Typhon How tough are the 3s's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd suggest getting the rc car first, and enjoy it stock. I'd wait a longer for the upgrade parts to come out. I haven't too many after market parts for the car.

The Typhon is actually a well designed car to start. I've been very impressed with it. My last car was a rustler brushless version, and the typhon beats it hands down.

Yeah man, I know it’s good for the hobby when guys immediately buy and install all the upgrades but I don’t understand it. One thing, at least for me, hat keeps an RC “new” is working on it and adding upgrades along the way. For the most part I upgrade when stuff breaks

Edit - First upgrade I usually make is a front bumper.

Last edited:
There are parts I purchase pro-actively eg front bumper, and some reactively eg wing mounts. I will always try and purchase as much pro-actively as sensible as waiting a few weeks to get. These things include a-arms, shocks, diff parts etc as well as maintenance items like bearings. I’m also extremely time poor as are many people these days I guess, so when I get time to head out for a play, then down time is minimal. Spending a few hundred on parts to maximise my play time with my kids is a good investment

Great little buggy i love mine, Like said above a arms break.I wrecked mine at some serious speeds and only broke a arms and turnbuckles. But that happens when cartwheeling at over 100mph. No driveshaft problems and on 6s I've pushed mine to 134mph.

I just ripped another factory 2-HO tire after having received some replacements. They have fantastic traction, but I think the lugs are almost too large. I say this because one of the sidewall lugs ripped out in a way that doesn't look like a puncture or slash. It seems like the lug itself was so large that it caught on something and ripped the tire under it. In any case, I'm gluing it now and hoping that it will hold. I have many more 3s runs on the Katar tires and have not had any issues with them coming unglued or ripping, but I think this because they have fewer, less aggressive lugs. I know some people wondered if these tires would work on 6S variants, but I don't see that being sustainable. It's possible that I've had a run of bad luck, though, so maybe other people are running them without issue?

Last edited:
Great little buggy i love mine, Like said above a arms break.I wrecked mine at some serious speeds and only broke a arms and turnbuckles. But that happens when cartwheeling at over 100mph. No driveshaft problems and on 6s I've pushed mine to 134mph.
My plan was to buy a 6s Typhon but buying some 3s batteries that when together wouldn’t fit into my Kraton left me with the option of buying a 3s platform or ditching the batteries. I’m hoose the 3S Typhone but maybe I should have considered the BRCC

They Typhon was the first Arrma I bought. It has been thrashed and bashed most weekends and some weekdays by myself and even my 6yo.
I have truggified it and upgraded a few things since - Badlands 2.8s, Tbone bumper, Hobbywing Max10 and 3200kv combo, home made T2T brace, Savox 1211SG servo, Running a Futaba 3PV (for 3 x rcs), Helion shocks ( a little lower than std as I'm mostly bash racing with this one nowdays), sealed bearing kit and a Dusty Motors dust cover.

Over time (6mths?), some decent bashing/bash racing and my driving, I have only broken one A-arm, bent a couple others, a rear hub carrier, a couple of axle uni joints and aT-Bone bumper block (haven't we all?).
I have broken a chassis from jumping with it, skate parks are formidable lol. This also resulted in damaging the slipper clutch input spline as the body flexed madly with the crack in it. I think the chassis flexes too much anyway, hence the DIY T2T brace.
Threw a motor bearing which was covered by wty. WHile waiting for wty I bought the motor esc combo. I used the wty motor and orig esc to build a Granite for my son, but that's another story....
Bent 2 shock shafts. The orig shocks gave me no trouble, I only changed them to lower the ride a bit.
Chewed up a drive shaft from rocks getting into the driveline, hence the dust cover and tape over the chassis base. this has made a huge difference to the amout of crud ingested into the Typhon and a lot less repars/wear resulting.

The other expected result from the Badlands is faster wear in the plastic pivot balls in the front end, might look at alum next.

I also put in the new combo as it was 4s capable, have ran it a couple of times on 4s and it's crazy as! 3s is plenty useful as it is.

Overall, I'm happy with this 1/10 (now truggified) buggy!

For me, I'd say def upgrades would be;
- front bumper (T-bone?)
- dust cover and tape up holes in chassis base
- Badlands 2.8s
- bearing kit (get one that has steering arm bearings in it like Jims Bearings)
- Servo, optional (made a huge difference with the badlands and overall)
- radio, optiona,l but this made a huge diff too
- motor fan, optional, keeps temps down on long bash days but not great for big jumping as they break
Other things;
- slipper clutch, if you haven't already, red loctitie that sucker in, tighten and back off 1/2 a turn.
- buy a box of bits from Jenny's RC, bag of bolts, hubs, slipper clutch, axles, arms, pinion etc. Some of that stuff is very cheap and will save you in the long run.

20190520_204423.jpg
20190520_203943.jpg
20190520_204335.jpg

May I ask a dumb question?

If you can't fit two 3s packs in a 6s Arrma, is there a chance the same battery won't fit in a 3s Arrma? I guess what I mean is which dimension doesn't work with the two together on the 6s Arrma?

May I ask a dumb question?

If you can't fit two 3s packs in a 6s Arrma, is there a chance the same battery won't fit in a 3s Arrma? I guess what I mean is which dimension doesn't work with the two together on the 6s Arrma?
MAAAATTTEEEE! Don't ask me that!:eek: That question presumes I did my research and didn't just lash out and buy something because I was annoyed at not doing my research on the batteries I bought in the first place.... :ROFLMAO:

In seriousness I didn't even think of that and you raise a good point. All I can do now is hope they fit otherwise I will be doubly annoyed as the more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm wishing I'd bought the BRCC that way it would be easier for me to justify the Typhon 6S but as it stands my next purchase will now likely be the Notorious. I still haven't told the wife the new car is coming. I was planning to work from home on the days it is expected to arrive but now I have to see clients in the city....living on the edge in the first world I guess

MAAAATTTEEEE! Don't ask me that!:eek: That question presumes I did my research and didn't just lash out and buy something because I was annoyed at not doing my research on the batteries I bought in the first place.... :ROFLMAO:

In seriousness I didn't even think of that and you raise a good point. All I can do now is hope they fit otherwise I will be doubly annoyed as the more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm wishing I'd bought the BRCC that way it would be easier for me to justify the Typhon 6S but as it stands my next purchase will now likely be the Notorious. I still haven't told the wife the new car is coming. I was planning to work from home on the days it is expected to arrive but now I have to see clients in the city....living on the edge in the first world I guess
Slippery slope mate, you're playing with fire. You need both I'm sure, or just run it with the stock radio, you'll need a new car soon enough then.

The funny thing is @Primarrma about 3 min after replying to your past post she pings me a text asking if I had bought myself another present...if only I wasn't currently in SA right now :)...She is all good but did question if all this "boys toys" stuff is the reason she is having trouble getting her bathrooms renovated.....this is code for me having to blow the cobwebs off my wallet I guess. New bathrooms surely deserve a Notorious???

The funny thing is @Primarrma about 3 min after replying to your past post she pings me a text asking if I had bought myself another present...if only I wasn't currently in SA right now :)...She is all good but did question if all this "boys toys" stuff is the reason she is having trouble getting her bathrooms renovated.....this is code for me having to blow the cobwebs off my wallet I guess. New bathrooms surely deserve a Notorious???
Speaking from experience it will go a long way to helping you get your new toy.

My wife even said to me the other day that, "every day it makes me happy that you did this work in the bathroom".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back