How to remove the anodized red on the Typhon Shocks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I do like the red...but I would like the Typhon shocks I run on my Granite/BR to be polished silver vs red. I will not ask if this is easy...what is the best process to removing the anodized red?

Unless there is one already anodized for purchase....

Thx

I do like the red...but I would like the Typhon shocks I run on my Granite/BR to be polished silver vs red. I will not ask if this is easy...what is the best process to removing the anodized red?

Thx
I'm someone did it just recently, they used some sort of acid I think. Maybe they'll chip in.

Last edited:
Here's a thread someone else was asking and there's a few different ways listed in this thread. But ya as I said easyoff works

Thx...what link :)

You are looking for sodium hydroxide that will clean the color off. Also, after it might look inconsistent after you get all the color off, I tend to use barkeepers friend (oxalic acid) to clean off some of the over oxidation from the NaOH.

You are looking for sodium hydroxide that will clean the color off. Also, after it might look inconsistent after you get all the color off, I tend to use barkeepers friend (oxalic acid) to clean off some of the over oxidation from the NaOH.
Thx. But why does this sound so scary to me, LOL. Chemistry was my weakness is HS and college.

Thx
mister muscle sink and drain cleaner

Easy Off in the yellow can. You will have to polish after, it leaves a dull finish. Ruins removes anodizing in mere minutes.

Easy Off in the yellow can. You will have to polish after, it leaves a dull finish. Ruins removes anodizing in mere minutes.
Bet...will give this a try

When you say polish....how? never polished metal so something like steel wool or any ideas?

I preferred pure lye (a.k.a. caustic soda). It's the main ingredient in drain cleaner. I tried Easy Off, it works, but it's messy, smelly, and because it's foam you can get inconsistent coverage. Using lye in water is cleaner, faster, more thorough, leaves much less oxidation. Be careful. Use protection and a well ventilated area. Caustic soda can burn skin/eyes and the gases released are not good for you. Same goes for Easy Off. If you want extra shiny you can polish, but I didn't feel the need.
https://www.amazon.com/ComStar-024924305003-Drain-Opener-White/dp/B00PKNBK24/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1EVZ6QO3X8FFK&dchild=1&keywords=comstar+pure+lye&qid=1621611027&sprefix=comstar+,industrial,154&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Lye is sodium hydroxide (NaOH), Just check the container.

The higher the concentration of NaOH the faster it goes, but it’s also harder to handle safety. NaOH, will oxidize aluminum.

Yes, the yellow easy off can goes slow enough to make the process approachable for most.

Easy Off will also eat the aluminum if you leave it long enough. But you stop as soon as there's no more anodizing and immediately rinse. And it's clear so it's easy to see when it's done. With Easy Off, you have to soak for much longer, some pieces are done sooner than others, you can't see through the foam so you have to pick them out to check. It ends up being less safe. You're checking it over and over, breathing in the fumes, handling the caustic material, etc.

Last edited:
mister muscle sink and drain cleaner

I preferred pure lye (a.k.a. caustic soda). It's the main ingredient in drain cleaner. I tried Easy Off, it works, but it's messy, smelly, and because it's foam you can get inconsistent coverage. Using lye in water is cleaner, faster, more thorough, leaves much less oxidation. Be careful. Use protection and a well ventilated area. Caustic soda can burn skin/eyes and the gases released are not good for you. Same goes for Easy Off. If you want extra shiny you can polish, but I didn't feel the need.
https://www.amazon.com/ComStar-024924305003-Drain-Opener-White/dp/B00PKNBK24/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1EVZ6QO3X8FFK&dchild=1&keywords=comstar+pure+lye&qid=1621611027&sprefix=comstar+,industrial,154&sr=8-1

Lye is sodium hydroxide (NaOH), Just check the container.

The higher the concentration of NaOH the faster it goes, but it’s also harder to handle safety. NaOH, will oxidize aluminum.

Yes, the yellow easy off can goes slow enough to make the process approachable for most.

I cannot find the c. soda but to what you all are saying....it's the same as this below....just lye? I know there is the Easy Off method I rather just drop it in a bath so it also gets the all the internals/inside areas.

1621710151661.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back