How to store a LiPo battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulybatz

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
What type of cases do you use???

I saw one that holds a few batteries. Then thought if one went. There goes all your batteries.

Also do these things spontaneously go or just during charging and use?

If they're in storage voltage, is there a worry???

I store my lipos in small ammo cans, they are pretty cheap. I try not to store them all in one can. If one catches fire they will all go so I use a couple small 30caliber us surplus cans which will hold 3 or 4 big lipos. They run around $5-10 and can be found either on the net or locally at an army/navy store. I can’t see those fiberglass lipo bags being better and they are around the same price. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...plus-m19a1-30-caliber-ammo-can-used?a=1586609
I’ve never had any fires thankfully but others have so maybe they will chime in.
Edit, I think my cans are a little taller than the one in the link. Mine say 250 cartridges where these are only 200. They come in all shapes and sizes and are cheap, just make sure the ones you order are metal.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Safety first

20181203_081040.jpg

I store my lipos in small ammo cans, they are pretty cheap. I try not to store them all in one can. If one catches fire they will all go so I use a couple small 30caliber us surplus cans which will hold 3 or 4 big lipos. They run around $5-10 and can be found either on the net or locally at an army/navy store. I can’t see those fiberglass lipo bags being better and they are around the same price. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...plus-m19a1-30-caliber-ammo-can-used?a=1586609
I’ve never had any fires thankfully but others have so maybe they will chime in.
Edit, I think my cans are a little taller than the one in the link. Mine say 250 cartridges where these are only 200. They come in all shapes and sizes and are cheap, just make sure the ones you order are metal.
I have thrown these away shoot!

The best solution, although definitely not the cheapest is the Bat-Safe. http://www.bat-safe.com/web/

I just use the Ammo cans they sell at Harbor Freight, buy them when they are on sale and use the 20% off coupon. https://www.harborfreight.com/50-cal-metal-ammo-can-63181.html

Lipos 99.9% of the time will either go up while being charged or while being used.

They are not cheap but in the perspective of an insurance policy they are. I would advice everybody to charge lipo's in these batsafes and put them on a non flammable surface, like some old floor tiles.
I know the chance of an explosion is one in a million but for me it's like a seatbelt.

Hobbyking sells the batsafes.

The best solution, although definitely not the cheapest is the Bat-Safe. http://www.bat-safe.com/web/
Interesting. That's the first time I've heard about these. Why do you believe these are the best solution?

@paulybatz - I would recommend going to your local Army surplus store (if you have one) and pick up a used metal ammo box. These can usually be bought from a surplus store for around $10.

If you don't have an Army surplus store you can get them online.

I would then drill 2-3 small holes into the top and sides of the box. For charging, I would also recommend getting a large LiPo bag.

Together, this would keep you and your batteries protected while they are being stored and while they are being charged. With much less fear of burning your house, garage, or shed down.

Interesting. That's the first time I've heard about these. Why do you believe these are the best solution?

@paulybatz - I would recommend going to your local Army surplus store (if you have one) and pick up a used metal ammo box. These can usually be bought from a surplus store for around $10.

If you don't have an Army surplus store you can get them online.

I would then drill 2-3 small holes into the top and sides of the box. For charging, I would also recommend getting a large LiPo bag.

Together, this would keep you and your batteries protected while they are being stored and while they are being charged. With much less fear of burning your house, garage, or shed down.

This guy's ammo box got up around 1000*F Idk about you but I think that is just as dangerous as the lipo battery going up.

After watching this I want to find part 1 and part 3.

This guy's ammo box got up around 1000*F Idk about you but I think that is just as dangerous as the lipo battery going up.

I truly don't know anything about bat-safe so that's the only reason I'm asking, I'm not trying to second guess anyone here.

I'd love to actually see more information about this test, like what battery they used, size, etc and how did they measure the temperature of 1000F degrees.

Here are a couple videos testing the ammo box method. The first one they loaded up with several RC LiPo packs and the box only reached a temp of around 250F

This one does various tests, many with ammo boxes. The test setup consists of a wood floor and walls around in the ammo box. The best result was test #4 with the ammo box closed and lid seal removed.

The Bat-Save may very well be the best option. I wish their website would actually did more to tell about their product and less showing the extreme fires of LiPo batteries. Yes, I know LiPo fires are very dangerous, but show me why your product will protect me. But I digress.

