How to store a LiPo battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the discharger is a bad idea I appreciate your guys help I am picking the car up and discharging them tomorrow all they was doing is installing Speedo and heat sensor I will just bring it home thanks again
No you can use the discharger, I was talking about the discharge capability of your current charger.

No you can use the discharger, I was talking about the discharge capability of your current charger.
Ah ok so I will purchase that discharger I will take it out in the middle of the shed and try it out see what happens in a cement block

Crap happens, and we all go through having a set of charged lipos, due to a downed rig out the gate. Been there. Just discharge the packs to 3.85v per cell with charger. Your charger can do this. And just wait it out. May take 3 hours each pack doing the same . Just accept that. No big deal. I would also read up on LiPo Storage, the why's and hows. But leaving fully charged Lipo's fully charged for several days to a week or more will noticeably affect the packs longeveity. IR's will suffer across cells. Will take forever to balance, and will cause spikes in the discharge curve. Cells puffing/expanding means it's basically a fried pack. Been there. I currently have 17 lipos of all flavors and sizes out of approx 25 packs purchased. Lipo Technology has brought RC to the next level, but it is treated differently, and must be respected. Knowledge. Govern yourself accordingly.Be safe. :cool:

A rapid high rate discharge poses more risk versus a slow rate when discharging on the bench. Why is speed of discharge so important? Its nice to have a dedicated discharge device in your toolbox, but it is infrequent that you may need it. Slow rate discharges give the lipos more longevity. Keeping them balanced is more important. Your charger has you covered. Just some food for thought.

Ok I just dove into this hobby head first without completely understanding all the information presented in this thread. Yikes, now I am afraid!! I got into RC for my son who's 11, I now have three RCs 3s and 6s, two of each. Should I invest in Bat safe for these? I have not put them on a charger yet so I assume they are safe for now but I want peace of mind. My family and home is worth way more than what it will cost to secure these things if they are ticking time bombs. Sheesh, now I am having second thoughts and I have $1500 worth of cars sitting in front of me. ?

No need to freak out but also good to be cautious.

Keep them in an environment where they are ok if stuff does go bad. Garage is ok but keep them away from flammable etc. Fairly common sense prevention will do lots. Educate yourself a little on safe storage, sitting on tile and inside a ammo can do wonders but it will not address any smoke if things go sideways.
Bat safe seem to be the ultimate in storage and address the smoke concern, just pricey.
Lipo's are safe, had them for ~7+ years, but if things go wrong they will go quickly.

Lipo bags are useless for these high power versions, they are ok for small ones (2S 500mAh type).
I keep mine on the patio in our grill. I never had issues but I know how to treat them properly.
You do not have to worry about outdoor temps (freezing is ok), just ensure that you never use them unless they are at ambient temps.

No need to freak out but also good to be cautious.

Keep them in an environment where they are ok if stuff does go bad. Garage is ok but keep them away from flammable etc. Fairly common sense prevention will do lots. Educate yourself a little on safe storage, sitting on tile and inside a ammo can do wonders but it will not address any smoke if things go sideways.
Bat safe seem to be the ultimate in storage and address the smoke concern, just pricey.
Lipo's are safe, had them for ~7+ years, but if things go wrong they will go quickly.

Lipo bags are useless for these high power versions, they are ok for small ones (2S 500mAh type).
I keep mine on the patio in our grill. I never had issues but I know how to treat them properly.
You do not have to worry about outdoor temps (freezing is ok), just ensure that you never use them unless they are at ambient temps.

So I was thinking I'd take the plunge on the Bat Safes and keep them in my office in the house in a metal filing cabinet. There is a Nest protect smoke detector in that room too so I'd be notified anywhere via text (God forbid) if anything happened. So you keep yours outside all the time? I live in Charlotte NC so it get's hotter than hell outside in this area and my grill is in full sun. Thats a great idea though overall.

Yes, I'm in FL and my grill is in full sun as well. No issues.
Batsafe will do, biggest issue inside the house will be the smell if something goes wrong and you are safe from a fire standpoint.

Yes, I'm in FL and my grill is in full sun as well. No issues.
Batsafe will do, biggest issue inside the house will be the smell if something goes wrong and you are safe from a fire standpoint.

yeah I agree...Smoke damage would be the only potential hazard left at that point...i have a gun safe with a 30 minute fire rating. Thing there is I'd have to move my ammo out and if they went up in smoke it would take my guns with it. ?

