How to store a LiPo battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure to take out the rubber seals in the lids.
Single can is more than sufficient, doubling up won't do anything. The Lipo bags are just decoration. Don't waste your money on those unless you have very small Lipos. I use them for my 300mAh types.
I do use mine to transport just because I have them but they are as useful as paperbags.
Right?

This is a 2200mah 2s lipo and it burned through right through the bag. Imagine what a 5000mah 6s would do. They might help give you an extra few seconds to toss the battery out of the door before it completely goes thermal but that is about all they are good for.

@vespino75cc Welcome!

iMAx B6 is old technology but still ok and cheap . It was very low power (60W) i.e. it's definitely not for 6S battery types or you will see very long charge times. For a 3S up to 5000mAh it's ok to use with standard 1C charge rate (deafult).

Storing batteries outside is safe, even down to -50C. Just DO NOT use them and let them warm up to above 10C before using or charging.
Biggest issue below freezing is the plastic surrounding the Lipo, it can become brittle. Handle with care.

Last edited:
@vespino75cc Welcome!

iMAx B6 is old technology but still ok and cheap . It was very low power (60W) i.e. it's definitely not for 6S battery types or you will see very long charge times. For a 3S up to 5000mAh it's ok to use with standard 1C charge rate (deafult).

Storing batteries outside is safe, even down to -50C. Just DO NOT use them and let them warm up to above 10V before using or charging.
Biggest issue below freezing is the plastic surrounding the Lipo, it can become brittle. Handle with care.
If you get a real one they aren't too bad, the problem is that 90% of the ones on eBay, Amazon, Banggood ect are knockoffs.

@vespino75cc Welcome!

Storing batteries outside is safe, even down to -50C. Just DO NOT use them and let them warm up to above 10C before using or charging.
I thought low temperature was not good for the lifespan and efficiency.
Regarding the charger, at this point maybe I'll re-buy everything again...

My intention was to keep everything inside the house in a can, but if the temperature is not a massive problem I would keep it in the yard.
The thing is, these days I've got -15C here in UK.

No issues with longevity. They are just unusable and do not charge or use them. Let them warm up to room temp for several hours.
That is a very good news. Thank you.
So I'll definitely put them outside.
At this point I think I refer the "charging temperature" from the manufacturer to understand if the temperature outside is fine to charge them without waiting (in autumn or summer for example).

I keep mine outside year round, done it down to -20F(?) and never had an issue. Currently in FL and it only gets down to 36F. No issue at all.
Like I said, only issue is the actual plastic silvery stuff surrounding the Lipo, it becomes brittle below 32F and gets more sensitive going colder. Just don't pinch it and it will be fine. Outdoor porch in a grill (until grill season starts) is perfect. Keep them out of the weather or direct sunlight, just common sense stuff. Charging only above whatever manufacturer states but 40F or higher should be fine. Using them is the same i.e. Lipo should be above ~60F, if playing in the cold when you start out. It will degrade quickly in the cold but heat itself during use.
Many people kept their Lipos in a freezer for a while, thinking it would increase life expectancy but that is a myth. Does nothing to extend life but doesn't shorten it either.

My hobby guy suggested the double up ammo can method using these .30 & .50 cal cans. Will soon be adding a small gang box to the arsenal to stow the ammo cans in. Can never be too safe when it comes to safety, that's what i always say...
bats006rs.jpg

bats005rs.jpg

bats004rs.jpg

bats002rs.jpg

bats001rs.jpg
Quick update:
Didn't get much sleep last night. While i feel my storage method will pretty much contain most if not all flames in a possible worst case scenario, couldn't help but wonder how much heat would radiate from the metal ammo cans if they did ignite. In a perfect world i'd store the ammo cans away from all my other flammables but until then i've borrowed a piece of sheet rock from my neighbors yard and cut it into several pieces to use as firewalls. Now i just need to get a fireproof slab to sit them on and i think i'll meet or exceed osha standards... 🚭
mold001rs.jpg

mold002cprs.jpg

mold006rs.jpg

mold005rs.jpg

Storage is not the issue as far as I can see. charging after run while the battery is still hot or damaged. these batteries are shipped in plastic and cardboard so its not the storage, its more the usage and charging habits. Yes store them properly but never walk away from them while charging, I charge my batteries 5 to 8 ft from me while I watch TV or on my laptop, if after a using them, they're worm or hot to the touch I simply wait, I've done a lot of waiting around..

This site is awesome! I appreciate the info I glean from reading through threads. I just bought an ammo can myself and will buy more.. I have thought about the Bat Safes but have a hard time with the price. Again it is cheaper than a house. But I appreciate all the knowledge floating about here. I definitely didn't know the LiPo bags were crap. WOW! What misinformation. I bought two and now will only use them for transport. I am also going to fabricate something from cement board to store them in. Glad I joined this forum..

This site is awesome! I appreciate the info I glean from reading through threads. I just bought an ammo can myself and will buy more.. I have thought about the Bat Safes but have a hard time with the price. Again it is cheaper than a house. But I appreciate all the knowledge floating about here. I definitely didn't know the LiPo bags were crap. WOW! What misinformation. I bought two and now will only use them for transport. I am also going to fabricate something from cement board to store them in. Glad I joined this forum..
Don't forget to remove part of the seal from the ammo can.