That said I do keep my ammo box in my garage, which has a concrete floor. The ammo box also rests in front of a very large commercial safe. Regardless of using an ammo box or a bat-safe, I wouldn't store either around flammable items, but that's just me.

I truly don't know anything about bat-safe so that's the only reason I'm asking, I'm not trying to second guess anyone here.

I'd love to actually see more information about this test, like what battery they used, size, etc and how did they measure the temperature of 1000F degrees.

Here are a couple videos testing the ammo box method. The first one they loaded up with several RC LiPo packs and the box only reached a temp of around 250F

This one does various tests, many with ammo boxes. The test setup consists of a wood floor and walls around in the ammo box. The best result was test #4 with the ammo box closed and lid seal removed.

The Bat-Save may very well be the best option. I wish their website would actually did more to tell about their product and less showing the extreme fires of LiPo batteries. Yes, I know LiPo fires are very dangerous, but show me why your product will protect me. But I digress.

That said I do keep my ammo box in my garage, which has a concrete floor. The ammo box also rests in front of a very large commercial safe. Regardless of using an ammo box or a bat-safe, I wouldn't store either around flammable items, but that's just me.

Were those drill batteries he stuck in there?
-edit- I watched the last video they are batteries from an ebike. And those batteries have a boat load more energy than lipos do. So that might explain why he got 1000* F on the ammo can.

I meant the best solution that I have found. Watching the end of the one video I posted he shows a commercial grade box, I didn't look into it yet but I bet it's $$$$.
-edit- I found 2, a large sized one and a small one, on a quick Google search. The large one costs $407.95 +tax +$30 for shipping. The small one is $83.70 +$67.60 for shipping.........

And you definitely need something more than a lipo bag for these larger batteries.
This is what a 2200mah 2s lipo does to a lipo bag. Imagine what a 5000mah 6s battery would do.
Also idk why but I find these types of videos very interesting to watch. I'm trying to see if I can find a video of an ammo can actually exploding too.

Last edited:
Can the lipos be dangerous just sitting there in storage?
Not unless they get damaged. Like I said previously the only times I have seen a lipo go up was either while being charged or while being used. However I would not just leave them laying around.

Last edited:
@slick2500 I agree with you entirely. A LiPo bag should certainly not be someone's one and only protection. Given a big enough battery, even those will fail.

I'm going to do more digging on the Bat-Safe as I genuinely would like to know more about the product.

This thread did get me thinking. Started wondering how to further improve the ammo box and thought about using cement board as liner.

Looked on Youtube and it seems I'm not the only one with that idea...

I like how they've cut it to create cubby holes for storage. I'm thinking about getting another ammo can and outfitting one for storage as in the video and a second one without the middle section and use it for a charging box.

@WoodiE
https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/bat-safe-lipo-battery-charging-safe-box.html

It also filters (some) of the toxic smoke and heat. The walls are really thick.
On these pictures you see 2x 6s 5000mAh's and it can hold a 300w dual charger:

View attachment 24738
View attachment 24739
View attachment 24740
Isn't the bat safe only rated for 1 6s 5000mah battery?

-edit- never mind I misread that part on their website. I agree with Woody their website isn't really that great.

Can the lipos be dangerous just sitting there in storage?

The worst that can happen is they can swell up a bit, which means time to toss them.
Just make sure your charger has a storage charge feature. Some people use it when they won't be using their batteries for some time. I honestly do it with mine after every day I use them and have had no swelled/puffed packs, even on Traxxas batteries which everyone complains about them doing.

@slick2500 I agree with you entirely. A LiPo bag should certainly not be someone's one and only protection. Given a big enough battery, even those will fail.

I'm going to do more digging on the Bat-Safe as I genuinely would like to know more about the product.

This thread did get me thinking. Started wondering how to further improve the ammo box and thought about using cement board as liner.

Looked on Youtube and it seems I'm not the only one with that idea...

I like how they've cut it to create cubby holes for storage. I'm thinking about getting another ammo can and outfitting one for storage as in the video and a second one without the middle section and use it for a charging box.
I found this video from the Rajucam guy testing the Bat-Safe. Not sure why he stuck a 16,000mah 6s lipo in there though...............

Isn't the bat safe only rated for 1 6s 5000mah battery?

-edit- never mind I misread that part on their website. I agree with Woody their website isn't really that great.
I thought the manual says max 10000mAh.
Offcourse everything has it's limits but this is the safest way of charging lipo's i could find.
Also have temp sensors from the charger into the box. I just won't wait for this:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back