How to remove the anodized red on the Typhon Shocks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot find the c. soda but to what you all are saying....it's the same as this below....just lye? I know there is the Easy Off method I rather just drop it in a bath so it also gets the all the internals/inside areas.

View attachment 147348
Yes that will work.

I forgot about another method that is chemical free. Take yer portable cement mixer, toss in a few shovels of sand an' a little water, drop in yer parts, and let'er run for a bit. That'll take the coating off, and you won't even need to waste a pair of gloves. See? Outside the futhermuckin' box, right there.

I forgot about another method that is chemical free. Take yer portable cement mixer, toss in a few shovels of sand an' a little water, drop in yer parts, and let'er run for a bit. That'll take the coating off, and you won't even need to waste a pair of gloves. See? Outside the futhermuckin' box, right there.
I wonder if a rock tumbler would work?

Yes, so would a brass tumbler. It's a common finishing process in industry.

If I had one in the garage....would be a viable option 🤣

I only ever need the slightest excuse to buy more tools ..

I am doing this on the Typhon 6S shocks. The black cap was not in mind I was going to leave it black...but now just curious if the cap anodized and could be done the same way....or skip it

Thx all for the tips on this process...

I used the Lye process & water and it only took a matter of minutes to remove the anodized color. I was well masked the smell was stong although outside. At this point I have just used the metal polish with the buffer and green pad. Tomorrow I will use the Mother's Aluminum polish to shine it up...but looks good as is for me. I used the steel wool to get into the threads a bit more they were much darker coming out the Lye bath...don't think it will get much lighter...maybe with the Mother's they will...

Will follow-up once fullu done....

1622174448942.png

1622174281788.png

1622174317525.png
1622174355250.png

Looks mighty fine from here! The dark stuff in the threads is normal when polishing aluminum. Some paint thinner and a rag will take that residue right off. You're gonna have a bling bling basher!

Multiple ways works for stripping anodizing. I used Dollar tree oven cleaner in a zip loc, then purple power to strip any leftover anodizing, and a wool bit on the Dremel for polishing.

I tried searching for plain lye and couldn't find it locally, I actually wanted it for a drain at the time.

Multiple ways works for stripping anodizing. I used Dollar tree oven cleaner in a zip loc, then purple power to strip any leftover anodizing, and a wool bit on the Dremel for polishing.

I tried searching for plain lye and couldn't find it locally, I actually wanted it for a drain at the time.

Agree on the Lye....could not find it locally...Amazon :cool: go figure...

I do like the red...but I would like the Typhon shocks I run on my Granite/BR to be polished silver vs red. I will not ask if this is easy...what is the best process to removing the anodized red?

Unless there is one already anodized for purchase....

Thx
Aparently super clean is an anodizer eater. Idk if it eats alluminium tho lol

Been waiting for the Team Associate springs to arrive....they are closer to the lb/in for the Big Rock compared to the Typhon are too soft. I am a bit used to seeing silver springs I will have to get used to the black on the Typhon 6S springs

1622604668396.png

I might just know a way to get the black off those springs... I ain't gonna lye to ya.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back