How to setup a Granite BLX for my 3yr granddaughter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
So,

50yr grandpa needs a little RC buddy. I have all-girls (2 daughters), so no help in the male corner. Only granddaughter, 3yr little girl that will be 4 in Dec. I have another little granddaughter baking in the oven, which is her Lil sister. Just no boys in sight for me.

I have my 2nd Arrma RC I bought getting into the hobby in 2020, which is a 3S Granite BLX. Grandbaby always asks me when she is going to drive her truck, the Granite. My answer is I have not painted in pink and purple yet...she calls me out each time she visits that it is not ready. I can hide them my business office wall is like model cars with all my RCs on the shelf for display.

I do not want to buy a new RC for her I rather work with what I have and let her grow in skills to get better with it. In addition, I can easily fix it, and have lots of parts.

• I have a DX3 radio on it, so I can control the throttle to 50%, but it still needs to be slower, like at a crawling pace. How do I limit the trigger pull? Any ideas or examples
  • I do have 2S batteries, so that will limit some power at 50% throttle, but for a 3yr I do want it slower
  • It does have an AVC rx inside but at this stage she will be slow driving

Question is. How do you set up an RC for a 3-4 yr old?

Thx

My grandsons are 2 and 4.
The 4 yo just bashes the hell out of a voltage. Back and forth, but learning how to steer and drive. The 2 yo just cant.

The 2S lipos are just a bit to powerful, although he likes it but the NiMH are better.
I Also bought a $18 gyro and upgraded the servo which helps immensely.
I bought 2 voltages for them to kill but they've held up well!

Mini Gyro Module for RC Cars

So the 2yo picked my 3S Typhon controller. Car on with a 20t pinion and a 100C 8000mAh Lipo and in a blink of an eye, it took off over 2 lawns, across the street, over another front lawn, into a back yard and beyond the fence - in like 3 seconds - in slow motion. o_O

Last edited:
My grandsons are 2 and 4.
The 4 yo just bashes the hell out of a voltage. Back and forth, but learning how to steer and drive. The 2 yo just cant.

The 2S lipos are just a bit to powerful, although he likes it but the NiMH are better.
I Also bought a $18 gyro and upgraded the servo which helps immensely.
I bought 2 voltages for them to kill but they've held up well!

Mini Gyro Module for RC Cars

So the 2yo picked my 3S Typhon controller. Car on with a 20t pinion and a 100C 8000mAh Lipo and in a blink of an eye, it took off over 2 lawns, across the street, over another front lawn, into a back yard and beyond the fence - in like 3 seconds - in slow motion. o_O

Like this...

You opened a door. Can I run the NiMH on a BLX will the Firma ESC work with that battery? I assume you just bought an EC5 adapter to NiMH?

I have a DX3 radio on it, so I can control the throttle to 50%, but it still needs to be slower, like at a crawling pace. How do I limit the trigger pull? Any ideas or examples
Modify your controller by physically blocking the trigger to limit throttle range. Just tape a piece of wood in between there
I do have 2S batteries, so that will limit some power at 50% throttle, but for a 3yr I do want it slower
NiMH could help. Quite cheap.

I built a truck for a neighborhood kid, he's 4. It was a brushless redcat blackout to begin with, way too fast. I put the motor and ESC in the parts box and installed a 12t titan and brushed ESC. Paired it with an SLT3 tx/rx for the ability to go even slower with the throttle switch and 7.2 nimh and it's been PERFECT for him.

So,

50yr grandpa needs a little RC buddy. I have all-girls (2 daughters), so no help in the male corner. Only granddaughter, 3yr little girl that will be 4 in Dec. I have another little granddaughter baking in the oven, which is her Lil sister. Just no boys in sight for me.

I have my 2nd Arrma RC I bought getting into the hobby in 2020, which is a 3S Granite BLX. Grandbaby always asks me when she is going to drive her truck, the Granite. My answer is I have not painted in pink and purple yet...she calls me out each time she visits that it is not ready. I can hide them my business office wall is like model cars with all my RCs on the shelf for display.

I do not want to buy a new RC for her I rather work with what I have and let her grow in skills to get better with it. In addition, I can easily fix it, and have lots of parts.

