Vorteks how to slow down a 3s BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathieu

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Vorteks
Hi Guys,

Newby here, I am trying to slow down a Vorteks 3S BLX for my sons. Below are the things I have tried but are looking for more options.

1) went to 2s and it is getting better, the younger one was able to drive it today but he tend to use the TX with a "shooting" motion with his finger which makes the car jump/nervous.
2) reduced the punch level to 1.
3) used the 50% TH limit on the DX3.

Those 3 option above are great, it helps. It is getting better but I would like to go even slower.

Questions:
1) I am thinking of changing the pinion (stock is 18T). There is a 20T in the box but it will make it worse. Do you have any recommendation what I should use and where to source it (reference)?
2) any other option? Something that would be easy to swap between both driving capability (me and my son) on the field.

(driving this thing is sooooooo much fun, I can not tell which one is having more fun between me and my two sons). Best Christmas present (after a 10 year RC hobby break!)

This forum is awsome!
Go Aarma,
-Mathieu

Not sure how much of an option this is for you, but I'd probably get them going with a 550 Mega brushed rig for now. They're a lot more tame than the BLX models, relatively cheaper to replace motor/esc if something were to break, and are great platforms to start out on for younger kids. That's just my .02 Best of luck to you & your boys 😎

Sounds like one son drives a little better than perhaps the youngest one? Really its just going to be about finger control. Brushless motors are fast. A smaller pinion should slow down top speed somewhat.Sounds like you've done what you can do within your limits. Perhaps a brushed rc for the 2 boys will be slower and then they can develop skill and run with Dad. Finally, is the field where you run large enough to prevent them from running into things causing damage? I'm sure others will have better ideas, just trying to help. Have fun with your sons!

Hi Guys,

Newby here, I am trying to slow down a Vorteks 3S BLX for my sons. Below are the things I have tried but are looking for more options.

1) went to 2s and it is getting better, the younger one was able to drive it today but he tend to use the TX with a "shooting" motion with his finger which makes the car jump/nervous.

Those 3 option above are great, it helps. It is getting better but I would like to go even slower.

Questions:
1) I am thinking of changing the pinion (stock is 18T). There is a 20T in the box but it will make it worse. Do you have any recommendation what I should use and where to source it (reference)?
2) any other option? Something that would be easy to swap between both driving capability (me and my son) on the field.

(driving this thing is sooooooo much fun, I can not tell which one is having more fun between me and my two sons). Best Christmas present (after a 10 year RC hobby break!)

This forum is awsome!
Go Aarma,
-Mathieu
Doesn't that transmitter have a switch on top that says 50-75-100. That's throttle percentage. I put it on 50 for my 7 yr old grandson.
Doesn't that transmitter have a switch on top that says 50-75-100. That's throttle percentage. I put it on 50 for my 7 yr old grandson.

He's at 50% per his post.

Hi Guys,

Questions:

This forum is awsome!
Go Aarma,
-Mathieu
You may have to wait awhile for more responses. Almost positive no one has ever asked or even had this problem before. 🤔 :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Toss a 15t pinion in it, that will definitely slow it down further..

You will need a mod .8 5mm bore 15t pinion.. I'd suggest a hardened one by Robinson racing.. probably pretty available on Amazon, eBay, local hobby shop, etc..

A DumboRC transmitter/receiver combo may be an option. It has a turn knob for throttle power ranging from 0-100%. Only takes a second or two to adjust it👍.
Put some tape over the cover, because as soon your son finds that button…😂.
For one or two bucks more always get the receiver with the gyro function (also turn knob adjustable between 0-100%).

When i bought my son his 3s granite (at 4 years old), I first started it off with an 11t pinion and 2s on 50% power. For the 11t pinion, traxxas part TRA5641 did the trick and can be had for cheap. I did that and it was great for slowing down the truck while keeping lower speed torque. Then you can up the % power on the transmitter as skill level increases.

Then later you can still up to a 3s battery and play with the % power again. Perfect setup for beginners.

other sizes of pinions available too:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxa...ear-w-5mm-bore-11t-tra5641/p1252743?v=1252743

Hi Guys,

Questions:

This forum is awsome!
Go Aarma,
-Mathieu
One way would be to add weight.as soon as you start adding aluminum parts to it speed drops. But on a less expensive note did you try lowering the punch level? And setting the throttle rate down?

One way would be to add weight.as soon as you start adding aluminum parts to it speed drops. But on a less expensive note did you try lowering the punch level? And setting the throttle rate down?
Per his post, Yes to both.

Nvm didn't read your whole post..so you have done everything except adding weight which I don't recommend unless your looking to upgrade parts to aluminum.im honestly out of ideas .. transmitter is a digital proportional so show your son to ease into the throttle.ik my kids there is no teaching them what ease into it means .they just have heavy fingers and a bit of trigger happy...like there dad 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Nvm didn't read your whole post..so you have done everything except adding weight which I don't recommend unless your looking to upgrade parts to aluminum.im honestly out of ideas .. transmitter is a digital proportional so show your son to ease into the throttle.ik my kids there is no teaching them what ease into it means .they just have heavy fingers and a bit of trigger happy...like there dad 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I have this tendency to show up late to threads or not reading the whole post and jumping into something that's been answered already 🤣🤣🤣my apologies.don't mind me .just got out of work and I'm tired 🤟😁👍

Hi Guys,

Questions:

This forum is awsome!
Go Aarma,
-Mathieu
Just get a brushed motor and esc and be done with it. ONce you guys ramp up which will be soon throw the brushless back in it. Putting in a smaller pinion gear will get it slower but it will have more torque but that may help also. try like a 14tooth.

Does the SLT3 have throttle EPA? I know it has steering EPA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back