How well will spektrum motors handle 50k rpm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
I've had good experience with my HPI bullet stock motor running at 50k rpm (4000kv 3650 motor rated to 3s). I'm currently looking to run a 3150kv spektrum motor on 4s now for an experiment.

Background if you're interested.
My HPI bullet stock motor handles 50k rpm very nicely: smooth spin, smooth power. For the past year, until i ran into other parts issues, I ran it 1-2 times a week: dry pavement, in rain, and the dirt, and the motor bearings only needed to be replaced about every 6 months. That's a win in my books.

A while back i wanted to experiment with a little more speed/torque. So i put in a 3660 3150kv spektrum motor I had laying around (been running a 130a spektrum esc). I can't gear any higher (maxed out pinion, no smaller spurs besides Integy options), and speed is about the same as stock, so i'm going to try running the spektrum motor on 4s.

Can i expect similar (aka, good) results from the spektrum motor as I did with the stock motor at ~50k rpm? If i run the spektrum on 4s, its in that range. Or should i expect catastrophy?

I've had good experience with my HPI bullet stock motor running at 50k rpm (4000kv 3650 motor rated to 3s). I'm currently looking to run a 3150kv spektrum motor on 4s now for an experiment.

My HPI bullet stock motor handles 50k rpm very nicely: smooth spin, smooth power. For the past year, until i ran into other parts issues, I ran it 1-2 times a week: dry pavement, in rain, and the dirt, and the motor bearings only needed to be replaced about every 6 months. That's a win in my books.

A while back i wanted to experiment with a little more speed/torque. So i put in a 3660 3150kv spektrum motor I had laying around (been running a 130a spektrum esc). I can't gear any higher (maxed out pinion, no smaller spurs besides Integy options), and speed is about the same as stock, so i'm going to try running the spektrum motor on 4s.

Can i expect similar (aka, good) results from the spektrum motor as I did with the stock motor at ~50k rpm? If i run the spektrum on 4s, its in that range. Or should i expect catastrophy?
You might be alright if you’re conservative with gearing.

Well considering Hobbywing makes both motors I would say chances are pretty good, I would replace the Spektrum motor bearings with ceramic hybrid motor bearings though.

Not sure if these are the correct bearings for that motor, these work in the Spektrum 3660 3200kv motor though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164167070536?epid=25022450825&hash=item26391eb348:g:WEMAAOSwlABhLoOv
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153903303309?epid=15027195203&hash=item23d55a0a8d:g:HLgAAOSwubVhLoQ5

Stock bearings are rated at 42k rpm. Other members seen the Kevlar and magnets explode above 60k, I believe logged was 76k but at some point logging stops being reliable.
Seems doable but why the heck would you, just saying. Get a lower kV and use a larger pinion.

Well considering Hobbywing makes both motors I would say chances are pretty good, I would replace the Spektrum motor bearings with ceramic hybrid motor bearings though.

Not sure if these are the correct bearings for that motor, these work in the Spektrum 3660 3200kv motor though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164167070536?epid=25022450825&hash=item26391eb348:g:WEMAAOSwlABhLoOv
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153903303309?epid=15027195203&hash=item23d55a0a8d:g:HLgAAOSwubVhLoQ5
These cans are usually a pain to get the bearings out. i might just replace when the bearings fail and take the gamble.
Stock bearings are rated at 42k rpm. Other members seen the Kevlar and magnets explode above 60k, I believe logged was 76k but at some point logging stops being reliable.
Seems doable but why the heck would you, just saying. Get a lower kV and use a larger pinion.
In my first post I mentioned that I can't gear any higher on the pinion. Motor is as far out as it goes on the mount unless i want to try and make a DIY motor/spur plate. Otherwise, i'd love to throw a lower kv motor and bigger pinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back