• I have a DX3 radio on it, so I can control the throttle to 50%, but it still needs to be slower, like at a crawling pace. How do I limit the trigger pull? Any ideas or examples
  • I do have 2S batteries, so that will limit some power at 50% throttle, but for a 3yr I do want it slower
  • It does have an AVC rx inside but at this stage she will be slow driving

Question is. How do you set up an RC for a 3-4 yr old?

Thx
$40 dumbo remote and you can turn the speed down to 10% literally. It’s what I have on my wife’s car 😂

$40 dumbo remote and you can turn the speed down to 10% literally. It’s what I have on my wife’s car 😂
Does the Dumbo also do that for reverse? My SLT3 at 50% seems to still have full reverse power. Unless I am missing something?

50% on these 3S BLX rigs is still pretty nutty for beginners. Another thing I was thinking of was a TQI radio with the Bluetooth module?

Does the Dumbo also do that for reverse? My SLT3 at 50% seems to still have full reverse power. Unless I am missing something?

50% on these 3S BLX rigs is still pretty nutty for beginners. Another thing I was thinking of was a TQI radio with the Bluetooth module?
i use the dumbo X6 on the 3S Typhon that i hand-off to the inexperienced adults with the throttle turned down Low! I use the program card to lower the revers throttle as far as it goes. It helps! Or I just throw a 2S in which is just NO fun and they're still scared and potentially dangerous :rolleyes:

Really....even with a Spektrum receiver in the RC? Mind sharing that remote name\model :)
i use the dumbo X6 on the 3S Typhon that i hand-off to the inexperienced adults with the throttle turned down Low! I use the program card to lower the revers throttle as far as it goes. It helps! Or I just throw a 2S in which is just NO fun and they're still scared and potentially dangerous :rolleyes:

Hmm...although I would not want to pair it with a DX5C spare I have but makes me think. On that radio....how far can I take the throttle curve down?

Has anyone done this on a DX5C radio this might be possible with all it's programming in the tx.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002756021132.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.529d1802lRCjdC

I have 3 of these. Price/performance is very very good (range is awesome👍). This is the transmitter with the receiver that has gyro (gyro is about USD 1 or 2 more so a no brainer).
Throttle % is down with a turn knob (0%-100%) so very easy👍. Just make sure you don’t show your grandchild how it’s done and I’d put some tape over the cap because those little rascals can figure it out pretty quick🤣.
The power % button is the left bottom one. EDIT: I actually think it’s the right one🤣. Better check the 2 page manual it comes with🤣.
FYI: gyro function can be turned on/off with a toothpick, paperclip etc.
The steering wheel is plasticky so I replaced it with a 1USD steering foam wheel.
image.jpg

Last edited:
This^^^
Has anyone done this on a DX5C radio this might be possible with all it's programming in the tx.
On the DX5C you should be able to go to the throttle DR and dial it down to very low. If you go too low, the motor will just cog and the truck won't move, so play with it.

You can also use throttle EPA, but remember to adjust both forward and reverse.

Also, whichever route you go, set up a new Model Memory slot for "Kid Mode". This way, instead of playing with the settings, you just swap from Normal to Kid mode, and hand over the radio. It is a lot easier / quicker.

I'd gear down to something like a 10 or 11t pinion (the stock blx system doesn't work as smoothly 2s on 50% at low RPMs) and run with a 2s or 6 cell nimh on 50%. This will have the benefit of giving better low end torque to make up for the lack of speed when getting through obstacles (grass, rocks, dirt, people... ;)) My son has been running my big rock on 11t pinion on 3s for a while (he's been driving for almost 2 years) with good results. Easy to move up to faster eventually by just changing the battery.

The only thing is that the larger capactiy nimh's are actually slightly more expensive compared to lipos. Oddly enough.

I'd gear down to something like a 10 or 11t pinion (the stock blx system doesn't work as smoothly 2s on 50% at low RPMs) and run with a 2s or 6 cell nimh on 50%. This will have the benefit of giving better low end torque to make up for the lack of speed when getting through obstacles (grass, rocks, dirt, people... ;)) My son has been running my big rock on 11t pinion on 3s for a while (he's been driving for almost 2 years) with good results. Easy to move up to faster eventually by just changing the battery.

