How to stop the hippity hop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig72

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Nero
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
Hey gang,

Got a question about two of my rigs. I use my v3 Talion and Kraton EXB for some occasional jumping (along with regular bashing). I've noticed (more so with the Kraton) that even on good landings, I'll sometimes get such rebound on the suspension that it will cause the rear to bounce so much that it flips the car over. Is there a way to adjust the suspension to help control this a bit?
I appreciate the help!

Hey gang,

Got a question about two of my rigs. I use my v3 Talion and Kraton EXB for some occasional jumping (along with regular bashing). I've noticed (more so with the Kraton) that even on good landings, I'll sometimes get such rebound on the suspension that it will cause the rear to bounce so much that it flips the car over. Is there a way to adjust the suspension to help control this a bit?
I appreciate the help!
Have you tried thicker shock fluid?

Hey gang,

I appreciate the help!

If you push the rear of any RC down to the ground as hard and as fast as possible, NOTHING pops back up off the ground. Tire bounce from a decent height landing coupled with shock oils that are too heavy is what's flipping it over. Heavier oils won't let the shocks compress fast enough for your landings and now you've created tire bounce. For this fix you'll need lighter shock oil. Nothing is going to work perfectly if your landing big air onto a flat surface.

I have this issue with my Typhon 3s that has Mojave front shocks and OC6s front shocks, the shock oil is too thick in the rear.

If you push the rear of any RC down to the ground as hard and as fast as possible, NOTHING pops back up off the ground. Tire bounce from a decent height landing coupled with shock oils that are too heavy is what's flipping it over. Heavier oils won't let the shocks compress fast enough for your landings and now you've created tire bounce. For this fix you'll need lighter shock oil. Nothing is going to work perfectly if your landing big air onto a flat surface.
Guess that makes some sense. But I feel like no matter what the tires and shocks are going to compress anyways so thicker fluid slows the compression by a little so it softens the chassis slap and then slows the rebound down to avoid some of the bounce. No matter what fluid you have your tires are going to compress from decent sized jumps. I understand little jumps and bumps and stuff thicker fluid will cause bouncing

Possibly change out the pistons or experiment with different oil weights. Maybe both. You want a little chassis slap for full compression and then controlled rebound. Could also be spring tension. If the springs are too tight they will rebound hard rather than back to neutral. You should be able to drop it from shoulder height and have it rebound back to even or just a slight upward tilt in the arms. This would be with the battery weight in the truck.

Possibly change out the pistons or experiment with different oil weights. Maybe both. You want a little chassis slap for full compression and then controlled rebound. Could also be spring tension. If the springs are too tight they will rebound hard rather than back to neutral. You should be able to drop it from shoulder height and have it rebound back to even or just a slight upward tilt in the arms. This would be with the battery weight in the truck.
Yeah, I get good flat chassis slap, but then the rear will sometimes hop and cause it to go ass-over-a-arms, which is annoying.

Before you go changing your oil, getting emulsion caps, etc., try adding more spring preload to the rear shocks and I'm sure you'll see a noticeable reduction in bounce back. I disagree with everyone saying it's mainly shock oil. Stiffer springs stop bouncing when landing jumps. Stiffer springs won't cause the car to bounce back higher. Bouncing from landings is due to the chassis hitting and bouncing off the ground, not the force of the springs. Press your RC all the way down, no matter how stiff your springs are, do you really think the rebound can make your RC flip over?

So, to reduce the bounce you have to reduce the chassis slap. Shock oil and pistons help, but reducing compression impact depends much more on spring strength. Trust me, I experimented with so many spring, oil, and piston combinations. I videotaped my jumps, hundreds of them, and reviewed the bounce back. Changing oil and pistons did not make much of a difference. Spring stiffness made ALL the difference. Of course, once you stiffen the springs, you may also want to change your oil to get the right dampening for driving.

Another important tip is the balance between your front and rear shocks. If your back end is bouncing and flipping you over, you need to stiffen up your rear springs (or in some cases, lighten up the front). If your front and back are balanced for jumps, even when you bounce, you bounce more evenly and flip less. When I already had my shock setup pretty dialed, I noticed in my videos that my rear still tended to bounce more and was occasionally flipping me over. A single turn more preload on my rear springs made the difference.

Note: the best landing setup is not necessarily the best driving setup. My springs are stiffer than an ideal driving setup. Also, my balance of stiffness is heavier in the rear than an ideal driving setup. Your best setup should balance your priority between landing jumps and on-ground driving performance.

I also have emulsion caps, but I can't say how much of a difference they make, because I've had them from day one of my shock upgrade. But they are supposed to reduce bounce back from jumps. That's why I got them.

One final tip. No matter what your shock setup, if you land front wheels first, the back bounces more. If you land back wheels first, the front bounces more. If you backflip, the rear is coming down with more force and can bounce more (unless you stop the rotation before landing). No shock setup can save you from hard uneven landings. You can't land perfectly on all 4 wheels all the time, but the closer you are, the less likely you are to bounce and flip over.

Last edited:
Is it ok to have some chasis slap on my Outcast 6s EXB when doing 6-8 ft jumps? Or do I need stiffer springs/heavier oils?

Some chassis slap is fine. Any setup will chassis slap from 6-8 feet. You want some chassis slap rather than letting the shocks take 100% of the impact. However, once the chassis starts slapping too hard, it can bounce you over even when you land right. Stiffening shocks doesn't eliminate chassis slap, it reduces how hard. If you're bouncing out of too many landings, stiffening the shocks will help.

Me personally, I don't care if the chassis slaps but I want the car to keep all 4 tires in the ground after the jump regardless of the height. My car performed better with the ride height just about level, increasing it for better jumping hurt my handling. But I'm into performance.

If you were trying for record jumps then to hell will handling then you can focus on never touching the ground.

Some chassis slap is fine. Any setup will chassis slap from 6-8 feet. You want some chassis slap rather than letting the shocks take 100% of the impact. However, once the chassis starts slapping too hard, it can bounce you over even when you land right. Stiffening shocks doesn't eliminate chassis slap, it reduces how hard. If you're bouncing out of too many landings, stiffening the shocks will help.
Thank you.
If you were trying for record jumps then to hell will handling then you can focus on never touching the ground.
Not there yet!
Thank you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back