out of the way)

I just picked up a smart discharges for those days I didn’t use all batteries I thought I would. Discharges to storage voltage and turns off. Still need to test that theory though.

Okay, yes that makes sense. That’s what I was wondering. Cause this morn I went out with two fully charged 4s packs, ran the first till the esc cut me off and only got maybe 10 mins into the second. So I’ll storage charge both then and when I go back out, re balance both. Thanks for the info!

I always storage charge all lipos when I get home and balance charge as close to run time as possible.

, and that you should “storage charge” when not using for awhile.

Hi
The day to day "storage" for us is about 45-50% of charging. Never 100%.
We use storage mode if we don't use it after 2-3 weeks. (winter)

I error on caution and put all my batteries in storage mode after running even if I’m planning on running the next day. I store my batteries in my garage - bag , ammo can - but still cautious about fire. Overkill ? Maybe. Sleep better ? definitely.
I don't know about your garage, but mine gets both hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
LiPos are best stored at room temp.

I keep mine in lipo safe bags inside of a metal tool box in the Laundry room close to the garage.

I don't know about your garage, but mine gets both hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

I keep mine in lipo safe bags inside of a metal tool box in the Laundry room close to the garage.
I charge in lipo bag on my stovetop. Store in a sealed metal ammo can. Never store them in hot or cold.

I live in AK. Summers 70 s for the most part and in the winter the garage is heated so mid 60 s. I’ll keep a eye out for any swelling or derogated run times. Thanks for the tip.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back