Vorteks How would you upgrade a Vorteks Boost to 3S? And what extra costs to consider(like wheelie bars, esc + motor + slipper clutch etc)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to get my son a 3S Vorteks or Granite. I got a Vorteks 3S BLX but Im not happy with the Spektrum family. So I am thinking to just take this opportunity and build myself a new car and my son would get my electrics in his car.

So if you were to do this, what esc + motor you d do it with? How about receiver/transmitter? ( i am new and I like AVC, it helps me on tarmac, but Id be open to upgrade to a better transmitter/receiver combo w AVC like tech), i know the wheelie bar is extra cost. I know the Boost has different clutch (if any), I now remember I also would need the 4x4 upgrade.

Am I forgetting anything? I also found my Vorteks super wobbly all around 4 tyres. Is there easy fix for that or I can shim it? Or I can buy better arms/driveshafts/hubs etc?

I appreciate your help!
Welcome back to RC'ing I have a Vorteks, Granite and Typhon all 3s Granite and Typhon are a better buy but all three need to upgrade the slipper clutch spur gear to metal. I would recommend the Dumborc 6X radio and receiver I run that in all my cars

Yes they are two totally different slipper clutches:
You see the 3S slipper has more pads, if you use metal spur then even one extra(total of 4).

Im sure you know at this point, but to upgrade a Boost to similar 3S will probably take you into the $550 in total costs. Parts are just too expensive, it worths more to straight buy the 3S blx.

If you, however don't mind the money and want the experience, its gonna be an amazing journey building a 3s out of a boost

View attachment 268328

View attachment 268329

Thanks for the info, learning as I go. Apologies for the slight thread hijack, but I hope this is relevant to the original poster.

I definitely see the 3S BLX as the better value, but am looking at working on this with my kids over time. We just installed the 4x4 conversion kit today and showed my oldest how to switch the ESC jumper when running in 2S.

One quick follow up question. The plan is to eventually go brushless but keep running it in 2S to help control the speeds (young kids, corner yard where they could send it into traffic too easily if ripping off 50 mph!). I was considering the Spektrum 3300Kv motor with 85A 2S/3S ESC. With this setup, would you still recommend swapping out the slipper clutch and spur gear? Is there any risk to using the existing clutch, and if it burns out then upgrading to the one from the 3S BLX line? Really only looking to get this thing running at around 30 MPH on 2S.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, learning as I go. Apologies for the slight thread hijack, but I hope this is relevant to the original poster.

I definitely see the 3S BLX as the better value, but am looking at working on this with my kids over time. We just installed the 4x4 conversion kit today and showed my oldest how to switch the ESC jumper when running in 2S.

One quick follow up question. The plan is to eventually go brushless but keep running it in 2S to help control the speeds (young kids, corner yard where they could send it into traffic too easily if ripping off 50 mph!). I was considering the Spektrum 3300Kv motor with 85A 2S/3S ESC. With this setup, would you still recommend swapping out the slipper clutch and spur gear? Is there any risk to using the existing clutch, and if it burns out then upgrading to the one from the 3S BLX line? Really only looking to get this thing running at around 30 MPH on 2S.
You can get a 3S spur assembly for $40ish and a 4s metal spur for around $50, but if you’re just going to keep it on 2s then simply add the below spur gear to the existing hub and it’ll work fine. The composite spur gear is solid. If the mesh is right and motor mount straight, it’ll last for a long time. I have composite spurs that are 2 years old and still good. The metal one is only needed for 4s power, otherwise it’s unnecessary weight. Light weight is an inherent part of the durability with the 3s line.

That combo that you noted will work but if you want to move up to 3S someday, best stick with 100 amp ESC minimum. For the motor I like the surpass rocket 3665, 3000-3200kv motor (40-50 bucks). Check out jennysrc.com. You can get a stock blx 100 ESC for less than 50 bucks. A 4s, 120a esc is around $75. I avoid cheap surpass ESCs. You can cheap out on the motor but not the ESC. The stock 3s esc is a rebranded hobbywing. It’s pretty solid.

I do prefer the surpass motors over the spectrum stock motor though. They are well built, last longer and are plenty powerful. Stock is 3660 (36mm diameter can, 60mm long). I forgot what car you have, but the surpass 3665 (a longer can motor runs cooler and stronger) fits nicely in the short wheelbase chassis (granite/vorteks) and the 3670 fits well in the long wheelbase chassis (big rock/typhon/senton).

You’ll also need a metal motor mount. The stock plastic one sucks honestly and won’t handle brushless power very well. The best stock motor mount is the new one on the 4s Kraton/outcast, vendetta and 3s infraction. It’s 6mm thick instead of 5mm and is far stronger than the old mount. Leaps and bounds stronger. Same price also pretty much. $21ish on Jenny’s. You’ll need a pinion also, 5mm bore (motor shaft size), .08 mod. $8-12 typically. Don’t get an Arrma ‘safety d’ pinion as they only fit the spectrum motors.

* Jennysrc.com is a parts breaker. Most of the prices I quoted are theirs. They buy bulk new cars, break them down and sell the parts. Many are half-2/3rds the cost of new. Even if you’re not in the US I’ve heard the prices are great, even after shipping and all those other weird fees they have in Europe. Enjoy the hobby with your kids!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back