The only thing is that the larger capactiy nimh's are actually slightly more expensive compared to lipos. Oddly enough.

Best thing to do.
You basically get a crawler at that point..

Also, having or finding a bigger place/field to drive around helps..

Question. Testing a 3S rig with a 3S battery for my granddaughter...but I plan to use 2S just had a 3S by me. I can take the DX5C and set the forward throttle travel down to 15, and it moves nice and slow...and I set the reverse as well to 15-20. I do get a little forward cogging we know this with a brushless motor, but it is not too bad, nothing she will see, but if I go lower to 10 for travel which is nicer, the cogging is worse.

Think going to a 13T pinion would help reduce some of the cogging?

Have you experienced better gearing down to a 10 or 11T in case if you have done this?

Thx

Question. Testing a 3S rig with a 3S battery for my granddaughter...but I plan to use 2S just had a 3S by me. I can take the DX5C and set the forward throttle travel down to 15, and it moves nice and slow...and I set the reverse as well to 15-20. I do get a little forward cogging we know this with a brushless motor, but it is not too bad, nothing she will see, but if I go lower to 10 for travel which is nicer, the cogging is worse.

Think going to a 13T pinion would help reduce some of the cogging?

Have you experienced better gearing down to a 10 or 11T in case if you have done this?

Thx
Yes, gearing down has helped alot for my big rock that my son runs. The cogging at lower power levels is okay on pavement, but gets very noticeable if you ever take the truck off road.

My experience (amongst other threads i've seen) is that the stock blx system doesn't have alot of low end torque. Lowering the throttle travel just decreases max power, which means that at 10%, you're only getting 10% of power through the motor. Which means that at low RPMs, you'll get alot of cogging. Especially like when my son would run his granite or my big rock in taller grass or loose, deep dirt. If he ever let it stop, it was much harder to get it started (since it would be cogging so much). I would frequently have to turn it off an on again because the esc shuts off if it cogs too much.

Just recently i attempted to counteract the cogging by trying the 11t pinion. Lowering the pinion decreases top speed but increases torque. For example, if you could gear down to a 10t pinion and set the throttle travel (or power) to 75% on a 2s, you'll get about the same max speed as the stock setup on 50%, but more torque overall. Meaning less cogging. The motor will be "revving" higher, which will be closer to the motors optimum power band (at higher RPM). The results are pretty good. I didn't run it too much on 2s since i switched him to 3s (I'm using his 2s in a 2x2s configuration in my tekno MT410).

In your case, i think gearing down will fix the situation. I'm using traxxas part TRA5641 (11t). A 13t tooth would help, it's worth trying. In this case you'll get the best results by gearing down the most you can.

Yes, gearing down has helped alot for my big rock that my son runs. The cogging at lower power levels is okay on pavement, but gets very noticeable if you ever take the truck off road.

My experience (amongst other threads i've seen) is that the stock blx system doesn't have alot of low end torque. Lowering the throttle travel just decreases max power, which means that at 10%, you're only getting 10% of power through the motor. Which means that at low RPMs, you'll get alot of cogging. Especially like when my son would run his granite or my big rock in taller grass or loose, deep dirt. If he ever let it stop, it was much harder to get it started (since it would be cogging so much). I would frequently have to turn it off an on again because the esc shuts off if it cogs too much.

Just recently i attempted to counteract the cogging by trying the 11t pinion. Lowering the pinion decreases top speed but increases torque. For example, if you could gear down to a 10t pinion and set the throttle travel (or power) to 75% on a 2s, you'll get about the same max speed as the stock setup on 50%, but more torque overall. Meaning less cogging. The motor will be "revving" higher, which will be closer to the motors optimum power band (at higher RPM). The results are pretty good. I didn't run it too much on 2s since i switched him to 3s (I'm using his 2s in a 2x2s configuration in my tekno MT410).

In your case, i think gearing down will fix the situation. I'm using traxxas part TRA5641 (11t). A 13t tooth would help, it's worth trying. In this case you'll get the best results by gearing down the most you can.
Wow you sumed up my experience today in one reply and at the same time gave me some great info. This was really helpful I did notice it has no power that love of travel and grass did not seem like and option but your explanation filled in the gaps of what was going on. Thx!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back