Typhon How tough are the 3s's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazy Bushman

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
Hey guys I'm looking for some honest feedback on the Arrma 3S line, and more specifically the Typhon 3S.

Problem - I recently bought some more 3S batteries but didn't check the physically dimensions (does anyone??) and of course together they are too large from my 6S Kraton. What to do?

Solution - Buy a Typhon 3S

I was about to pull the trigger the other night on one but read on another forum someone having huge problems with their and bagged the 3S format badly. I'm not suggesting his experience is any different to how he explained it, not do I care about analysing it. What I am interested in garnishing the thoughts of my Arrma Brethren on the format and more specifically the Typhon. The guy who posted managed to break a lot of stuff with fairly tame driving yet @Rich Duperbash thinks it's awesome. Are these the two extreme ends of the performance scale.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hey guys I'm looking for some honest feedback on the Arrma 3S line, and more specifically the Typhon 3S.

Problem - I recently bought some more 3S batteries but didn't check the physically dimensions (does anyone??) and of course together they are too large from my 6S Kraton. What to do?

I was about to pull the trigger the other night on one but read on another forum someone having huge problems with their and bagged the 3S format badly. I'm not suggesting his experience is any different to how he explained it, not do I care about analysing it. What I am interested in garnishing the thoughts of my Arrma Brethren on the format and more specifically the Typhon. The guy who posted managed to break a lot of stuff with fairly tame driving yet @Rich Duperbash thinks it's awesome. Are these the two extreme ends of the performance scale.

Great solution to your battery problem, hope you find the responses you were looking for.

I don't own the Typhon 3s but I have a lot of experience with the 3s line. For the money, you can't beat them. The biggest weak spots are the a-arms and the wheel driveshafts. But you can now upgrade the arms to RPM and I think the smaller tires on the Typhon make the driveshafts a non-issue. If I didn't already own a 6s Typhon I'd be all over the 3s.

Some pros: super light and easy to transport, very easy to work on, outside of a-arms they are very tough, fast and jumps great (based on all I've seen), 17mm wheel hexes.

Negatives: slipper clutch can be tricky if you aren't familiar with them, no center diff, steering can get sloppy, stock servo is meh (get an ADS-15).

If you enjoy buggies you will love the 3s Typhon.

I'm not a big fan on slippers, I have a Traxxas with one and messed around with others and to be honest it is the one thing I dislike, but hey it is what it is. I had been waiting on a good eBay discount to grab the 6S until I messed up with the batteries

I'm not a big fan on slippers, I have a Traxxas with one and messed around with others and to be honest it is the one thing I dislike, but hey it is what it is. I had been waiting on a good eBay discount to grab the 6S until I messed up with the batteries
I've never had an issue with the slipper. I set it tight and that's it. Never come loose. I mentioned it because of what I've seen with other people. Again, on a buggy you could set it nice and tight and not worry too much.

I can only speak from my experience on the Granite so take this how you want but the thing is TOUGH. Slap a T-Bone bumper on the front, upgrade the shock rod ends and I can just about hit anything with it. The thin plastic pivot balls wear down after hard driving and cause the steering linkage to get loose but other than that I love it! It still tracks in a straight line so no big deal. Not sure about the Typhon tire compound but the Granite tires are thin and soft and I’ve been tearing side walls easily....but I really like the tires so I’m driving them until they explode and I’m almost there so....

My Typhon is super durable.

I use it only on 3s, mostly on track (so only medium sized jumps) and on asphalt. I had days where i literally drove it on a track for 5-6 packs in a row. my total breakages are 2 bent camber links and the wing is half broken (from a truggy landing on it). Never had issues with either the slipper or driveshaft or a-arms.

The best thing about it is how easy it is to work on, i think this platform is a must just due to the wrenching/driving ratio.

The only negative thing i have to say is that the shocks leaks and require refilling every few weeks. it's not a biggy, just have a 40w oil on hand.

I think that as long as you keep it close to stock, it is extreamly durable and well built, but if you change to a bigger motor, bigger tires etc etc, then you'll have issues.

I chose the Typhon after doing research on the 3S line.... I don’t get much bash time but it’s a tough rig... I hit some poop that a normal RC would be in pieces... Other than putting the 6S shocks on... Its stock. I’ll upgrade when needed... So far it hasn’t disappointed me in the least. I highly recommended one.

I recently picked one up and the only real issue I've had is that the factory tires didn't seem to be glued properly. I ripped one apart first run on 3s and realized that 2 of the other tires were separated from the rim in a few spots. I picked up some Katar wheels off eBay and haven't had any problems since. Also, has anyone else noticed that they break in a bit? When I first took it out of the box I thought it rolled a bit stiff but after about 15-20 packs it's really loosened up. Front and rear differentials/ring gear seem to drag a lot less.

People have all kinds of experiences, viewpoints, expectations....etc. I've beat on mine hard and have had minimal problems. I do take great care tuning, maintaining, and being somewhat thoughtful about how I'm bashing it. It shouldn't break anything with "tame" driving unless it's a fluke. For 300$ you'll be hard pressed to find a better performing rig IMO?

I bumped my 3S Typhon up to 6S with a castle motor, and have only broke 1 driveshaft yoke. That's all. They are tough. Like Bickety said, I cranked my slipper down tight, no problems since.

I just got my Tyhon 3S and I love it , it flys and seems very durable , I had a Granite 3 S and it was pretty much bullet proof , I just like the buggy's better and the Typhon handles way better on the speed runs than my Granite did, probably due to wider stance and longer body im sure..

I love my Typhon 3S...haven’t replaced a single thing on it. Threw a 6s tbone racing front bumper on it and that’s it. I’ve only run 3S in it and in my neighborhood I definitely like it better than my Kraton 4S I just got. I’m sure in the grass and with some big jumps the Kraton will pull ahead but I haven’t had a chance to get it out yet.

If you do need some more clearance for the grass, I recommend the Proline Badlands 2.8s for the Typhon on some 17mm hex wheels. They give it some more clearance, a wider track width and it as more grip obviously. A fun upgrade if you bash off-road mostly.

I have the 3s Typhon and so far it's fun to drive, but the a arms are rather fragile.

ok I just pulled the trigger on the Typhon 3S. An expensive fix to my oversize 3s battery problem. I don't regret it but part of me says I should have bought the 6S model as that had been my intention until now, but no looking back, looking forward to it in many other ways, plus it leaves the door of irrational justification open to me buying a Notorious after I buy my wife some diamonds. After 25 years I have learned that diamonds are an excellent way to inducing amnesia concerning some of the stupid things I have done:). Plus the 3S is expected to arrive on my birthday and you can't get mad at the birthday boy(y)

I have a typhon 3s and as far as breakage, just the front a arm and a motor screw when I went to change the pinion, but arrma replaced my motor for free on that one. Other than those two, nothing else. The car runs great and overall its a great RC car. On 3s it's a blast to drive with a 17t pinion.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, I will be sure to keep it in mind. My plan is keep it pretty stock....that said I've now bought some T-Bone racing parts for it and now looking for some good shock options. In the back of my mind I will eventually upgrade it to a 4S platform but that it going to be ages away as I just don't get the time I would like to

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back