Hi All, sorry a complete battery noob here. I got my son a new rc car for Xmas. Batteries have been fully discharged in the car but we’ve all got covid now and will be isolating for the foreseeable. I know I have to charge them in the storage setting but I’m a bit confused as to what A I need to set them to. I’ve got an imax b6 mini ( a real one I’ve checked the serial on the website ) and 2x 3s batteries, ones a 7100mah and the other a 5000mah. I’ve started with the 5000mah so set the charger to 5.0A 11.1v(3S) and hit the start button. The timer has started running and the Voltages have all been around 3.85/6 but the charger keeps timing out and stopping on its own after 3 hours. Is this a normal amount of time for the storage cycle ? I don’t want to restart it in case I’m doing something wrong and accidentally putting loads of charge into them ?

Thanks for any advice.

Jim.

Ok, figured out your issue as I was typing, jump to the end, but also some good advice below.
Probably rambling and you have more than one issue.

a) What current to select? Take the 'mAh' number, divide by 1000 and delete the 'h' 5000mAh = 5A for a '1C' charge. You got that one right for the first battery. You can use the same setting for the other instead of 7.1A but will take slightly longer.
b) Charge time is always roughly 30-45 min, pending how depleted the batteries were. 60 min is about the max if you are at a 1C rate and there are no other issues.
c) 3.85V is storage level, charger should turn itself off and shouldn't take longer than 30-60min. If it stays at that level, the charger might have issues balancing the Lipo. No, it won't overcharge and nothing bad happens. You can actually disconnect after ~ 1h and don't wait for it to finish.

My GUESS, you overly depleted the Lipos on your first outing, not healthy for the battery and will impact its ability to balance out and seriously deteriorate lifetime of the cell(s).
Could also be that your charger is poop. Not a friend of those cheap chargers. Next time get one that can measure the internal resistance (IR), you could quickly tell if you have a cell issue by one value being out of whack compared to the other cells.
---
Actually, your charger is not capable of charging your lipos and the 1C rate or at the 5A current.
You have a 50W limit on your charger (Watt=current*voltage) Max current you get for a 3S (~11.1V) is 4.5A no matter what you select.
For the 7100mAh that is ~ 0.6 i.e. the time will almost double to ~ 2h.
If you can, return that charger and get one with minimum 100W per channel if you stay in the 3S world.
Check here,
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/recommend-me-a-battery-charger.1079/page-47

Ok, figured out your issue as I was typing, jump to the end, but also some good advice below.
Probably rambling and you have more than one issue.

a) What current to select? Take the 'mAh' number, divide by 1000 and delete the 'h' 5000mAh = 5A for a '1C' charge. You got that one right for the first battery. You can use the same setting for the other instead of 7.1A but will take slightly longer.
b) Charge time is always roughly 30-45 min, pending how depleted the batteries were. 60 min is about the max if you are at a 1C rate and there are no other issues.
c) 3.85V is storage level, charger should turn itself off and shouldn't take longer than 30-60min. If it stays at that level, the charger might have issues balancing the Lipo. No, it won't overcharge and nothing bad happens. You can actually disconnect after ~ 1h and don't wait for it to finish.

My GUESS, you overly depleted the Lipos on your first outing, not healthy for the battery and will impact its ability to balance out and seriously deteriorate lifetime of the cell(s).
Could also be that your charger is poop. Not a friend of those cheap chargers. Next time get one that can measure the internal resistance (IR), you could quickly tell if you have a cell issue by one value being out of whack compared to the other cells.
---
Actually, your charger is not capable of charging your lipos and the 1C rate or at the 5A current.
You have a 50W limit on your charger (Watt=current*voltage) Max current you get for a 3S (~11.1V) is 4.5A no matter what you select.
For the 7100mAh that is ~ 0.6 i.e. the time will almost double to ~ 2h.
If you can, return that charger and get one with minimum 100W per channel if you stay in the 3S world.
Check here,
Also to note that that charger is limited to 2a in storage mode.

That would explain the 3h wait, i.e. none of your Lipos are damaged, just a very incompetent charger.
Yes it will work for you but at increased durations.

Thanks for the quick informative replies. Charger shopping today then.
A couple more questions -

what is a 1c rate ?
And how much should I look to spend on a ‘ good enough ‘ charger. I can’t see us going up in the rc car world but you never know and I also want to buy something that’s got a good reputation and is safe and more than adequate for our needs.

We had a house fire a few years ago and lost the whole upstairs due to a faulty phone battery so there’s a bit of paranoia about as well :) I’m charging upstairs at the moment but only while I’m in the room. Also in a lipo bag which is sat in an ammo tin.

Thanks a lot,

Jim.

Paranoia is healthy, to a degree. Lipo bags are useless for these type batteries. Ammo cans are ok if the seal is removed, and they are on a fireproof surface. Tiles etc will work just fine.

1C is the typical spec for a lipo to be charged, some can do more.
1C is calculated with my example above.
$100-$150 for a good charger. ISDT or HOTA are the typical choices.

You will only find a 150W/channel charger on AC. Suggest to stay with AC (plug into wall) for now.
My personal recommendation is the HOTA D6+ but examples are below.

Check Specs that matter:
Power per channel (100-150W on AC), the higher, the better.
Balance current - greater than 1A, the higher the better

Chargers:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back