How would you remove this broken screw?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Snapped clean off inside the front voltage hobbies chassis brace. You you try using an extractor or slot with Dremel?

20190517_131445.jpg

I usually drill in with a 1,5mm drill bit and either drill it out or hit a torx bit inside and remove it with that torx bit and a electric screwdriver

I'd slot it with a dremel, heat it a bit with a torch, then back it out with a standard screwdriver.

If it was 4mm, then perhaps an ezout would work, but I'm not sure if there's enough material in a 3mm to drill it properly and use the ezout. I never bought an ezout... I just dremel them with a thin cutting disk and know I'm going to notch whatever it is I'm removing it from.

Does the hole go through? If so try drilling it from the other side and it may catch and unscrew itself. Since the bolt head is gone there won’t be too much tension holding it in there. If it’s a blind hole than the Drexel slotting method as mentioned above. If you drill it from the top it will just get tighter unless you have a left handed drill bit and easyout.

It's a blind hole....well not anymore. I drilled it out. Too small to slot and too small for the extractor. I have to tap it which I will at some point. What a pain in the ass.

If you want to stick with 3mm so you don't have to drill out the hole in the steering plate, go with a helicoil. I thought about drilling mine out on my hot racing brace, but I'm not sure there would be much material left on the steering plate once drilled to 4mm, so I didn't. I just didn't care for the thought of using a 3mm screw there. Would rather it was a beefier 4mm.

Didn’t I see somewhere guys drilling out the top plate and brace and using a 4mm screw with a nut on the top of the steering plate? You could just drill through the brace, drill the top plate 4mm, put the screw in it from the bottom up through the top plate and some lock tight and a nut on top. No tapping needed and way stronger.

A threaded insert. So basically you drill and tap a hole specified by the size helicoil you plan to use, then thread the helicoil into the hole.

For example, if you put a helicoil in plastic, the screw would be threaded into the metal helicoil rather than the plastic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_insert

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back