How to remove old glue tires off the rims

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-BASH

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
Going to try swapping some good tires on some old rims wondering what's the best way to get the glue tires off the old rims how do I know of

I rarely do that because there is usually one wheel that doesn't quite get a clean enough bead area around the wheel for re-gluing. That one tire will spin untrue and be sloppy running if the glue even holds.
Not that it cant be done. Give it try.
My choice is to boil each wheel and tire in a large pot of boiling water. 10-15 minutes or even longer depending how much CA was used originally. You will be surprised to find that some pre-mounted tires had very little glue used and come apart real easily. I don't like chemicals like acetone. Tried that too. Very time consuming. Some have used the bake method in a toaster oven. Check videos on this. Need gloves to handle obviously when they are ready to remove while hot, whether boiling or baking. With boiling, hot water can splash on you. The tire's foam will be full of boiling water also. Be careful that's all.

Stinks up the house ?..... I put mine in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes I think. It was a long time ago, I think those are the right numbers.
It worked. There are other options. I’m sure someone will get back to you.

We do this all the time when we race , when we wear out the tires , I slice the tires with a razor knife right down to the bead , submerse the rim ( partial tire left on it ) in acetone covered up for a day or so . The remaining tire remnant falls right off the rim , rim is ready to reuse and install a new tire on it .
In your case , you want to reuse the tire , so you have to submerse the entire rim and tire in acetone and check it in a day to see if is ready to "pull" it off the rim without damage , if not , leave it in there another day . Once you remove the "good" tire off the rime , the foam inside is now junk (need new ones) , you are going to have to let the tires sit as they will be expanded larger from the orig size due the acetone they absorbed .
Tip , get/use a container with a lid when you do this as the acetone WILL evaporate !!! And you might have to put something heavy in there to hold down the tires to the bottom as they will float up out of the acetone . Good luck !!!
BTW, the acetone dissolves all the glue off the bead of the rim , and off the edge of the tires so they are ready to re-glue .

Boiling is not as stinky as baking. Baking actually burns the Ca and rubber up.
But acetone will make you cry if you ask me, and it takes sooo long to soak in the fumes. It is the fumes of the acetone that breaks apart the ca glue. I started to do it and I gave up quick.
I find that some of the rubber and Ca remains on the wheels no matter what. There's a lot of prep work needed to the wheel beads before you can glue new tires on. Time consuming from my experience. But give it a try.

I'll try the boiling method I got a whole box full of wheels and tires with one wheel broke or one tire came apart just trying to make a decent pair out of all of them. Some of the tires are almost new. I appreciate all the advice
Anybody think the foam inserts will be reusable?

I'll try the boiling method I got a whole box full of wheels and tires with one wheel broke or one tire came apart just trying to make a decent pair out of all of them. Some of the tires are almost new. I appreciate all the advice
Anybody think the foam inserts will be reusable?
If you bake them or boil yes baking may shrink them a tiny bit but won’t hurt them

hopefully come up with a run able set.ole lady's gonna be ALL FIRED UP when she sees me boiling dirty tires on her stove.ill let you all now how it works out , if she don't KILL ME FIRST..LOL

Attachments

• 15957899154693683002823996524624.jpg
    15957899154693683002823996524624.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 74
I tried baking, boilng and acetone. Baking worked the best. Boiling filled the tires with hot water that squirts all over you when you try popping them off the bead. Acetone is waaaaaaay to laborious, stinks up the house and ruins the foams. Baking stunk things up a bit, but worked the best.

I had a tire removing day quite a few years back when I went from 14mm to 17mm MT wheels:
2010-0214-TireBake01.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back