How to store a LiPo battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No issue up to -20F or so. You only have to bring them back to operating temps prior use. The actual cell voltage will drop significantly, i.e. don't try to charge or use until they are back at room temp for a couple of hours. The silver wrapper and insulation will be sensitive to cracking as well, just be gentle.
Not a crackpot suggestion, even though it sounds like it.
Do what you are comfortable doing, technically no issue. If in doubt, contact the Lipo manufacturer.

I have them contained in a cinder block with a hole drilled in the side, It will hold a fire. In the Garage, Should work fine. Thanks! sorry to hijack this thread!

The new G2 smart batteries self discharge down to storage voltage if left over storage voltage for 72h. Pretty neat tech. So pricy though.

Beat the crap out of my batteries and haven't burned this box while charging yet, but too many past experiences with energetic materials gone awry to not be a stickler for safety now, so I'm still always doing the deed with protection.
2022-08-01_batsafe_d6.jpg

the one thing i will say if you store or carry lipos batteries in an ammo can make sure you vent the can . right under the latch on most ammo cans is a circle , drill 4 holes in it , you have to vent the can just incase the lipo battery catches fire if not you will have a bomb , the ammo cans are air tight . the lipo bags , i have and use them but i don't think they will do much good in a fire . i use the one's that have a handle on them and i keep them on the passenger seat when i drive to and from the field , just incase i can toss them out the window . never leave a charging battery unattended .

Would I be okay to store lipo batteries in a plastic shed inside a Bat-safe all year round in the UK without any issues?

Would I also be able to charge them outside all year round?

The videos in this thread have put me off storing or charging inside. If an issue happened while charging inside and you got it out the window it would have still produced harmful smoke.

Storing is fine at any temp (I wouldn't go above 120F/40C)
Charging only above ~50F (10C). This is probably very conservative.
Don't use your lipos at all below ~40F (5C). I'd bring them to room temp before doing anything.

Yes, you can run in the snow etc. Just warm up the lipos prior to charging (room temp) and keep them warm until you use them.

The best solution, although definitely not the cheapest is the Bat-Safe. https://www.bat-safe.com/

I just use the Ammo cans they sell at Harbor Freight, buy them when they are on sale and use the 20% off coupon. https://www.harborfreight.com/50-cal-metal-ammo-can-63181.html

Lipos 99.9% of the time will either go up while being charged or while being used.
Well I think that some fire blanket wrapped around batteries or fixed in the ammo box this coming from welder which you take and layer it should be good in ammo box .You can get it at welding store or some thick leather sleeves also wrapped

I have been using lipo bags but i am now thinking of getting a ammo crate. But do you use extension cables to charge them inside or what ? The EC5 cables are long enough but that other ones (what they called ?) Are real short.

I have been using lipo bags but i am now thinking of getting a ammo crate. But do you use extension cables to charge them inside or what ? The EC5 cables are long enough but that other ones (what they called ?) Are real short.
I keep a long EC5 cable through the rubber seal in my Bat-Safe all the time, and I use EC5 adapters for the different types of batteries I own. I also have an extension cable on the balance board so the board is always inside the Bat-Safe. By using adapters, I never have to thread different cables through the rubber seal: all I have to do is change adapters.

I store my lipos in small ammo cans, they are pretty cheap. I try not to store them all in one can. If one catches fire they will all go so I use a couple small 30caliber us surplus cans which will hold 3 or 4 big lipos. They run around $5-10 and can be found either on the net or locally at an army/navy store. I can’t see those fiberglass lipo bags being better and they are around the same price. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...plus-m19a1-30-caliber-ammo-can-used?a=1586609
I’ve never had any fires thankfully but others have so maybe they will chime in.
Edit, I think my cans are a little taller than the one in the link. Mine say 250 cartridges where these are only 200. They come in all shapes and sizes and are cheap, just make sure the ones you order are metal.
Ammo cans are great for storing your lipos when they are in storage , remember lipos don’t go out once they catch on fire ( i do believe sand helps smother the fire ). What you now have is a BOMB because the ammo can is airtight. what i do is drill 4 holes in the cercle under the latch. Hopefully the vent will keep the fire and soot low . when transporting lipos to the track or field i use lipo bags with a handle and place them on the passenger seat within reach , the reason is if they start to do anything they are going out the window . we bash our cars and trucks and the batteries are subject to violent crashes an hits, check your lipos after a day of bashing ,any sign of damage to the battery , toss it , not worth a fire . i have seen batteries catch fire and burn the cars , trucks and planes to a crisp , not funny if its yours .
be safe .

Had one blow up in my basement. Wasn't pleasant. My fault though. Rush charged wrong setting and forgot. Thought I was doing a storage charge. Which I was. But was on 3s instead of 2s

Oops

I'm a bit scared of these things now. But yeah. Mostly will go boom after bashing or charging wrong. If they do

Ammo can may be fine if you leave the top cracked as it will blow them apart.

Was like a small bomb went off

Had to put out the fire and open windows for 2 days

May buy a bat safe soon.

I have been using bags and was thinking of doing the ammo can thing but I have so many batteries now I would a handful so I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get 1 or 2 of the bat-safe xl containers when I can afford it.

I have been using bags and was thinking of doing the ammo can thing but I have so many batteries now I would a handful so I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get 1 or 2 of the bat-safe xl containers when I can afford it.
Those bags burn. Watched one go next to the battery that blew up. Was nothing left of it

Those bags burn. Watched one go next to the battery that blew up. Was nothing left of it
Yeah, I know. For now, I keep them in a very open space on the concrete basement floor away from anything flammable. They are a few feet from the 'grey water' floor drain, and I have 2 or 3 fire extinguishers in the area until I finally get the bat safes.

Oke so i went and got 2 ammo boxes for €10 each. Pulled the rubber gasket out on all sides except where it closes so it still closes nicely and the pressure can escape if things go south.

Gonna convert 1 into a charging box by making some holes to run the cables trough and keep the other for storage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back