Kraton How To Straighten Bent Dog Bones (Driveshafts)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Duke

Community Leader
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Notorious
  5. Outcast 6s
  6. Talion
  7. Typhon 6s
I know I’ve covered this before but I think it was in the “what did you work on today” thread so I’ll make a dedicated thread on how to do this here since that’s what I’m working on at the moment.

If you haven’t bent a driveshaft or dog bone yet, give it some time, you’ll bend one eventually.

Yesterday I noticed that one of my rear shafts was bent, so here’s how I straighten them back out.
It’s an old man trick that I learned a long time ago called “the 3 bolt method”.

You will need a vice, 3 random bolts (doesn’t really matter what size) and a bent shaft.

459D144E-3B2B-4CF6-8488-686D118024A0.jpeg

Take your 3 bolts and arrange them in the vice like so...
7CC7254D-6F55-401D-AAD0-398125AC7108.jpeg

Hold the position of the bolts and open the vice so that you can slide the shaft in between the 3 with the arch of the bend resting against the singe bolt
DC14AB8F-EA5D-47B3-99F2-9DC13F85A960.jpeg

slowly close the vice and watch the shaft as you just want to hyperextend the bend in the opposite direction. Go slow, you can snap the shaft if you bend it back too much. Take the pressure off and see where the shaft flexes back. Repeat this process until it’s perfectly straight again.

Some are easy and you get it on one or two tries. Sometimes it takes a dozen or so before you find just the right amount of pressure needed to straighten it.

Done, and good as new.
9A79133E-B124-4AA8-A593-EE7F6410A02C.jpeg

2093489D-FEDF-4429-B9FD-7673757F3AA1.jpeg

Hope this helps.

I’ve been using a vice and a ball peen and what a pain in the arse. Going to try this 3 bolt method . I have a pile of bones I would love to be straight. Like ten bucks a pop.

What do you think about the 8mm titanium ones I’ve seen. Are they the best upgrade available? I told myself a long time ago I would just straighten rather than get new but I was younger and dumber.

I know I’ve covered this before but I think it was in the “what did you work on today” thread so I’ll make a dedicated thread on how to do this here since that’s what I’m working on at the moment.

If you haven’t bent a driveshaft or dog bone yet, give it some time, you’ll bend one eventually.

Yesterday I noticed that one of me rear shafts was bent so here’s how I straighten them back out.
It’s an old man trick that I learned a long time ago called “the 3 bolt method”.

You will need a vice, 3 random bolts (doesn’t really matter what size) and a bent shaft.

View attachment 66915

View attachment 66914

Hold the position of the bolts and open the vice so that you can slide the shaft in between the 3 with the arch of the bend resting against the singe bolt
View attachment 66916

slowly close the vice and watch the shaft as you just want to hyperextend the bend in the opposite direction. Go slow, you can snap the shaft if you bend it back too much. Take the pressure off and see where the shaft flexes back. Repeat this process until it’s perfectly straight again.

Some are easy and you get it on one or two tries. Sometimes it takes a dozen or so before you
the right amount of pressure needed to straighten it.

Done, and good as new.
View attachment 66917
View attachment 66918
Hope this helps.
Thanks @Mr.Duke. I've been using this method since the first time you showed us. I've managed to save a lot of drive shafts this way, and a lot of money too. Works just as effectively in a smaller vice as well. An extra person to help set it up is a good idea. They can hold two of the bolts in place while you hold the third and line up the driveshaft. Done it by myself plenty of times too, just with a lot more swearing when the bolts fall down and I have to start over.

Thanks @Mr.Duke. I've been using this method since the first time you showed us. I've managed to save a lot of drive shafts this way, and a lot of money too. Works just as effectively in a smaller vice as well. An extra person to help set it up is a good idea. They can hold two of the bolts in place while you hold the third and line up the driveshaft. Done it by myself plenty of times too, just with a lot more swearing when the bolts fall down and I have to start over.
Yeah....This is definitely one of those times in life where you wished you had three hands instead of just two. I’ve found that if you threaten the bolts and say mean things to them before you start the process they tend to behave better and not throw themselves on the floor as often. Every once in awhile you have to make an example out of one or more and throw them as far across the shop as possible then just go get a new one. ?

Here’s a pic from a front I attempted to straighten awhile back

I like to use bolts that aren’t threaded all the way up to give a smooth flat surface to press against.
I probably should’ve mentioned that I my OP
5E2B5B7E-D37D-421E-A0B2-33D172EB6064.png

Actually... I think this was the one I snapped in two by going too far, too quickly
C133FD9B-0455-4F87-8C71-60E8BB470712.png

so don’t do that ^

Last edited:

Yesterday I noticed that one of my rear shafts was bent, so here’s how I straighten them back out.

View attachment 66915

View attachment 66914

View attachment 66916

Some are easy and you get it on one or two tries. Sometimes it takes a dozen or so before you find just the right amount of pressure needed to straighten it.

Done, and good as new.
View attachment 66917
View attachment 66918
Hope this helps.
Solid gold for my needs right now.

View attachment 66915

View attachment 66914

View attachment 66916

Done, and good as new.
View attachment 66917
View attachment 66918
Hope this helps.
I just need a vise and workbench now. Thanks ?

Here’s a pic from a front I attempted to straighten awhile back

I like to use bolts that aren’t threaded all the way up to give a smooth flat surface to press against.
I probably should’ve mentioned that I my OP
View attachment 66950
Actually... I think this was the one I snapped in two by going too far, too quickly
View attachment 66951

so don’t do that ^
Need to tag this for @Orebro80 and anyone else that might want to give straightening their axles a go. Thanks again @Mr.Duke

That looks pretty dangerous to the internal parts ?.. I think I’d rather take the axle out.
Yeah, I would just do it outside. With my luck, I'll probably break the drive cup, or the control arm, or an internal gear ?

Yeah, I would just do it outside. With my luck, I'll probably break the drive cup, or the control arm, or an internal gear ?
i used it a bunch of times and nothing broke ! just do it like i do ! there shouldn't be stress on the diff outdrive.
i don't have much time when bashing so i need quick fix !!

Back