How to store a LiPo battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oke so i went and got 2 ammo boxes for €10 each. Pulled the rubber gasket out on all sides except where it closes so it still closes nicely and the pressure can escape if things go south.

Gonna convert 1 into a charging box by making some holes to run the cables trough and keep the other for storage.
I saw adding drywall around it helps a bit if fire happens. May do this myself.

Not drywall....
Really it is Cement Board you are referring to. It is fire resistant. Very heavy too. Being of cement. Usually used in Bathrooms as a tile backer. Or used in the walls of a fire rated Boiler room in a house. It is City code to do this here.
I have a table that I placed large pieces of Marble or Ceramic Tile on. Tile also works. THD had individual large pieces of them. For my charging table.
Should help with heat transfer from the metal crate but as long as you don't put in on or near flameable stuff i don't think it is necessary.
Have an ABC fire extinguisher nearby at all times. In case other combustibles nearby catch fire. But remember, an extinguisher won't necessarilly put out the Lipo itself!! A Nitrogen Extinguisher, might work better on a lipo. I also have one of those. An ABC Exting. will probably do nothing at all. Save that for other things nearby that may catch fire. Need to have a fire plan in place, And be ready to react fast. That's all.
It feeds itself until Lipo is exhausted, then stops. Govern yourself accordingly. Always keep other lipos away from the charging ones. They can and will also ignite. Store lipos in your Ammo box(s).

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...rick-never-let-your-guard-down-or-else.57989/

Last edited:
Hi

Here is what I am planing on using for storing lipo's, it's not done yet but it will resist temps up to 2600 degrees Fahrenheit. I still got to order more kaowool to finish the top and to line the insiders of the ammo cans and the tin that is going in the empty square spot. I am also going to use fire brick as dividers in the ammo cans.

IMG_5738.JPG

IMG_5740.JPG

IMG_5742.JPG

Actually, Tile backer/Cement board, used primarily in bathrooms, is way more Fire resistant, and not so much Sheet rock. ( AKA drywall)
Cement Board is even used to wall up Boiler rooms per Building Codes in some areas. . And there is even a Fire rated variant of this. Rather expensive.

Actually, Tile backer/Cement board, used primarily in bathrooms, is way more Fire resistant, and not so much Sheet rock. ( AKA drywall)
Cement Board is even used to wall up Boiler rooms per Building Codes in some areas. . And there is even a Fire rated variant of this. Rather expensive.
Haven't done nothing yet. Just a seal less ammo box. And a lot of praying

Hi

Has anyone checked out this video Lipo Bag Tests - Round 1

I watched a few minutes of it and saw a couple flaws in his test, 1 he didn't use batteries and a lipo battery will burn for a lot longer than the fuse so the bags would actually fair much worse in the real world.

What about the toxic smoke? Smoke can do as much damage as a fire as it will get into everything it touches and you can't get it out. Especially if multiple batteries kept in a single box and one ignites, the whole box will eventually burn. If multiple boxes are kept next to each other, well then there is a long lasting bon fire.
I still say a cheap metal BarBQ out in the back yard (weather permitting) is the best protection against fire and smoke.

Hi

Current progress on my DIY LIPO storage box, all that's left to do is cut the fire bricks for dividers and line the little black box that will be used for charging. I will be storing 2s and 3s packs.

IMG_5761.JPG

IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5763.JPG

Has anyone used one of these flame resistant cabinets off Amazon? They're not overly expensive, currently I store my lipos in ammo cans near floor level on a metal shelf away from anything combustible but thinking a smaller cabinet like this would be more ideal.

images (5).jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back