How to store a LiPo battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this video from the Rajucam guy testing the Bat-Safe. Not sure why he stuck a 16,000mah 6s lipo in there though...............
OMG!

That end of the video is a total facepalm... "Not suitable for batteries over the allowed rating." Really? You don't say?! It's almost like they had an "allowed rating" there for a reason or something.

I thought the manual says max 10000mAh.
Offcourse everything has it's limits but this is the safest way of charging lipo's i could find.
Also have temp sensors from the charger into the box. I just won't wait for this:

That one dude was not putting down that sandwich.

OMG!

That end of the video is a total facepalm... "Not suitable for batteries over the allowed rating." Really? You don't say?! It's almost like they had an "allowed rating" there for a reason or something.
He must have done that to show what can happen if using a battery that is larger than what the box was designed for.

That one dude was not putting down that sandwich.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y) Must have been a good sandwich

OMG!

As i said everything has it's limits. Putting a nuke in an ammo box won't help either ;)

Where do you charge and store your batteries? Garage is a quite good place, also for me but what about low temperatures and frost damage? Any experiences?

Where do you charge and store your batteries? Garage is a quite good place, also for me but what about low temperatures and frost damage? Any experiences?

Its not advised to store them / charge them in super cold temps, I personally charge inside but I don't leave the same room there in until there done charging, If I do gotta go I unplug them from the charger.

Lipo bags to reduce chances of my house catching fire and a window nearby I can toss the whole shebang out case it does catch fire.

but yeah cold temps tend to drain batterys.

Interesting. That's the first time I've heard about these. Why do you believe these are the best solution?

@paulybatz - I would recommend going to your local Army surplus store (if you have one) and pick up a used metal ammo box. These can usually be bought from a surplus store for around $10.

If you don't have an Army surplus store you can get them online.

I would then drill 2-3 small holes into the top and sides of the box. For charging, I would also recommend getting a large LiPo bag.

Together, this would keep you and your batteries protected while they are being stored and while they are being charged. With much less fear of burning your house, garage, or shed down.

or your wife's she-shed!!! Never hear the end of that one

I'm new to Lipo's and use lipo bags along with an ammo can....just in case. As I stated in another forum, I also store my lipo's in the iron wood burning stove when we aren't using it.

I just bought my 4th Bat-Safe and this is what it can take:
20190118_153327.jpg

I'm also curious as where everybody charges and stores their batteries..??
I don't have a garage and also live in England so its always cold..?, I charge my batteries outside in the garden and I own one medium sized ammo crate, but I've been storing my batteries just in the house on a shelf..!!
Some of those vid's are proper scary..!!!
I've seen all those youtube's before with fires etc, but never one that just goes off all by itself..
Think its time to store them in ammo crates outside, my worry is the low temp though..??
I did see one vid where they fill the ammo crate half way with sand and partially cover the batteries..

Ok i change my lipos on a baking tray on the oven top, in a lipo bag, as I don't think I'll be able to get hold of ammo cans as i live in the UK, and store them in a lipo bag on my celler/basement steps been thinking about getting a fire proof filing box

What about some of the smaller roys that come with the.little 1 cell lipos. Should i be concerned with them and not leave them in the toy? Store them in a fire case? Smaller batteries like this

I'm also curious as where everybody charges and stores their batteries..??
I don't have a garage and also live in England so its always cold..?, I charge my batteries outside in the garden and I own one medium sized ammo crate, but I've been storing my batteries just in the house on a shelf..!!
Some of those vid's are proper scary..!!!
I've seen all those youtube's before with fires etc, but never one that just goes off all by itself..
Think its time to store them in ammo crates outside, my worry is the low temp though..??
I did see one vid where they fill the ammo crate half way with sand and partially cover the batteries..

I found when we aren't using the fire place it makes a great storage/charging station:D. We also have a stone hearth which I use with an ammo can and lipo bags when the stove is in use.

Attachments

• 20190311_195316.jpg
    20190311_195316.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 105
I found when we aren't using the fire place it makes a great storage/charging station:D. We also have a stone hearth which I use with an ammo can and lipo bags when the stove is in use.
Sounds so stupid on the surface but really it's genius

I'm using a ammo can with fire bricks that you use to line wood stoves with. My question is, what do I need to put between the fire bricks and batteries? Or is it alright to just use the bricks?

I'm using a ammo can with fire bricks that you use to line wood stoves with. My question is, what do I need to put between the fire bricks and batteries? Or is it alright to just use the bricks?
Bricks are good.
They are the safety barrier so unless you want more safety barriers you should be good.
An added safety barrier could be a lipo fire safe bag.

I was wondering if maybe, like older car batteries, they always said not to leave them sitting on concrete because it would drain them. I don't know if that was an old wives tale but it got me thinking about these batteries sitting on the fire brick. I will for sure get a lipo bag. My next project is to take a ammo can, line the bottom and sides with fire brick, drill a hole in the side for the charge wires and maybe put a sand bag on the lid. Does anybody make a extension for the balance plug or will I have to skip balance charging in it and balance charge on the cook stove like I have been. Old girl is getting tired of my stuff sitting on top of the stove, she doesn't use it for anything, it just looks "junky" with my stuff all over the kitchen. LOL.

I keep mine in a couple of clay flower pots in the shed. Mostly storage charged, sometimes full (if I intend to run the next day), never empty.
Low temps shouldn't hurt them, just bring them to room-ish temp before using/charging.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back