How to protect my paint job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robii

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
Hi guys, I’ve just finished a pixel style paint job for me 3s (pics attached)

I’m really new at painting and I’ve discovered it’s really easy to scratch off the paint from the inside - is there a way to protect it!?!

641FD0F7-0A56-4645-95AE-30EB53C6857F.jpeg

600B7845-9DE6-40AE-9796-D0F51D06FE6B.jpeg

4418544D-ED3D-4202-B02D-F463D754A856.jpeg

0E83B798-C805-4A0F-9891-8EC4A7998720.jpeg

Hi guys, I’ve just finished a pixel style paint job for me 3s (pics attached)

I’m really new at painting and I’ve discovered it’s really easy to scratch off the paint from the inside - is there a way to protect it!?!

View attachment 175775

View attachment 175776

View attachment 175777

View attachment 175778
Once you know it's fully cured, you can line the inside with Gorilla tape in the areas that are most likely to get worn from rubbing on other parts of the buggy. The bad news is that if it gets banged around hard enough, paint is going to flake. Here's a picture of my custom painted T6S body and the tape job I did inside.
20201203_215951.jpg
20210731_154456-01.jpeg

Once you know it's fully cured, you can line the inside with Gorilla tape in the areas that are most likely to get worn from rubbing on other parts of the buggy. The bad news is that if it gets banged around hard enough, paint is going to flake. Here's a picture of my custom painted T6S body and the tape job I did inside.View attachment 175783View attachment 175784
Looking nice!
You must put it on the shelf to ensure nothing happens to it. Can never run it, EVER!
Yeh I mean, it’s definitely going on a shelf, at least in till I paint a better one! 😅

If you cleaned the body well and scuffed it with scuff pads, cleaned it again with dish soap, used Quality Tamiya PC paint and painted on a very dry day with VERY light initial coats of paint, you should not have any paint separation througout the life of the body. If it happens, you know why. Painting in humid conditions can make or break good paint adhesion. It's all about preparation when it comes to painting.
Seems like doing such a nice job, (and it truly is) you are afraid to damage it.;)
I have done this a few times, I surprise myself with a great job and hate ruining it. But after you have painted dozens of bodies, it will wear off. You can always do another one. Just me.
I don't line my bodies any longer. Just Gorilla tape around the body post holes and thats it. Patch as needed when it breaks. Remember too thick of coats hurts you. Not letting the coats dry well between coats can also cause paint peeling.
Again. Very nice Graphics.(y)

:cool:

Last edited:
Once you know it's fully cured, you can line the inside with Gorilla tape in the areas that are most likely to get worn from rubbing on other parts of the buggy. The bad news is that if it gets banged around hard enough, paint is going to flake. Here's a picture of my custom painted T6S body and the tape job I did inside.View attachment 175783View attachment 175784
The tape works to a point but like you said it still ends up flaking. The construction adhesive works so good and I have used shoe goo and other similar products. It's cheaper and you get a big tube that you can save and do multiple bodies with

I find construction adhesive sets harder than the Lexan and will actually pull off the paint when the adhesive separates from impacts. And it also makes the body much heavier. Just my experience.

I find construction adhesive sets harder than the Lexan and will actually pull off the paint when the adhesive separates from impacts. And it also makes the body much heavier. Just my experience.
Maybe we are using a different product. This stuff is very flexible and hasn't peeled off at all and I have used it on multiple bodies. But yes weight is a factor but shoe goo adds weight as well so I feel like that's not a concern

Liquid Nails is construction adhesive
I don't know about Gorilla. have that also. Never considered it for the body.

Liquid Nails is construction adhesive
I don't know about Gorilla. have that also. Never considered it for the body.
Give it a shot, make sure it is the flexible one. Idk if they are all flexible or not but the one I linked above is what I use. It's fantastic. You can unscrew the cap and screw it back on for the next time you get a new body. Way cheaper than shoe goo.

I done spray can bed liner. So far so good. And some pretty good impacts its absorbed now. And ZERO peeling or seperating 👍. Bought at Home Depot. I can post a pic of can later when at home

20210509_185010.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back