Where do you guys charge your batteries? I am charging mine in my office at the moment and wonder if that's a bad idea. lol. Completely paranoid I know..

IMG_2693.jpg

Ok I just dove into this hobby head first without completely understanding all the information presented in this thread. Yikes, now I am afraid!! I got into RC for my son who's 11, I now have three RCs 3s and 6s, two of each. Should I invest in Bat safe for these? I have not put them on a charger yet so I assume they are safe for now but I want peace of mind. My family and home is worth way more than what it will cost to secure these things if they are ticking time bombs. Sheesh, now I am having second thoughts and I have $1500 worth of cars sitting in front of me. ?
Damm, I have $1500. worth of lipos.... I have the Med Bat safe. I don't always use it when I am watching the packs. I never walk away however. My lipos are generally stored in my Bat safe. And never stored fully charged. Once I charge my packs they are volitile and get used and don't sit around for long. don't be afraid. Learn and respect the power they have. Thats all. :cool:

Guys, the best best place to store lipos is in a flower pot. The flames come out no matter what you use, but a flower pot will keep them in a safe spot. Lipo bags and ammo boxes are false security at best. Lipos don't just catch on fire for no reason. I see people posting other wise but there just trying to keep from getting in trouble with there wife or insurance company. Best practice is to charge on a fire proof surface. By that I mean using a 18" tile from HD if you don't have a metal table. The flames will only go so far, maybe 6 to 12" so charge on a surface away from from anything that can catch fire. If you plan for the worst, it wont happen. My lipos are 2' from the wall and on tiles in case they do catch fire. Always use your balance plug because that is how the good chargers know to stop charging if there is a problem. I own a lipo battery business and this is what I tell my customers. If you guys have any question I would be happy to answer them.

If storing them in a sealed metal ammo box, remove the seal. Or the box can become a potential pipe bomb. More so with several large 6s packs in them.
The box needs to be vented. And away from combustibles, by several feet as a safety margin. A Fire extinguisher handy nearby for anything that could catch fire around it.

You can build a safe area by using tiles set around on your bench and next to the wall so if the pack catches on fire, nothing else can burn. They do make some white smoke but it clears out pretty good. If you have a damaged pack, get rid of it. If it has an internal short, it will eventually start a fire. it's not worth it to keep it around. If you do have a bad pack, it will show as a low voltage cell. If your charger can't bring it up to balance, get rid of it. The best way to dispose of an old pack is to discharge it on your charger down to 3,00 volts or less. At that voltage the fire danger is reduced to a save level and the pack can be discarded. I cut off the wires next to the pack so they can never touch just to be save. Everybody has there way of keeping there packs, but you just have to be smarter than the battery and you will be all right.

^^^(y)
Alternatively, a cheaper solution is to use Cement Board (not to be confused with sheetrock) instead of tile. Another option.

My hobby guy suggested the double up ammo can method using these .30 & .50 cal cans. Will soon be adding a small gang box to the arsenal to stow the ammo cans in. Can never be too safe when it comes to safety, that's what i always say...
bats006rs.jpg

bats005rs.jpg

bats004rs.jpg

bats002rs.jpg

bats001rs.jpg

Make sure to take out the rubber seals in the lids.
Single can is more than sufficient, doubling up won't do anything. The Lipo bags are just decoration. Don't waste your money on those unless you have very small Lipos. I use them for my 300mAh types.
I do use mine to transport just because I have them but they are as useful as paperbags.

Hello!
This is my first post, and after almost 11 years of stop, I would like to be back with a new 1/10 model.
Prior to start I want to buy a new charger and lipo, and to have everything clear I was having a look at this topic as well...
Is the imax b6 safe? Or is it "obsolete".

Regarding the batteries, I thought to buy a can storing it inside, at home. Is it enough if I'm not at home (away or on holiday)?
I could store the can outside, but here is always below the 0C... I read around it is not "healthy" for the battery or even dangerous for the chemicals that can became "unstable", causing short-circuit...

Any advices? I want to enjoy this hobby without being worried too much, or being paranoid...

P.s.: apologies for my English, this is not my main language.

Many thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back