How to store a LiPo battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got me beat! Lol
Insurance can be expensive until you need it. Can't play with fire dude. Got to respect the technology or it won't respect you.
20190423_144013.jpg

IKR? I figured if they do explode at least the cast iron stove can handle the heat and smoke will be vented out. The real challenge was trying to explain the concept to my wife...who still thinks I'm crazy for playing with toys that could explode;).
You are not alone. My wife says the exact thing to me. Lol

Can the lipos be dangerous just sitting there in storage?
A slow discharge down to zero volts will prevent a castrohy. But never bring down a lipo that low until you want to discard it. A lipo has more propensity to explode if it is fully charged. That's why they are more dangerous while charging. But a breached outer heatshrink can cause a fire just sitting unconnected. When oxygen hits lithium polymer it ignites. How much force always depends on the size and how much voltage it contains.

Lithium fires can cut through metal like a plasma torch.

I don't understand the batsafe box. Yes it's probably lighter then what I use but it's very expensive for what it is. You can easily make a box out of flat stone... Of course concrete is the cheapest. Easy is the half cider block with a top and bottom... Probably under $3 for everything.
I use something more portable and because I already had it and some of you might too. If not it's $20
Cash safe. It's built for fires. I charge batteries in there and keep them there for storage. I keep top adjar just slightly

Great small safe alternative. 10 x better and safer than a battery sack or bag. Those soft fiberglass bags aren't really any safer with large basher 6S packs. A fire safe for the same price. I seen them at the Home Depot. I have 1 large Batsafefor charging and storage. And I need more storage . My lipo collection is too large. I could probably toss a few old ones. Thanks for the advice.

Great small safe alternative. 10 x better and safer than a battery sack or bag. Those soft fiberglass bags aren't really any safer with large basher 6S packs. A fire safe for the same price. I seen them at the Home Depot. I have 1 large Batsafefor charging and storage. And I need more storage . My lipo collection is too large. I could probably toss a few old ones. Thanks for the advice.
Ya I'm not sure about the lipo fire bags but I bought a set on recommendation and later learned they just stall the fire... Wtf is the point of that?
I still use it. I actually put them in the bags, then they go into the fire safe. I might be paranoid but I don't trust lipos or snakes. Sooner or later one might jump out and get you

Ya I'm not sure about the lipo fire bags but I bought a set on recommendation and later learned they just stall the fire... Wtf is the point of that?
I still use it. I actually put them in the bags, then they go into the fire safe. I might be paranoid but I don't trust lipos or snakes. Sooner or later one might jump out and get you
I witnessed a drone 3S lipo fire once. And that was only a small 1300 mah. A Total loss when it's over. You can only sit and watch till it goes out on its own. Enjoy the fireworks. It truly looks like it. Got to respect it.

all my batteries are in Lipo bags and kept in ammo cans. I don't buy soft packs, only hard
Add some sheet rock or cement board to the inside of your ammo box and you'll never have to worry about the box getting so hot that it catches things around it on fire.
There's also another cool trick I've seen... Take a plastic zip lock bag full of sand and hang it or place it over battery. If a fire starts, plastic melts and put out the fire automatically!! Just figure u pass on the cool safety tips

There's also another cool trick I've seen... Take a plastic zip lock bag full of sand and hang it or place it over battery. If a fire starts, plastic melts and put out the fire automatically!! Just figure u pass on the cool safety tips

That is just pure genius ???

This has been an interesting thread. Some good info.

Great idea - and I think I will start doing this.

Now for the questions:
Up until now, I've always let the batteries cool down and then fully charge, followed by storing in a container. In all these years, never a problem (luck I guess? knock wood). As a 'bonus', when I was ready to play, they were charged and ready to go.

Based on what I'm seeing, you storage charge them after playing? How long does it take to fully charge them from a storage charge?

Yes storage charge when putting them away, not fully charge. As for how long to the fully charge? I can’t recall as i’m Usually doing other things an dpay little attention to the time. At a guess I would say 20min’ish depending on the battery but I really can’t recall, but not long

Well, that will depend on your charging current. Say half an hour. But it's safer and better for the packs' longevity to keep them at storage voltage.

This was in another thread too - but while we're discussing, when do you 'balance' charge?

Charging current, I try to do mah / 1000 - 5000mah @ 5amps. 4000 @ 4 amps.

To keep my packs safe while stored at the garage..

I bought a flat metal toolbox..
Lined the bottom and 4 sides with "Fermacell" wich is a 60mins fire proof drywall sheet..
Than i created some compartments within the box that hold 1 pack each.. Did that by putting up walls out of Fermacell.. All seams and walls are held together by a 60mins fireproof glue..
And to finish everything up.. I build a box out of Fermacell that goes on top.. The bottomside has 4 (taped up) holes for every compartment.. And is filled with those fire extinguishing balls..

The idea.. If a LiPo catches fire.. The fire will melt the tape and those balls fill the compartment wich the fire is in to extinguish..

The whole thing.. Well, it never leaves the garage.. Cause its to heavy to carry around..

But than again.. Its made to keep my house from burning down if its ever gonna get ugly!

---

For charging..

I use open top small boxes.. Made out of fermacell.. And only fit one pack each..
Connect the leads.. They come out of the box from the top.. And than just put a plastic bag of those balls on top..
And still.. I always make sure to stay close while they charge..

This has been an interesting thread. Some good info.

Great idea - and I think I will start doing this.

Now for the questions:
Up until now, I've always let the batteries cool down and then fully charge, followed by storing in a container. In all these years, never a problem (luck I guess? knock wood). As a 'bonus', when I was ready to play, they were charged and ready to go.

Based on what I'm seeing, you storage charge them after playing? How long does it take to fully charge them from a storage charge?
If your charger can provide the required amount for that specific mah rating, I find aprox. 45 minutes charge time is average. Charging from 3.8 storage volts to 4.2 full charge volts. Never fully charge Lipos and store them when finished bashing. Most importantly because Lipos are volatile in their full charged state. Also, you will shorten the amount of usable cycles in that battery's life span.:)

If your charger can provide the required amount for that specific mah rating, I find aprox. 45 minutes charge time is average. Charging from 3.8 storage volts to 4.2 full charge volts. Never fully charge Lipos and store them when finished bashing. Most importantly because Lipos are volatile in their full charged state. Also, you will shorten the amount of usable cycles in that battery's life span.:)
I'm hearing you and I'm changing the way's I'm storing them (based on the comments posted). That said, I've been doing this for like 10 years with no issues.

I have 4 LiPo's that are going into the light. After draining them (via light bulb and DC motor), are they safe to go in the trash? I normally turn them in to a battery recycler - and these will most likely go there also - but could they be tossed in the trash?

Last edited:
Depends where you live for recycle purposes. But technically, lipos are not toxic or dangerous when discharged. Unlike nicads and nimh which are toxic to landfills .After you discharge using your method. Measure voltage one last time. Should be close to zero v. Then you dead short the pos. and negative to remove the last bit of v. left . Cut the leads off and put in trash or wherever you feel it is appropriate. Some areas just deem lipo toxic. But it is not compared to many other items that are but don't get recycled. Lipo recycling is done to make revenue and thus is sold to those that can turn a profit on it. We are always taught to be eco concious, but that philosophy is flawed greatly. Just my personal thoughts on that.:giggle:

Last edited:
I store mine in their own lipo bag then into a fire safe.

Attachments

• 15732696972371651725371219413643.jpg
    15732696972371651725371219413643.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 1573269722902596287670907103622.jpg
    1573269722902596287670907103622.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 55
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back