How to store a LiPo battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that. Didn’t get around to buying the charger today but I’ll either do it in a bit or tomorrow.

A bit more confusion from me again now. I put the bigger battery (7100mah) in storage and it went through and completed in around 30 mins ? They were both run down to the point where the car wouldn’t move anymore so super confused now as to why the smaller 5ah kept timing out. Could it be damaged or a lesser quality battery ?

I’ve seen a few of the HOTA D6 chargers on Amazon with a bit of price different and not many reviews. Are there fakes around ? Hopefully I’ve attached a screenshot of the ones that have popped up.

Cheers guys.

FCB33F85-7F51-4F2C-A399-95B6092F87B2.png

Thanks for that. Didn’t get around to buying the charger today but I’ll either do it in a bit or tomorrow.

A bit more confusion from me again now. I put the bigger battery (7100mah) in storage and it went through and completed in around 30 mins ? They were both run down to the point where the car wouldn’t move anymore so super confused now as to why the smaller 5ah kept timing out. Could it be damaged or a lesser quality battery ?

I’ve seen a few of the HOTA D6 chargers on Amazon with a bit of price different and not many reviews. Are there fakes around ? Hopefully I’ve attached a screenshot of the ones that have popped up.

Cheers guys.

View attachment 189073
It's just different sellers selling them is all you want the $119 one with Prime shipping.

Not aware of fakes, they are the OEM for other market names.
No idea what's going on with your Lipos and that charger. Technically impossible to charge in 30 min with those charger specs or the batteries weren't that depleted, compared to the others.

That’s worrying then ! The battery was definitely drained to a point where the car didn’t run.

Fingers crossed the new charger will sort out any issues…. Which brings me neatly over to my next question :)
I’ve got the hota d6+ but it didn’t come with any cables, could someone pls tell me what I need to look for and also the other end of it with the T shape fitting. Pic attached.

Edited to ask another question !

With the balancing slot I’ve got a 3s cable and a multi slot board.

If I use the 3s cable should it be fitted tight to the left side to incorporate ‘-‘ or start from 1? I assume start at ‘-‘ but no harm in checking.
Next question is if I use the board every slot is taken but which way around should it be fitted. It seems to fit comfortably 1 way only but then leaves the slots for the board facing down! Maybe I’ve just got a crap Amazon one but it wasn’t the cheapest.

Thanks a lot.
Jim .

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
That’s worrying then ! The battery was definitely drained to a point where the car didn’t run.

Fingers crossed the new charger will sort out any issues…. Which brings me neatly over to my next question :)
I’ve got the hota d6+ but it didn’t come with any cables, could someone pls tell me what I need to look for and also the other end of it with the T shape fitting. Pic attached.

Edited to ask another question !

With the balancing slot I’ve got a 3s cable and a multi slot board.

If I use the 3s cable should it be fitted tight to the left side to incorporate ‘-‘ or start from 1? I assume start at ‘-‘ but no harm in checking.
Next question is if I use the board every slot is taken but which way around should it be fitted. It seems to fit comfortably 1 way only but then leaves the slots for the board facing down! Maybe I’ve just got a crap Amazon one but it wasn’t the cheapest.

Thanks a lot.
Jim .

View attachment 190183

View attachment 190186

I think that is right as long as both the 1s are the same color wire. Looking at other balance boards across the web they would all connect like that.

You need a cable with an XT-60 female plug on one end to connect to the charger and a Deans female plug on the other end to connect to the T shape battery plug. Depending on your ESC, motor and battery cell count you may want to swap out the Deans plug on the battery for something that can handle more current.

Balance board is plugged in correct.
I do not recommend connecting the batteries directly to the charger into the balance port. If you damage a pin the charger is out of commission, always use an adapter or as you did a balance board. The balance connector has these 2 alignment bulges, that determines how to plug in the connector, don't force it in the wrong way.

XT60 to whatever connection you use are abundant.
Example:
https://smile.amazon.com/ShareGoo-Connector-Converter-Adapter-Battery/dp/B07SK99GZL

Sorry guys, I’ve got another one of my never ending Lipo questions.

New charger came, new cables came, 2 batteries charged. 1st outing and steering thing snapped within 5 mins. 1 full battery and 1 pretty full battery at home now and it sure how long until we get the car fixed.

I’m pretty sure I have to put the batteries in storage. Have selected storage mode on the D6 charger and cell voltage of 3.8v. Do I also need to select the ‘A’ as 5.0 for my current setting selection. I know it’s a 5000mah battery but is my actual target still 5.0 even as it just being stored.
I’m assuming I tell the charger that it’s a 5.0a battery and then the charger knows how much charge to add / take away ?

Thanks as always.

Jim.

image.jpg

Leave as is. Current setting is the same for storage or charging.
Just be aware that you are now discharging and that will only happen at low power and might take 12h.
Perfectly normal.

Thanks guys. 1 down but that was the lower capacity that we’d also managed to get some use out of.
I’d assume it’s a much safer / safe procedure to be discharging than charging. Would you leave it to do its stuff over night or turn it off for safety regardless ?

Turning into an expensive hobby ! Looking at the spares list for the car a while ago…. Hopefully won’t be going through too many of those parts !

Jim.

Yes, it's safe. You can also leave the Lipo's charged but wouldn't recommend longer than a week. Mainly because you will forget stuff after 1 week, at least I do :ROFLMAO:
You can get a dedicated discharger if this often happens or, just like all of us, get a 2nd rig and a 3rd just in case the 2nd breaks as well. 😇

No idea if you have to set a max timer setting, I've never used that feature.

After reading this Thread the other day, i went out and bought a couple cinder blocks today, drilled a few holes in the side and put my lipo's in. Put another one on top. Goin away for a week and kind of like the house to be here when I return. Interesting reading !!

Like to store them outside...but its -20 here at night....read somewhere that they don't like the cold...

So ya, love to store them outside, I'm up here in the frozen north, wont use them now for 2 months or so , would it be fine to leave them in a barbecue when its 20 or 30 below? Barbecue being off! :D I thought i read different..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back